SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Myth or Truth??

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Methods » Myth or Truth?? « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Heather P (206.77.154.113)
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2002 - 04:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would like to know if after you cover a mare live, do you have to walk her around till she drops her tail? The word is will she pee out the sperm? I feel this could be an old wives tail? It it truth or myth? Thanks for all the help.

TSQH (198.107.233.26)
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2002 - 11:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is an "old wives' tale. Do mares in the wild or those that are pasture bred have anyone to walk them around after they are covered? NO. I have never walked my mares after they are covered and have yet to have one not concieve. Same with the breeding farms that I have worked at. When the other helpers there would say that they needed to walk the mares, I told them to stop.

Kelly (63.172.47.201)
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 12:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heather- I always walk a mare post breeding, 20 minutes to a half hour. It is not an old wives tale for a very simple reason.

The longer that the semen is viable and in the mare, the better. Of course, it only takes one swimmer to do the job!

Some mares will strain and expel the semen as soon as the stallion is off. Depending on how well the stallion penetrated, walking a mare can make a diffence. Considering that penetration was deep and the semen well placed, all should go well. However, there are those mares that for different reasons, do not stand and breed well. It helps to have as much semen as possible in a position and invironment to inseminate, and that position is inside the mare not on the ground!

TSQH (198.107.233.26)
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 04:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I find it funny that if this is NOT an "old wives" tale that I have a 100% conception rate on my mares, on the first cycle,with several different studs. These mares have NEVER been walked after being covered. This is over a several year period also not just 1 mare one time.

Sally (207.177.53.84)
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 04:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The old timmers had a saying; If the stallion had a long genitalia he would sire many offspring. While breeding a mare the stallion should set up against the wall of the cervex. Since when a mare is in heat her cervix is open the semen is deposited into the cervex. The semen that is in the vaginal canal has a slim chance of getting to where it needs to go, hence the old saying. If walking the mare makes you feel better go ahead but there is no sientific data that supports this.

Heather (216.54.138.98)
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 10:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thank all you you whom replyed to my message. I was wondering this because we bred 8 mares last year to my stallion, and all but one took (she was 24yr old & lame). We only walked 3 of them including the 24yr old, and not the rest. It just seemed to be funny that it happened that way. I can't remember seeing anything about breeders walking a mare after AI! I think this breeding season we will not walk our mares and see what happens. It just seems to make no difference how long you walk they still attempt to expel the semen.

Kelly (63.172.47.207)
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 09:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heather- A.I. is an exacting breeding. The semen is placed with the optimum chance for conception. I only walk after live cover. The fact that most mares will concieve regardless of walking is a moot point. I am concerned with one that may benefit from the extra effort.

Kelly (63.172.47.188)
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 01:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just wanted to add a few more points for consideration. It occurs to me that much about Equines and their reproductive aspect has been gained through scientific progress.

However, being 40ish in age :) , I have had the benefit from an early age by learning from some well respected "old timers". As time goes on, science has caught up with the observations of these horsemen. More often than not, these " wives tales" have been proven to have some validity.

The reasons that these observations hold true is usually not for the scientific explanations that are later discovered. What science can not pin point is usually a mental or psychological advantage that mother nature provides.

In this situation, the actual walking of the mare post breeding by live cover, may not have any scientific advantage. I do know that my mares appreciate the time to recover and graze before returning to their paddock or stall. They cover more quietly and easily each time there after. I do believe that a relaxed mare is more receptive to the breeding process. She is more easily covered and penetrated. Penetration is deeper and the stallion remains in position longer. I consider this a plus in my breeding experience. I too have a 100% conception rate.

Hopefully, I have been able to illustrate how these old "wives tales" can be of use, although maybe not in the exacting way that one may perceive them. Before rejecting them outright, take the time to explore why they have been useful in the past and then consider how they may be applied in the present.

Sally (207.177.53.96)
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 01:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also breed mares but have never used walking them as an aid to getting them bred. The mares are walked back to their pen and sometimes allowed to graze but not kept from throwing off.
I do not have a 100% conception rate and I don't know of anyone that is breeding 20-40+ mares a year that does. You just can not have 100% conception if you are breeding that many mares year after year. Mares are not great at having a foal every year. There are some that do, but they are the exception not the rule. Infections, foaling problems, hormones and so many other things can fall into play with these mares even if the stallion is a great breeder. I do however believe in doing what you are the most comfortable with.

Kelly (63.172.47.190)
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 04:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are so right about all the variables when it comes to breeding season. I am lucky enough to have local mares and owners who prepare their mares and follow our vet's recommendations. This certainly makes for an easier time for all.

As you pointed out, it is much easier when there are 20 or fewer mares to breed. It allows more time for teasing and handling the mares. With our average of 4 different stallions breeding during the season, they all require individual attention. I do have more time available than most larger breeding farms. I firmly belive that the more time spent observing and handling the mares, the better.

As for this years conception rate....it's not over until it's over!

les joiner
Posted From: 152.163.189.231
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 01:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also believe these Old wives tales are perpetuated by old wives or just stubborn old horsemen, in any case you should use what works best for you. An example would be in some countrys leeches are still used, those that in fact believe these things, it probably helps, the rest of us that are informed have moved on beyond these superstitions, and the rattling of chicken bones. As long as there's mares and studs it's never over!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US