SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

WHY CENTRIFUGE SEMEN

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Methods » WHY CENTRIFUGE SEMEN « Previous Next »

DEANNA FORSTER (205.188.198.168)
Posted on Saturday, March 09, 2002 - 11:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WE HAVE NEVER CENTRIFUGED SEMEN AND HAVE BEEN SHIPPING ON STALLIONS FOR YEARS. I FEEL A LITTLE STUPID ASKING WHAT I AM MISSING HERE. IS THIS SOMETHING WE SHOULD BE CONSIDERING AND WHY?

Jos (142.177.104.165)
Posted on Saturday, March 09, 2002 - 11:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unless you are experiencing problems with your stallion's semen, or are looking at freezing his semen, there is no reason why you should be contemplating centrifugation.

Take a look at the article on this site about centrifuging semen by clicking here

DEANNA FORSTER (64.12.96.135)
Posted on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 01:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THANKS JOS I APPRECIATE THE REPLY AND WILL READ THE ARTICLE YOU SUGGESTED

Chris Taylor
Yearling
Username: Galaxy

Post Number: 57
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 06:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I cengtrifuged my first lot of semen yesterday in the 50ml tubes, was surprised at how obvious the "pellet" is once the job is done.

Chris Taylor
Yearling

Post Number: 61
Posted on Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 07:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happy New Year Jos and all the regular correspondents in here :-)

Quick Q about obtaining the correct r measurement. My centrifuge has a fixed rotor that takes 4 x 50ml tubes that sit in the rotor at approx 45 degrees much like the angle the tube you have shown in your pellet image.

Do I measure to the centre of the holder where the tube drops into or do I continue outwards to a point approx 1/2 way along the tube if I was to visualise a vertical line rising from the holder? Does that make sense? I hope so

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3086
Posted on Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 08:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happy New Year to you too - albeit over a day late!

You measure to the center of the sample. As you are using a fixed angle rotor, that might lead to a slight variance, but it will be small. You will need to visualise a vertical line from the center of the sample and measure from the vertical extension of that line to the center of the rotor.

There - if you weren't making sense, I certainly am not! Hopefully you can understand me though! :-)

Chris Taylor
Yearling

Post Number: 62
Posted on Sunday, January 02, 2011 - 02:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got you perfectly...we are speaking the same language, many thanks. I have found that removing the majority of the plasma has increased the longevity of the sperm in some trials I've done over the last few days using INRA96.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3087
Posted on Sunday, January 02, 2011 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Removing seminal plasma will almost always increase longevity. With some stallions that already have good longevity, that increase is negligible and not worth the additional effort, but with stallions that have short longevity when shipping, it can be of great value.

There is a possible downside:

Seminal plasma reduces uterine inflammatory response in the mare, and also protects sperm from phagocytocis by PMN's in the case of a second insemination. Dilution of seminal plasma (with extender) also reduces the positive effects. There may therefore be a handful of mares who when inseminated with centrifuged semen present with an increased post-breeding inflammatory response (this is one reason why we sometimes see that with frozen semen). As long as you are aware of the possibility and monitor for it (and deal with it if necessary) it's not going to be an issue in most cases, but it is something else to be aware of. One possible way to circumvent the loss of the SP and the negative effects associated with it is to add some - usually 10 ml is enough - back into the uterus at the time of insemination.

John Tyree
Neonate
Username: Jettex

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2011 - 08:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos I don't know if it was on this site or another the had a aticle about sexing semen. They used centrifuge to spin the X and the XY genes. I want fillys so it said to use the bottom half, because the X genes where heavier. Have you heard of this or tried it? Thanks great site.....

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3162
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2011 - 10:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From what I understand, centrifuging semen has a 50% chance of producing a filly.

Or a colt.

Think about it... pretty much all frozen semen is centrifuged, but it still produces about 50% colts and 50% fillies.

X-bearing sperm contain about 4% more DNA than Y-bearing, and I don't think that will be enough of a difference.

I think you'll find it's in the same sphere as breeding far out from ovulation produces fillies... if you look at enough in the sample population, it will be 50%...!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US