SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Cold hose worked for us!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Methods » Cold hose worked for us! « Previous Next »

getmyspurs714
Posted From: 68.18.157.190
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 03:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when i was told my 18 yr old TB mare that had had 3 foals starting around the age of 10, couldnt get preg. from her previous owner for 3 yrs of trying live cover,AI and cultured, i took her to the stallion 3x's in a week for live cover and she took! the owner of the stallion (was an old farmer)had a hose near by to cold hose her under her tail right afterwards and i walked her (crop in hand) for 20 mins. each time. so ya never know........

Jos
Posted From: 66.19.17.186
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 12:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you look at the internal reproductive anatomy of the mare, you will quickly realise that unless the mare stands on her hind legs and jumps up and down immediately after the stallion has bred her, there is no possible way that she is going to lose any of the semen that has just been ejaculated into her uterus. Walking the mare after breeding is therefore not necessary.

The old misguided techniques such as cold hosing a mare immediately after breeding her are equally unnecessary. The good news is that a shot of cold water is considerably less harmful than another of the methods which involves rubbing the mare's perineal region with stinging nettles causing intense discomfort and the mare to clamp her tail upon it's being done - performed for the same purpose as the water.

Use of more advanced breeding techniques would have achieved the same pregnancy result, and I have to admit that I regret the ignorance that leads to the use of such archaic methods as you describe.

Some questions that perhaps should have been asked prior to your mare's being exposed to the unfortunate breeding experiences:

• What did the cytology smear that was performed in conjunction with the culture show? There was a cytology smear performed wasn't there? Click here for more information on that...
  • Did you contemplate the use of oxytocin post breeding (cost about $3) to deal with the likely delayed uterine clearance issues that are common in older mares and were probably the cause of your mare not getting pregnant? Click here for information on that one...
  • Did you ever happen to read the "breeding mythinformation" article that appears here? Take a look at it and read the section entitled "My mare can't be bred by AI and must be bred live cover to become pregnant"...
There is no excuse for ignorance - the information is available for those that choose to look for it.

I'm glad your mare is pregnant, but I feel bad for her having to go though what she did to get there - and I fervently hope that you will take the time to properly research the foaling procedure before you get to that stage so you don't end up subscribing to the all too common "leave them alone and they'll foal OK by themselves" attitude, or the alternative "I have to make sure I get in there to help pull the foal out of the mare" attitude that results in excessive interference and possible injury and can lead to the mare rejecting the foal.

Anonymous
Posted From: 64.217.50.230
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 11:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos~ you are a real smart~a s s~

getmyspurs....I'm glad you acheived you goal of pregnancy with you mare.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US