SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Collecting and shipping - getting started on the most basic level

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Methods » Collecting and shipping - getting started on the most basic level « Previous Next »

Anonymous
Posted From: 65.89.1.186
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 03:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a stallion that I'd like to experiement with shipped cooled semen to a friend of mine a few states away.

Let me just start by staying, several months back I had INTENDED to purchase a fairly expensive stallion who had already been trained to AI, had already been frozen, knew which extenders to use etc and was a good prospect as a 3 year old for his riding discipline. However he did not pass the vet exam.

The stallion I have purchase is a much less expensive stallion, is green, etc. He has bred about 4 mares (4 cycles). He bred 2 mares from the previous owner and my two mares.

So my question is... how can I get started in the shipped semen 'business' with out first investing A LOT of money (until my stallion makes a name for himself!) I have a few friends who'd like to breed to him a few states away, and I was only going to charge them 'cost' of materials, shipping etc.

I am taking him to get inspected for his breed in November and part of his temp stallion licensing is that he produces 10 offspring, and my friends who want to breed to him are going to help with that. ;-) But until I get inspection scores I am just not willing to invest a WHOLE LOT in the way of collection gadgets or hefty vet/lab fees.

SOOOOO ----- manual ground cover seems like step one. Does the collection bag need to be steril? (subway bags?!?!)

once it is collected I filter the semen.... then what? How do you cool it and get it ready for transport.

I was going to use the disposable shipping containers for now... (bio flight?!?)

Jos
Posted From: 158.252.241.186
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 09:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you do not have experience collecting and shipping semen, I would suggest that you do not attempt ground collection, and indeed, you would probably be much better off finding a facility locally that will collect your stallion and process the semen for shipping rather than doing it yourself if you have not done it before (which I suspect from your message is the case).

Ground collection requires a thorough understanding of stallion handling or it can be dangerous - as can phantom training.

You will require basic equipment for processing the semen - there is no avoiding that unless you want to risk sending useless semen. Review the article on the site here and here for full details on the required equipment.

We have evaluated a variety of both non-disposable and disposable shipping containers for semen, and if you are not going to use an Equitainer as a shipping container (which is preferable, but more expensive for initial the purchase), then we recommend that you use either the Clipper container from HRI, or the Equine Express II from Exodus Breeders (follow those hot links for more details on the products).

Above all, I encourage you to seek a farm that will do the collections and shipping for you to start of with. See what it is all about, see what equipment you need and how to use it. And then, after all that, decide whether you want to pursue shipping of semen yourself, or continue to have someone else do it - but by doing it that way you haven't spent a lot of money getting set up for something you end up deciding you don't want to do!

Anonymous
Posted From: 65.89.1.186
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 11:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I live out in the 'sticks' right now. So yes, I'd like to do it myself - eventually. The research I have done is the nearst collection facility is over an hour away. And in the end, I have a busy lesson & training facility, a husband, 2 kids... blah blah blah. I won't have time to just drop what I am doing to haul him up to the collection station and be gone for 3 hours of my day.

My father breeds paints/QH in FL and I grew up in a breeding atmosphere (of upper class halter and western pleasure performance horses). He live covered & did AI on site and shipped. Unfortunately I left home before I really took an interest in doing any of the nitty gritty work myself - other than just prepping and holding mares or holding the stallion at his head. So I have been around the breeding environment - but in my late teens, early 20's, I had no real interest in that so I never really 'got into it' - and now it has been some 12 years since I've been around the 'breeding farm'.

Tracy Steele
Posted From: 205.188.208.70
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 01:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just thought I'd offer some suggestions from a person who has been in your shoes. I understand where you're coming from, and know how paying an honest to goodness "stallion station" can be very cost prohibitive if your stallion is an unknown. If you're picking up that tab, you can go broke in a hurry, if you get the mare owners to pick up the tab, you will get very few breedings! I live way out in the sticks as well, and it was almost 5 hours to drive to get him to the closest stallion station, which actually was reasonably priced. But working full time, I couldnt just drop everything and run on a 5 hour drive everytime I got a phone call. What I ended up doing was talking around to several vets in the area. I finally found one that was willing to collect my stallion. They bought the dummy and the AV, I bought everything else (filters, AV liners, filters, collection bottles, semen extenders, disposable containers, etc) They only charge me $100 every time I use the Dummy, and they help me collect, they do all the filtering and prepping the semen for shipping. I have learned TONS from them, and very soon, I will be confident enough to take this task on by myself. There is alot to collecting a stallion. They can be very picky about the temperature of the AV, how tight it is, how much lubricant is used, etc. Having someone (like a vet, or a stallion station owner) that has done collecting before is invaluable, especially if your stallion has not allready been trained to collect. After doing this with my vet, my Stallion is trained to the phantom dummy, we dont even need a mare in heat around anymore. I know what temperatures he prefers, how much pressure and lube, what semen extenders he ships well with, etc. It will be much easier for me to do this on my own down the road because I have that knowledge, and my stallion knows his job. In short, someone who knows what they are doing to help you and your stallion to learn the ropes, is invaluable, and well worth the time and money involved. Good Luck

b
Posted From: 66.156.138.62
Posted on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 10:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I need the same help. I just bought a 8 year old Welsh Mountain Pony Stallion who has pasture bred, and hand bred and AI. I am NOT willing to do hand breeding or pasture breeding as I have with my mare and she seriously enjured that stallion but thank goodnes I wasn't charged for it, so I don't want to take that chance of my stallion. My mare kicked at him and made him fall back. I own a 400 acre farm but I don't have the time to take care of a mare. BESIDES I only have 5 stables in a row, I have 4 Welsh Mountain Pony Mares and then my stallion named "Steel". I DON'T want to pay alot of money for all this stuff. I really want people to have a chance with my stallion (only limited to 20 mares) and realize that everything that I have about him is true like he can be handled by a 11 year old girl (my daughter) and well I don't want anyone trying to steal my stallion and I don't want to show a video of my kid uncase somebody would end up trying to steal her. But then I have to accept booking contracts, money and everything else like that. SO WHAT SHOULD I DO ABOUT THIS?? I have owned a stallion before and he was limited to 25 mares and I hand bred. That stallion got real wild then and I didn't want to take the risk. SHOULD I HAND BREED, when I only have 1 RUN-IN shed and 1 10 acre field?? I would get paid some money a day for it but then it cost me for grain but not the hay. I don't have lots of trouble with AI now simply because of a good friend of mine who is a vet and she does collect for me for free, so I am LUCKY for that. But I just need some suggestions on if i should hand breed. What are really the risks I am taking?? I sold my old stallion simply because he was hard to handle, he even tried to bite. He bit the mare's withers, is that good or bad? But what about my new stallion "Steel"? When my mare is in heat he does NOT GO WILD or anything, maybe a whinny or two but that is it. SHOULD I DO HAND BREEDING and AI or just one? I have a few friends near me who want to breed to Steel by hand, and over 30 people of who want to breed to him out of my stallions reach, and that would just lower my breedings for my stallion. If you want you can email me at

dakotaandbutch@bellsouth.net

Thanks

PS. I also own a 2 year old Welsh Mountain Colt. He has already showed intrest in ONE of my mares who is NOT in heat. Is he old enough to breed now??

b
Posted From: 66.20.100.159
Posted on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 10:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't need help anymore. "Steel" is sold to somebody else now. I have found a more interesting stallion for me. I do specialize in breeding Welsh Mountain Ponies and that is just the breed he is. He is a palomino who is 2 years old. He has showed alot of interest in my mares since he has been over here. Dakota my mare who IS IN HEAT he has showed interest. I am going to do only AI NOT hand breeding or pasture breeding. But should I go ahead and collect my stallion for breedings this year when he turned 2 years old on April 1st this year? Where he has awesome bloodlines (coed Coch) then I have 40 mares who are wanting to breed to him with a total breeding fee of $500.00. He is going to start out very well. I have tried him on my mare Dakota as he was showing interest in her and she is pregnant by "Trigger". I am just wondering if I should go ahead and collect him for breedings this year. My vet is going to collect this year again for free. I didn't even have to have a mare in heat anywhere in site for him to mount the dummy mare when I had him breed my mare Dakota (after). He just naturally did that and we collected that semen and have it at my vets. We are going to send that in for a check to be able to send semen out, but I just need to know if I should collect him this year or wait another year??

b
Posted From: 66.20.101.13
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 10:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have just recently bought a $6,000 dollar Welsh Mountain Pony stallion. BIG MONEY!!! He has collected many times at 3 years old and still is 3 years old. His semen was still very high even after 72 hours, I consider this very good. He got a TB mare pregnant with only 1 collection from "Dazzle". Will he evidently get every mare pregnant from only 1 collection?

Jos
Posted From: 137.186.22.71
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 10:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No. Definitely not. There are far too many variables to consider.

From the posts that you have made above, I can see that you would benefit greatly by attending a course for managing stallions and mares and collecting and processing semen. In fact, I would strongly encourage you to seek out such a course and attend it before you land yourself, someone else or a horse in trouble, or get into a litigation situation.

Good luck.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US