SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Protecting my Mare during Live Cover...it went well enough though

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Methods » Protecting my Mare during Live Cover...it went well enough though « Previous Next »

Mary (216.53.217.124)
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2001 - 06:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We live covered (attempted to) my mare & stallion today. The mare is the 4 year old maiden? It was the stallion's first cover as well. BOTH were SUPER. She NEVER once even attempted to kick though didn't squat really (which the vet says is due to lack of experience on her part, but which also made us have to use an AV to collect him and then AI her as the angle was too difficult).

ANY way, she also had a VERY thick hymen the vet said and if the stallion HAD penetrated that or attempted to, it very well may have turned the mare off of breeding.

My question is this, IF we do live cover them next year, WHAT can I use to protect her withers and neck from him biting? He's not HORRIBLE about it, but I do not like that at ALL. The mare didn't mind a bit either.

Would anyone recommend muzzling him? Or covering her withers and neck with a canvas rug? I'm going to be making something myself because I can't really find what I want and don't want a horse blanket to slide around.

Any way thanks for any advice. :o)

Mary

Kelly (63.172.47.184)
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2001 - 11:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good job Mary- It is a bit unsettling to breed a mare AND a stallion for the first time. It sounds as if she was ready. Next time she will squat and understand more about it.

Some times, I will place the mare on a lower level than the stud, this helps to get a better angle for penetration. I have a slight mound that my stallion can stand on, while the mare is standing in the slight depression. It can assist "first timers" as well as help a smaller stud or one that is a little sore.

Your vet made a good observation about her hymen. After having a foal, she will be better suited
to accept the stallion. Next year should be very different for all concerned.

Your stallion may be more excited the next breeding. After all, now he knows what all the fuss is about! It is very natural for the stallion to want to bite and hold the mare along the neck while breeding. This behavior is exciting to the mare as well, and helps to restrain her in the wild. A stallion will grab a mare to help maintain his balance and pull himself on. If he is overly aggressive or violent with this action, by all means, pad her. I think that by having the mare standing a little lower than your stallion will help him relax and not worry with her neck as much. In this position, he can rest more of his weight on the mare and depend less on "holding on" to her.

BABM
Posted From: 147.133.36.210
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 01:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a young stallion (3ys) that lacks experience and also happens to be kind of short. This past week a 21 yr old mare came in to be bred. After working with him for probably 1.5 hrs (i.e. getting his haunces lined up and trying to get him to mount the right end) and manual positioning of his penis, he did mount and penetrate her with a partial ejaculation. The second time we tried to breed them, she was still in but (not backing up on him)walking around every time he tried to mount her and was never successfully in penetrated. Its like he doesn't know he can use his back legs after he is on the mare to reposition himself. The other problem was the height; the mare was slightly taller than he is and no mound was used = much frustration for all of us.

Another potentially bad habit that he may be trying to develope is biting the mare on the flank or haunches. Some one told me to muzzle him but I don't have one readily available and both my husband and I are college students so we are on a very limited income. (Any suggestions for make-shift muzzles or the type to use would be appreciated) I think my stallion just likes to hear the mare sqeal, because immediately after, he will mount her.

This situation becomes even more complicated and frustrating because he seems to be very sensitive to even slight correction. I can't use a stud chain on him (even the second time) over the nose, under the chin, or wrapped on the halter, or he thinks he needs to behave/backs off too much.

To make a long story short the first time was his only successful penetration and the mare owner is going to breed the mare to another stallion if she did not concieve. That I understand but I need some ideas to have better success next time. PLEASE HELP ME

TX Breeder
Posted From: 199.3.209.163
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 08:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you have a teasing stallion? My first suggestion is to make certain that the mare is hot and ready to breed before presenting your stallion to her. Secondly, help him with the height adjustment. You can either dig a depression for her to stand in ( must make sure that she stands still) or have him on slightly higher ground.

Many stallions must be lead well forward of the mares neck while he is mounting. That way his head is directly over her neck and withers. In this positon, he can hold with his front legs, allowing him to "thrust" and position himself so he can use his legs.This will also allow him contact with her hind quarters against his underside. Make sure her tail is wrapped and pulled to the side, so that he can feel complete contact with the base of his penis.

You may need one person to hold the mare, one person to lead the stallion and urge him up and over her withers while holding her tail to the side, and one person behind, ready to help guide the penis if need be. ( do not grab the penis with an enclosing grip, but palm up, guide the penis up and to the vulva. Too much grip can cause a partial loss of erection, or premature ejaculation.)

Do not worry about the nipping on the flank and haunches. This is normal, as long as he is not actually biting hard. If the mare stands there and just squeals, she likes it. This could be his foreplay and all stallions have their own style.

I suggest that you have a breeding contract signed before you breed a mare again. That way, it is all spelled out for the mare owner. To expect conception after one cover is unreasonable. It is early in the year, there is time.The mare owner should be better informed about breeding in general.Trust me, they can drive you crazy!Good luck next time.

BABM
Posted From: 147.133.36.245
Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 01:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't have a teasing stallion, but the mare was in heat. She was still throwing off urine and raising her tail, but every time he would try to mount she seemed to be dodging him with her hind quarters. she was being held also.

It seemed that when my stallion tried to mount from the side he would either not be able to move around to her back end or would VERY aggressively bite her halter or ears if he could get a hold of them. I don't think he knows how to use his back legs when he has mounted to reposition himself or get close enough to her to penetrate. I know he's young and needs experience, but I also don't want him to learn to bite so hard he starts a fight with a mare that is not quite as cooperative. If any one has suggestion on how to correct this over aggressive biting without using a chain or even pulling on the halter which would divert his attention please let me know.
Thanks

TX Breeder
Posted From: 199.3.209.129
Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 05:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your mare may not have been in a "standing" heat. Therefore, she was dodging him, creating the need for him to hold her. A teasing stallion would allow you to tease her untill she would stand for your stallion.

If she is too tall, he would not be able to position himself, especially form the side.

If he is not close enough to penetrate, you do not have him up on the mare enough. Only allow him to mount from the back, not the side. Then, urge him forward up her back and withers.

If he is biting her halter and ears, you do not have him in the correct position. Luckily, he is sensitive to the halter, so make him stay behind the mare.

He will get aggressive if you do not help him with the above mentioned problems. Better to insure that bad habits do not start, not wait for correction.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US