SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Mare Owners rights?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Methods » Mare Owners rights? « Previous Next »

Anonymous
Posted From: 67.2.165.82
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 12:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a mare who has come back open for the 3rd time. This is a mare that has taken on the first cover that last two years by different stallions. The vet says everything looks wonderful, no fluid etc. This is the 2nd mare I have bred to this particular stallion, It also took the last mare several covers and two seasons to get in foal. The first mare was bred to a different stallion this year and took on the first cover. So it seems that maybe the problem lies with the stallion? I have asked the stallion owner if she had his semen checked, and she was very offended and said that was not fair to ask. She did finally say she had it checked and it looked fine. Well, now I want proof! Do I have a right to this information?? I am being charged $175 per cover...last heat cycle my mare was bred twice costing me $350!! AND they have the vet out every other day to say when to breed. So I cannot understand if the vet sees a good follicle and says breed, why are they breeding her twice and why is she not taking??? He is a 1982 stallion...and they are breeding him to 60+ mares from what they tell me. I also think she splits the semen up alot when she collects. Anyways, has anyone ever had a situation when they had to question the stallion???

marty
Posted From: 208.6.56.254
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 01:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have had limited breeding experience but when I contracted with the stallion owner it was for a LFG but there was a cost for every collection. The owner I dealt with was very glad to share vet results regarding motility etc, additionally my own vet was able to evaluate for motility as well prior to AI my mare. I'm not sure all stallion owners are so for coming and perhaps if they are not it is because they know their motility figures are not good. You may also want to ask the pregancy rate the stallion had the previous year. You are right multiple breeding cost lots of money. Don't know if this helps but it was my experience.

Liz
Posted From: 205.188.208.72
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 01:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You should have asked about fertility before you bred the mare.. ... However the stallion owner should give you the results even now.. but that does not mean you will get your money back..
some mares and some stallions are not compatible

the cover charge is actually for the handling of the stallion.. and has little do with his semen..

Now a reimbursemnet of the stud fee is a consideration..

There are many reasons why a mare will not take and semen is just one of them... just because the mare took with another stallion does not mean the orginal stallion has a problem.. the problem may have been in the timing.. or other issues.

I would just chalk this up as a lesson learned.. next time talk about semen quality and testing before any breeding starts and any money changes hands

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US