I am having a problem with my Quarter Horse Stallion. I found out last fall that he is infertile. His sperm count is normal but his motility is zero. A subsequent ultrasound of the testicles showed that he had a lot of inflammation in his testicles. He was treated with SMZ's for 10 days. A collection after that showed normal count and zero motility. A sperm culture was done at that time. According to my vet, it came back positive for Cornybacterium spp. We then started another round of antibiotics, this time 20cc of Gentamycin IV and 30 cc of Penicillin G IM for 10 days. We are almost finished with this round of antibiotics. How long should we wait to do another collection to see if the problem is still there? What protocol do you recommend that we use when doing this? I.E. do several collections to "clean out" before we do an analysis? What other things can you recommend that we do to try and resolve this infertility issue?
Background on the stallion: 5 yrs old. Had colic surgery as a two yr. old for dehydration colic. Has only been bred to one mare, who had infertility issues of her own. The previous owner attributed the lack of successful breeding to the mare's infertility issues, and never checked the stallion. He carries his testicles very close to his body. Very aggressive when in a breeding situation, all other times is very laid back and docile.
Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.
Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.Proud to be sponsored and supported by: