SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Managing ovulation when semen is unavailable

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Methods » Managing ovulation when semen is unavailable « Previous Next »

Saffron
Breeding Stock
Username: Saffron

Post Number: 175
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 01:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok I have 2 mares in season and of course just before easter!!!!!

The problem is that semen is not available on the holidays so i cannot get any saturday cos they cant ship good friday, none on monday cos they cant ship sunday, none tuesday and none wednesday!!!!
So my vet wants to give the mares an injection friday so they will as he says ovulate sunday(the one day we can get semen) he reckons 32 hours after the jab they will ovulate???
What if they ovulate too early?
What if they dont ovulate we dont get semen mon tues or weds?
Is this the right way to go? I am not sure what we should do for the best here!

cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 168
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 05:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds to me like your vet has a good plan. sure things can happen and you can woulda shoulds this to death but in the end sounds like your vet's plan is it.

Heather Kutyba
Breeding Stock
Username: Heatherck11

Post Number: 525
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 09:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saffron,
Is your vet tracking your mares with an ultrasound?
What is the follicle size? Cervix tone?

Depending on how your mares are tracking, will depend on the success. If they ovulate too early, then you are in the hole...and may have to short cycle (or wait) and try again.

Saffron
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 176
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 02:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok sounds like we are on the right track then, he ulrasounds every 2 days! follicles are still small as of yesterday but he is confident they will be big enough tomorrow so we can inject her!or them depending on progress!

Saffron
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 179
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 02:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well so far our easter plan is that 1 mare wont be ready until after the holiday...luckily, but the other one we are planning for AI on Sunday..this means i must call the stud and order semen tomorrow then it will arrive sunday! I can ask for more portions but will it last til monday or tuesday based on the fact we normally AI every 2 days! We can ONLY get semen on Sunday and wednesday, wednesday will be too late but if the semen lasts long enough from sat til tues we could AI sun and Tues is that possible???
The vet thinks we will be lucky if the follicle is still there sunday but he didnt inject and you never know!

Saffron
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 180
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 02:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another question!!! we are really in the swing of breeding!!! Grannika was AI d 14 days ago (foal heat) and she is having a discharge at the mo a little bit yellow,(no fever) her previous owner was here today and said she is not pregnant, no way!!!(which i tend to agree with due to the discharge)But he said she could be in season again? So we said i will wait til day 18 and she can be cleaned out etc. However he said he had never a pregnancy from her thru AI and always live cover...as i know that is supposed to be a myth that a mare NEEDS live cover...why do you think she didnt take but with live cover she always took first time with 1 cover???
I am worried because i have payed for an expensive stallion who does only AI and the previous owner says i havent got a chance?????
Sorry guys for the never ending questions!!!

cathy Cook
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 178
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 03:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe she was dirty from foaling and you bred a dirty mare thus not in foal. I never use foal heats, and most stud farms down here will not let you book on a foal heat. So I would culture her right when she comes into heat and see the source of your discharge. If nothing comes back on the culture go ahead and AI her.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1242
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 08:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hard to say why she didn't conceive from the previous breeding without evaluations, but WRT the "my mare can't get pregnant by AI, only live cover" myth - those mares are almost always (I never say always!!! :-)) delayed uterine clearance mares that require management with an oxytocin protocol (follow that link) - it's cheap and easy to achieve, and has a good success rate. :-)

Heather Kutyba
Breeding Stock
Username: Heatherck11

Post Number: 526
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 10:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saffron,
Hey, don't borrow trouble YET!!

In regards to..
*he said he had never a pregnancy from her thru AI and always live cover...as i know that is supposed to be a myth that a mare NEEDS live cover...why do you think she didnt take but with live cover she always took first time with 1 cover*

I would be more apt to tell him he needs to reevaluate his breeding vet...that mare's uterus doesn't care if the semen comes direct from a stallion or a pipette :-). It's all the same once it's there!
Grannika may or may not be in foal, but until an ultrasound is done, shaking the 8 ball is of little diagnostic value :-).
Breeding is not for the faint of heart, and even if she's NOT in foal, that doesn't mean "she doesn't have a chance"...just means that she didn't get in foal on the first try (and on foal heat...which has lower odds anyway).

Waiting for those first ultrasounds is a bear isn't it??? Waiting is AGONY!

Saffron
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 181
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 02:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thankyou Jos,Cathy and Heather

I have had a few unsucessful attempts with AI with no real reason that i see, the semen was always looked at under a microscope and i always have different mares! I am only concerned that if Grannika doesnt tend to take with AI then i should save my money use the AI on another mare and send Grannika to the Stallion! However the way i feel at the moment is that perhaps for the next time i will send her to the stud and she can stay there and be AI`d there...they are the experts!!

Oh and dont forget Madonna...4 attempts of AI... nothing, went to the stallion...pregnant! BUT we later discovered she did take on the AI! Oh the stress!

cathy Cook
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 179
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 07:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey if I had the choice I would AI everything but because I breed thoroughbreds can't. AI is far cleaner and a much more direct breeding method than live.

Dianne Edwards
Breeding Stock
Username: Mamaedwards

Post Number: 267
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 10:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saffron who is doing the AI on your mares, dont want to insult anyone but maybe it has something to do with the way the AI is being done. Just a thought?

Saffron
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 190
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My vet does it...and i have thought about this too and another reason why i might send grannikas away to the stud farm for AI. Its just a pain because my vet practice is 5 minutes away and if i need help foaling they are there in a shot, if i take another vet its not so easy or near..plus my vet worked on the westfalian national stud..he must know what hes doing???
Anyway tomorrow he comes to see if granni is pregnant...i assume not due to the discharge shes been having...the vet said we can AI again and flush her with antibiotics and i can ask him to give her oxytocin etc, or...i take her away(dont want to because of the foal and the drive and the time etc but hey if we get a foal)

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US