SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Can/should a novice teach a young stallion to ground collect or should he be ...

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Methods » Can/should a novice teach a young stallion to ground collect or should he be sent for training??? « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
nonenonenoneWhere and When to teach ground collectionAngela Walker01-14-09  10:34 am
  Start New Thread        

Nadine (152.163.189.231)
Posted on Friday, January 03, 2003 - 06:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've got a 3 year old that I would like to teach to ground collect, for convenience and safety. I have thought of trying to teach him myself, but don't want to screw him up. Should a novice (I've hand-bred before and helped in collecting off a jump mare) attempt this or is it better left to professionals? I'm near Buffalo, NY, does Cornell teach this (and do a good job?). I've heard the Miner Institute is good, but they are quite a distance from me and I don't know if they do ground collection....Any ideas?

Emily Williams
Neonate
Username: Emlybob

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 03:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am shocked to read that you think that ground collection is safer than jumping a dummy mare. In my experience the horses that i have seen ground collect are much more capable of kicking the person collecting. Also alot of ground collections can cause damage to the horses muscles in his back, it is also not natural to horses so can be harder to teach them this way. I would advise you against it unless the horse has weak or injured hocks

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2297
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 08:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Totally incorrect on most levels.

In my experience the horses that i have seen ground collect are much more capable of kicking the person collecting.

Badly behaved stallions that have not been handled well will kick in either - or any - situation. Having trained hundreds of stallions to both the mount and ground collect, I can unequivocally say that there is no greater risk of being kicked in a ground collection situation than on the mount - and the risk of a loose front foot on the mount is far greater with either intentional or accidental aim than a loose back foot on the ground!

Also alot of ground collections can cause damage to the horses muscles in his back

Again, incorrect. Dr. Sue McDonnell at the University of Pennsylvania (New Bolton) will support my experience in this, and her observation (as has been mine) is that in fact it exerts less stress on the back than getting on the mount. Think about it... there is no pressure of raising the entire front end off the ground, such as is necessary in a horse getting on the mount. In fact, Dr. McDonnell's observations are that a stallion that has soreness issues is more likely to give a complete ejaculation in a ground collection situation than on a breeding mount specifically because less strain is placed on the back.

so can be harder to teach them this way

With this I agree. It's why we charge more for ground collection training than training to the mount! :-)

I would advise you against it unless the horse has weak or injured hocks

If it causes more strain on the horse, why would you recommended it for a horse with lameness issues? I'm not quite sure I follow your logic there! This observation does bear out what I said earlier though - that it does cause less strain on the stallion.

Don't get me wrong - ground collection is not for all stallions, just as collection on a breeding mount is not for all stallions either. But I can't let your observations go unchallenged, as they do not - and have not - bear (borne) up under research and in clinical situations.

Jamie Anderson
Nursing Foal
Username: Jamieander

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 09:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

100% with you on those observations, Jos. I've not trained anywhere near as many as you, but I've had far fewer knocks and problems with ground collections, than with mount collections.

Em
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 02:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am talking of my experiences and how we tend to see it in this country. It is not very common to ground collect here as it is seen as much more dangerous. It is good to read of other experiences as really whatever suits the individual handler and stallion is the best way forward.

I have not said that ground colection is ok for lame horses. I have said it would be better for horses with weak or injured hocks. If a stallion is injured to a severe extent i do not believe either method would be of benefit.

I am sorry if you dsagree with my views but this is the benefit of discussing other opinions. I take them on board and see what you are saying but over here this is what we are thinking.

Talking of ground collections damaging horses backs this is a common thought over here and as it is not a natural position for a horse to be in when they ejaculate they can often find it harder to understand the process.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2307
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 08:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not sure where "over here" is, but I am English, lived for years in Canada, and now reside in the USA, and Jamie is from England as well, so I suspect in light of the breed you indicate you are breeding (Cleveland Bay) between us, we've got the "over here" pretty much covered! :-)

If you watch a stallion that is being (properly) ground collected, in fact his position is more or less the same as when collected on a mare or a mount. His head drops, and he rounds out his back. He does not however have to put any strain on the back to thrust, as his center of support is four-fold, unlike when he is on the mount, when in order to thrust he must use his back and hind legs only.

It may be that we have to agree to disagree, but I am heartened that you do take thoughts "on board", and while I eagerly do the same, as I have dealt with literally hundreds of stallions collected on both the ground and the breeding mount, I have to stick to my guns on this one! :-)

It is unfortunate that the misconception is seemingly rampant "over there", but perhaps you can take this bit of experience and teach people to appreciate that it is a misconception, and not fact! My suspicions are that the misconception is present as a result of either lack of experience with good ground collection techniques and training, or just the fact that there is a strong prevalence of "old school" thought - with the concept of "we've been doing it this way for years, and it works, so if it ain't broke, why fix it?" :-)

Em
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 03:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos I think your probably right in the fact that people are very stuck in there ways and absolutely if it ain't broke don't fix it. I have no where near dealt with as many stallions as you but when talking to many people about ground colletions they always say don't do it and it's dangerous etc. But reading your comments has changed my views. I have attempted ground collections off a few stallions some which have been sucessful and some which haven't butlike you say and I believe it is in the training of stallions that makes them either dangerous or not. Views are changing but the last time i spoke to someone who deals with hundreds of stallions a year I was told that everyone is against it!! Who knows!!!!!!!!!!!

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2310
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 12:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:-)

L Detweiler
Nursing Foal
Username: Msfarab

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, June 16, 2009 - 11:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Having a rare spare moment and coming into this discussion in mid June, I thought I would add a few comments about using ground collection.

We have trained several stallions to ground collect, for several different reasons, depending on the individual stallion.

One stallion had a non-dislocated fractured front leg from a well placed kick from a "willing" maidan mare who changed her mind upon penetration. After healing for 6 weeks we decided to try ground collection and it works perfectly with him with a 52" solid wall in front of him and HOT mare on the opposite side. He only comes off the ground a little, leaning neck on the wall, taking pressure off the front legs, and is very willing.

Stallion # 2 was taught both ways, accepting each as circumstances change, again easily trained, & would never think about kicking.

Stallion # 3 was initially taught on a mount, but sent to a dressage stable for training/showing with a trainer who only has training horses, no mount, no mares to "borrow" and THIS was the fun part.... he learned to ground collect off of a soaked paper towel from "in estrus" mare urine, frozen into ICE CUBES, then taken with us to use for collection. He had a stall with bars along the front, and we could stand a gelding at the door, wearing Any MARE'S BLANKET from the stable, with her scent on it, and wipe the blanket end, tail and his nose with the paper towel, and he would collect at the door without a fuss. The trainer was amazed and also glad his trainee could stay in training, as we live 2 hours from his stable, and could ship semen from there.

We helped a friend, with no mount, to collect stallions (4) for the first time, so Jos could freeze semen for her last year, and only 1 had slight kicking issues when placing the AV on, but he also had no manners for the wash down either, but he (& OWNER) also learned to be better managed through the process.

The only DOWN side for ground collection, in my opinion, is the stallion who actually almost SITS DOWN like a trick DONKEY, during the process, taking me and the AV at the same time, BUT we got collections, and that is what counts. We do many "dry run's" with the stallion handler (without the stallion) so they are IN TUNE with what the collector NEEDS from the stallion handler... and we do not tangle ourselves up as we get the collection. I want a confident person at the front of the stallion who CAN COMMUNICATE clearly and keep the stallion focused on the MARE, not me.

OOO-RAAAA! for ground collection in my book ! It comes in very handy with no "mount" available.

We always use precautions when collecting ANY stallion, wearing protective headgear at a MINIMUM!

Just one comment on the "kicking" part... we have found that a stallion who "DISLIKES" the AV has had "issues" with not enough LUBE, pressure(too much or too little) and temperature. Jos also helped us in changing AV type and THAT was the biggest thing we found. Each stallion is different, so ONE AV/pressure/temp may not work the same for each stallion! Keep notes on each stallion!!

Lesley in PA

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US