SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Ovulation and timing of insemination

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Methods » Ovulation and timing of insemination « Previous Next »

Mike C.
Posted From: 172.148.40.102
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 09:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am a first time breeder, but feel I have a very knowledgeable vet working with me. I would like to get opinions about the timing of my breeding and my chances of conception.

Tuesday night, my mare had a 39mm follicle. I had the stallion collected on Wednesday this week, fedexed for Thurs am delivery (we are on different coasts). At time of insemination (around noon on Thursday) my mare had about a 40mm follicle. She was inseminated and given a shot of HCG. She was re-bred with the remaining bag 50cc Friday. My vet said the quality of the semen looked excellent, with good motility even on Friday under the scope. Today is Saturday, vet said she still had not ovulated as of 7pm tonite but said follicle was VERY ready, and soft. She thought it would burst by Sunday am.

Is this too late an ovulation for the semen to have any chance of being alive enough? What if she doesn't ovulate until Sunday evening? Also, she had flushed this mare out before breeding because she had some infection. She said there weas still some fluid left in the uterus and that she will prob. give some more Oxytocin shots to help dispel that tomorrow - Sunday.

Any thoughts on this? In general, should I have waited a little longer before ordering semen? Is there a "magic" number of follicle size before you should have a stallion collected? My vet assured me that this was optimum timing, I would like more opinions on this, as I would like to do it right if I have to go through it again.

Elizabeth Hardy
Posted From: 12.38.198.125
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2003 - 02:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike I order semen when my vet tells me it is time to do so

The only way you are going to Know if the Semen is viable is to have the vet check it prior to insemination esp if it is a couple of days old. It sounds as if your vet knows what he is doing. If she is not pregnant this time then for the next time just go with your vets recommendations as to when to request Semen and also check with the stallion owner to see when he collects his stallion.

Good Luck

Mike C.
Posted From: 172.161.50.78
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2003 - 03:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Elizabeth for responding.

I did order when vet advised, I am just mainly concerned because she ovulated so late in the game. I now know she ovu'd some time overnight on Saturday/sunday am. Insem'd Thurs & Friday mid-day.. hmm.. not sure if she'll catch. We did look at semen under scope on friday, looked very good/prog. mobile. Keeping my fingers crossed. That HCG just took a really long time to induce ovulation on her, I think.

Sammie
Posted From: 12.145.186.66
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 12:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A good rule of thumb is that the follical progresses about .5 a day.. SUpposedly. I usually don't even ship seman until they are a .40. Semen can live 72 hours in a mare usually best viable at 48% so if she burst on sunday.. You could still get her in foal.. Good Luck.. A/I is very difficult and stressful....

Mike C.
Posted From: 152.163.189.231
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 10:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Good News! Our mare was confimed in foal at 18 days! That was some quality sperm!! Hopefully, the U/S at 30 days will be the same...

Thanks for comments!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US