SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Ovulation

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Methods » Ovulation « Previous Next »

Saffron
Breeding Stock
Username: Saffron

Post Number: 155
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 01:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am not so much on my computer at the mo...too busy but still congrats to all those new babes and good luck to those of you still waiting!!!
! I have a question i hope someone will answer before tomorrow...On Monday the vet said Hebrea had a good follicle and was very much in season so off we drove to the stallion, she was still in season so on wednesday so we drove again to the stallion, if she is still in season we must go again tomorrow but as my vet is coming anyway tomorrow for grannika and madonna i thought he could have a look at hebrea and see if the follicle is gone...if it is gone am i right in thinking we DONT need to drive to the stallion???(the stallion owner said if it is gone dont come, its over for this heat) But if we dont know how long it is gone for and she stands for the stallion isnt it worth going anyway or must the semen be there before she ovulates??? The reason I ask is because of the stress involved with Hebrea baby and trailer etc and my vet is coming out anyway!! Any ideas??

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 203
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 04:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination but this past year breeding my mare the vet check to see if she ovulated and if she did and we bred the day before it was good. My mare did just that and we are now at 216. I will keep my fingers crossed Saffron! Jan

cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 152
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 06:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The most fertile period for a mare is 4 hours before ovulation and up to 24 hours post ovulation. Why did you not use deslorelin to make her ovulate? I am breeding a mare in the morning and am giving it to my mare tonight.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1228
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 10:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cathy - are you sure you got that the right way around? :-)

The best time for breeding a mare with fresh or cooled semen (of reasonable quality) is 24 hours before ovulation up to 4-6 hours post-ovulation. while fresh semen of good quality will remain viable in the uterus for up to 48 hours on average, cooled semen may not have that same degree of viability (as it may already be >24 hours old at the time of insemination). Breeding after 4-6 hours post-ovulation (if the mare was not also bred pre-ovulation) will result in a slightly lower pregnancy rate and a higher incidence of early embryonic death. The lowering of the pregnancy rate and increase of EED becomes significantly more pronounced after 12 hours post-ovulation.

The lack of receptivity to the stallion's advances (i.e. onset of diestrus) happens because progesterone levels are rising in the mare, and that progesterone is secreted from the newly forming CL that appears in the area where the follicle was after ovulation. It is not until 24-48 hours after ovulation that progesterone levels will typically be high enough to cause resistance, so that is why a mare will still appear receptive to a stallion for up to a couple of days after ovulation.

If your mare was bred 2 days ago, and is now found to have no follicle present (i.e. she has ovulated) then the chances are good that you will have [had] viable sperm in the oviducts at the time of the ovulation, and another breeding is not required.

WRT to Deslorelin treatment - it takes about 40 hours on average for ovulation to occur following treatment of the mare with Deslorelin (if there is a >30 mm follicle present), so our practice is to give the Deslorelin before breeding the mare - it will tend to result in better timing for ovulation relative to having viable sperm present.

carole whelan
Neonate
Username: Milmom

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 01:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've just joined, so forgive me if this has been discussed a while ago. Is Desorelin a brand name for hCG?
I am going to be following the protocol on this sight when using frozen semen this year. Jos, thank you for all your good work and for our good education.

cathy Cook
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 223
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 10:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay Jos so I am a bit dyslexic!

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1289
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 06:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No - Deslorelin is the name of a completely different drug. It is a synthetic GnRH (gonadotropin releasing hormone) although it too stimulates ovulation in the mare.

"hCG" is "human chorionic gonadotropin".

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1290
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 06:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's OK to be dyslexic if your mares are too, but otherwise it's going to be a KO for pregnancy rates!!!

cathy Cook
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 229
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 11:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL I guess they are playing along this year since I have an unreal amount of first cover pregnancies, guess the realize diesel prices are through the roof!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US