SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Curious - can semen be shipped w/o extender and be viable the next day?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Methods » Curious - can semen be shipped w/o extender and be viable the next day? « Previous Next »

foolforahorse
Neonate
Username: Foolforahorse

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 12:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This may be a ridiculous question but can fresh semen be shipped w/o extender and still be viable the next day?
Thanks. :-)

(Message edited by foolforahorse on January 02, 2007)

Teena Bain
Nursing Foal
Username: Bluejay

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 05:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, The extender feeds it. Otherwise it dies.. Hopefully JOS will come up and give the whole reason. I am just a simple person..

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1121
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 12:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would not be desirable to ship semen without extender. There are always stallion variability exceptions, but as a general rule you will receive dead sperm. The extender serves a variety of functions that will preserve the viability (fertility) of the sperm over an extended period, and protect your mare:
  • Extenders buffer the toxic effects of seminal plasma. Without extender added, over a period of time sperm will die;
  • Extenders add nutrients to the fluids. Without those nutrients, over a period of time the sperm will die;
  • Extenders typically contain antibiotics. Without those antibiotics pathogenic growth is likely to occur, and that increased pathogenic presence is then inseminated into your mare's uterus (along with the probably dead sperm).
Why are you interested in not using extender? If you are thinking that your mare may be "having a reaction to the extender", please take a look at the article on this site about "Breeding Mythinformation". It might help.

foolforahorse
Neonate
Username: Foolforahorse

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 07:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks so much Jos!
I wasn't really thinking about not using extender. But I bought an in foal mare and was told that she has inflammation due to the extender but that semen can be shipped w/o extender. I didn't believe that but...I wanted to double check with an expert. :-)
She is an older mare 19 years old and has had about 10 foals via ET. She only carried one herself. She is in foal for her 2nd foal to carry herself. She was bred w/no extender as she was brought to the stallion's place of business.
Thank you again for the info. We will be vigilant with the oxytocin when we breed her.

Laura Raynak
Neonate
Username: Lauralou

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 08:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do I need to use extender if I AI my own mares right after I collect my stallion?

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1159
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 03:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is preferable to use extender with an antibiotic, as the more one handles semen, the greater the potential access of pathogens and negative impact of the toxicity of seminal plasma. Having said that, many mares are successfully bred each year without adding extender for on-farm use.

Kristine
Neonate
Username: Redrover

Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 07:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there a specific extender that you recommend? And what about antibiotics?

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1172
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 08:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The extender that we recommend is the extender that works best for your stallion!

There is no "best" extender. Stallions sperm will respond differently to different extenders and different antibiotics. It is essential that a cooled semen evaluation be performed at the beginning of each breeding season to determine which extender works best for a stallions - and remember that simply because one worked well last year it does not mean that it will work well this year. It probably will, but the time to find it doesn't is during the pre-season evaluation, not when you've got an upset stallion owner on the phone who just received a shipment of dead semen!

christa hestnes
Neonate
Username: Straitpaints

Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How long in general will semen last if not extended? Can you collect then breed say an hour later with no extender? How would you store the semen before the breeding?

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1241
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 11:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's tremendously stallion-variable. With some stallions the semen may still be viable several hours later, with others it might be dead within 20 minutes.

On top of that, you are not only preserving the sperm by adding extender, but you are controlling the bacterial content. If you don't have any antibiotics added, then the bacteria are multiplying all the time prior to insemination - and you're going to put the increased number into the mare!

Hope Parr
Weanling
Username: Hope26us

Post Number: 41
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 04:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

with my stallion I add extender for on farm breeding. I use a 1:1 ratio of semen - extender, not spun down. I found that Inra-96 worked best on him, but you have to experiment, I took my guy to our vet and they collected him several times, use different extenders and different cooling methods to see how it lasted over 2 and 3 days. Taking him to the vet keeps you from going out and buying all kinds of extenders to use to test with.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3102
Posted on Sunday, January 23, 2011 - 03:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or you can use a service such as ours where we ship you a variety of extenders and instructions and you ship everything back to us and we evaluate it over a period of days and then send you the results (follow that link for more details).

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US