SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Regarding pasture breeding

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Methods » Regarding pasture breeding « Previous Next »

Anonymous
Posted From: 206.130.170.11
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 01:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been wondering about pasture breeding and the frequency of a stallion covering a mare. We would only want to inseminate a mare once or twice per cycle and yet a stallion(mine) would probably cover a mare many,many times if left with her. Is there any evidence that there is more incidence of infection etc. with pasture breeding?

Dani
Posted From: 205.188.208.70
Posted on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 02:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My first mare was pasture bred. I didn't have any problems and she took on the first cycle. The stallion will only breed as many times at the mare will let him.

kho-magic
Posted From: 67.106.44.226
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 12:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We turned my mare out in March with my first year stallion so he could figure things out. He bred her A LOT! He would cover her several times a day as she was the only mare available and she was willing. Aside from the inflamatory response that it causes (she didn't get in foal because of it) she showed to him so much (squatting and urinating) and leaned on the fence while doing this that she scalded her backside from the urine running down her! It was a sad site! She was only out with him for 4 days but had no hair in between her back legs it was all burned off, it swelled up and looked so sore! I put diaper rash cream on it as she picked up her feet in protest and tried desparately not to kick at me. I felt so bad. I would not leave her out with him again for longer than an hour. I can tell you from observation that my stallion can/would cover her 4 or 5 times in that hour. It was good for him as he got experience and isn't clumsy breeding now and knows what to do. But my mare isn't in foal as she got bred too much (inflamatory response) so I will have to breed again next year. I am going to have my vet follow her via ultrasound rather than just breed every other day, give her HCG etc. I also think we will use the Oxytocin protocol on this site to see if we can get her in foal. I've had problems with her in the past but she was so good to my young stallion stood like a pro while he fumbled around and figured it all out.

Bottom line from me, I wouldn't turn a mare out with a stallion again if she was the only mare in heat in the corral/pasture.

Michelle

Anonymous
Posted From: 68.118.197.147
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 08:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't pasture breed period. It's dangerous for both the mare and stallion. My stallion is a show horse as well-I won't even do live cover with him. Not even with my own mares. I think you're just asking for trouble when pasture breeding. It's just not worth the risk. I've seen stallions with broken bones and other injuries because of it, then the owners are crying that their stallion was hurt and they don't have the money for surgery...it's not right and they knew better.

Mane Tyme Morgans
Posted From: 66.186.161.45
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 07:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree. I don't pasture breed but I do hand breed and only hand breed. (AI is too expensive for us small breeders tho my stallion is reg for AI)

Pasture breeding IMHO can seriously hurt the mare and stallion. I would rather control the breeding and know when the mare was bred then guessing.

Sheila
Posted From: 66.140.214.237
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 10:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I taught my 3 year old stallion to pasture breed because he was impossible for me to handle since I had just had surgery. He was normally well-behaved and still is, but when we approached that first mare and he was getting out of control, I stopped the process there. I waited until she went out of heat and then about a day before she was to come in again I put them out together. He was a complete idiot, having been a show horse and never out with other horses since he was with his dam. He was a little scared of the mare, but then got really aggressive. She was a experienced mare and stood well when in heat, but would not put up with his aggressiveness. End result, he bred her finally after the first day and then I took her out and put her back in on the third day. I then took her out and kept her out until she was just going out of heat. She stood for him once that time and then let him know she was finished. I left her in with him for 2 weeks after that. The next time I tried to hand breed a mare, he approached with caution, took his time and did his job with no problems. He has been that way every since. He did get some swelling on his chest, but it was a small price to pay to have a stallion I can handle and is well-behaved. I prefer hand breeding as it is safer for the mare and the stallion, but my doctor had told me not to lift more that 5 lbs. for 6 months (what a joke) and I had mares to breed and a untried stallion I couldn't control.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US