SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

What would you do?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Methods » What would you do? « Previous Next »

Anonymous
Posted From: 65.130.114.13
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 10:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I decided to breed my mare AI [fresh cooled] this year, and when my regular vet came out to do the culture, he suggested we use him to do the AI. I hesitated, as I had asked them the spring prior, and was told they were 'too busy', and so I waited until this year to take some time, and research an equine reproduction clinic in my area. Anyway, my regular vet assured me that they 'would' be able to handle the AI no problem. So, I said ok. I found the right stallion, signed the breeding contract, and began monitoring her for her heat cycle--this all began back in March. I wanted to try for an April foal, and so planned to breed her in May. The vet had been out to perform palpations, and things seemed fine. Here's where things went wrong: She was palpated on a Thursday with a 2 on her left ovary, and he demanded me to order semen for a Monday delivery--"If I wanted to breed her this cycle". I contacted the collector, and she wasn't on board with his decision. She wanted me to wait until she was at least a 35. He got really upset with me going to 'her' to question him, and said--order it, or forget about breeding her. I ordered it! On Monday, "AFTER" he inseminated her--he checked and she was only a 3. He wanted to come back to dose again on Tuesday. But, I cancelled, and ordered another shipment for AI on Wednesday, thinking maybe she'd be closer to ovulation. He got really upset! He did come out--used BOTH doses, and refused to come out the next day to see if she ovulated! He said to wait 16-days and ultrasound, and 'anyone from the office can do it--I don't need to'. Well, okie-dokie--I called another vet out, and she ultrasounded--not in foal. I've been having them come do paplations, and on June 19th the last one out said she was a 2 on her left. Well, last week when I tried to get him out to see if we were ready to order semen--he declined to come out. He told his secretary to tell me 'palpation is not a sure way to tell where a mare is in her cycle--unless they have a stallion there teasing her--I'm not coming out!' With the holiday, no one could help me, and so I missed her heat cycle. I've just recently gotten their invoice in, and am now wondering--do I pay it, or fight them over their 'misrepresentation'. Anyone have this problem before?

Anonymous
Posted From: 167.239.194.254
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 04:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dear Anon
To be honest these are the chances we take as mare owners. You may want to negotiate the tab due too his missed calculations, and for practicing on your mare. Most vets I have found keep to a certain area or expertise. Depending on where you live I have the name of a great vet and clinic who specializes in breeding with AI as main item of interest. It took me over a year to get my mare bred and I had to change vets 1/3 of the way through, he was too rough and did not do her any good at all.
Anon in Ohio

Anonymous
Posted From: 142.177.114.58
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 06:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He is, in part, correct in that a single palpation is not a reliable method of identifying what stage of the mare's cycle she is at, unless there happen to be several reliable indicators present. Telling you after the fact is not exactly an honest move though...!

From what you say, it does sound as though the vet acted in an unprofessional manner. A 2 cm follicle is WAY too early to order semen... and refusing to come out to check for an ovulation is most decidedly unprofessional.

What you choose to do will depend upon just how much you want to push this issue, and how important future service from this vet practice is to you.

My own personal feelings are that I would sit down right now and document everything (dates, comments, actions or lack thereof, etc.) while it is all fresh in my memory, think about it for a few days, and then probably refuse to pay the bill and file a complaint with the Veterinary Board for your State. I would also file a claim against the veterinary practice for the expenses associated with the collection costs and shipping of semen etc.

While AI is easy to do, one does have to know what one is doing. Vets are the first to point fingers at non-veterinarians who are doing things (quite often more effectively than the vets themselves - which is often part of the problem!), but it is time that some of the bad apples in the Veterinary barrel were removed, and the vets started spending more time policing themselves! There are many very competent veterinarian out there, but the few incompetent and unprofessional ones get the profession a bad name as a whole - which is why State Vet. Boards have a review board.

At the very least... find another vet!

Anonymous
Posted From: 65.133.101.219
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 07:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank's to all who responded! I have kept a detailed 'log' of each visit, as I want to see how things can be improved for the next year. I do feel something should be said 'prior' to paying their charges--just to let them know how I feel about the way in which they handled this, and that due to their behavior, it may not happen for us this year. I had one comment made [from that first guy] that it was the mare's fault--even though, I gave them 'every change' to perform any test(s) necessary to make sure she was able to have a foal! I mean, I think it should be their responsibility to make sure of this 'before' we go on with things. But, they assured me, they didn't need 'anything other than a uterine culture' even though I told them she was 13 and a maiden mare--from Day #1!

I knew it wouldn't be the easiest thing I'd ever been through--let me tell you--it's never easy here! But, I sure didn't expect them to drop my mare without having tried--I mean they only inseminated her once! {Oh, by the way--I'll be moving on to someone else in the future--for shots, whatever is necessary! It won't be them!}

Thanks again!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US