SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Abnormal sperm

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Methods » Abnormal sperm « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Anonymous (142.59.191.71)
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2001 - 10:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am relatively new to this horse breeding business however, I have a question. I have bred my mare this year to a relatively young stallion. In both shipments of semen when my vet has looked at it under a microscope the motility has been very good, however, there have been lots of abnormal sperm. Some of the sperm have double heads, others broken tails. I know this will potentially reduce the chances of my mare getting pregnant. What is the standard protocol when dealing with the stallion owner?

Kelly (63.172.47.196)
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2001 - 12:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would ask the vet that collected the stallion, what the sperm looked like before shipping. Your Vet could speak with him and relay what his findings were. They may decide that based on those findings, a change of protocol may be in order.

There are many different variables that can effect the sperm. The counts before and after shipping should be discussed. Regardless of the abnormal sperm, what % of the sperm was progressively motile? Shock incurred during the cooling or warming process can adversely effect the sperm. It is best if both vets can work together on this problem.

If the problem is found to be solely the responsibility of the stallion, the owner should reconsider the fees that you have paid for breeding.

Noble Knight (206.157.249.103)
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2001 - 05:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You didn't say what "lots" is but normally up to 25% abnormal sperm cells is acceptable. The fertility of a sample should be evaluated on a number of criteria including the volume, concentration, rate of forward movement and in-vitro environment survival. You can have a sample with a high abnormal count and maybe 35% alive and normal, but if those that are alive and well have the forward movement of a locomotive and live for 3 more days your mare should be in foal. If you are concerned about it and your mare is not in foal, Kelly has offered good advice.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US