SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

How tall will a foal mature at?????? Questions

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Methods » How tall will a foal mature at?????? Questions « Previous Next »

Anonymous
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2001 - 08:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok I was wondering if a filly measures 13 hands tall at 1 year old and her dam was 14.2 and her sire was 16 hands tall. How tall should she mature at? Do stud colts grow faster than fillies? Can anyone help me out on this matter.

Jos
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 03:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Generally as a rule of thumb, the foal will be closer to the size of the mare, erring only slightly towards the size of the stallion.

In other words if you breed a 14 hh mare to a 17 hh stallion, you would be more likely to have a 15 hh foal than a 16 hh one; and conversely, if you bred a 17 hh mare to a 14 hh stallion, you would be more likely to have a 16 hh foal than a 15 hh one.

Actual growth rate tends to be both genetically predetermined (i.e. some mare or stallion's offspring grow faster than others) as well as environmental (feed and exercise). Additional factors will also figure in with the colt/filly difference as testosterone tends to slow down height growth, but increase muscle mass (in certain areas), so the actual age of puberty will also be an affecting feature.

Anonymous (152.163.195.187)
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2002 - 07:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i was wondering and heard that there can be measurments taken of the cannon bones or the length of the shoulders to tell how big a foal will be. are any of these right or false? can you tell me how it can be done?

Anonymous (209.240.222.131)
Posted on Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 05:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have heard that you can measure the foal from the hair line at the coranary band up to mid way of the knee & however many inches that is will be how tall they are. 14 inches means 14 hands.

Anonymous (63.217.212.39)
Posted on Friday, April 19, 2002 - 09:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's another way to guestimate adult size. Heard this one is quite accurate. Measure at one year old. Ideally on the birthday. Convert to inches, divide by .9 then convert back to hands.

13 hands is 52 inches
Divided by .9 = 57.78 inches
57.78 inches = approximately 14.2 hands (14.45)

Deanna Nelson
Neonate
Username: Deannan

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Three methods first elbow to fetlock place a string at the elbow and then stretch it down to the fetlock at the ergot. hold the place where the ergot was and leaving the string on the elbow raise the string up this is an estimated hight for your horses adult hight I have used this method once before and it was acurate within an inch. Another method I have heard about but may not be as accurate is mathamatical take your horses hight a two. He should be about 90% grown and do the math
14hd = xhd
90% 100%
x=15.5 (15.2hands)

and the third is the middle of the knee to the coranary band strait down inches converted to hands.

Amy
Neonate
Username: Snowdayz14

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 09:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i have a foal who is already as tall as her mother.. and the mare is only 14.2.. and the stallion is also 14.2..

the mare is a BLM mustang.. so i have NO clue about her family tree.. but the stallion i know his whole family is 14.2.. but the thing is.. my foal.. is only 7 months.. and already as tall as her mother.. and the vet says shes perfectly healthy.. so i am wondering.. if anyone has any ideas how to tell this way how tall she can get..

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 1640
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Foals will mature closer to the mothers height usually. They say that if you measure from the hairline to the soft spot in the knee thats your height so if he measures 15 inches he will mature to 15 hands. I have found this to be close. Measure your mare and see if she measures out taller than she is she is most likely stunted

Marilyn Lemke - Asia born 7-11-08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 1857
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 11:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Something interesting. We have an Arabian gelding that matured to 16 hands. His dam was 15 hands and the sire was 15.1. Sometimes weird things happen. He must have some tall horses in his lineage. I never checked it out. But it's very unusual to have an Arab that tall.

He has very long legs. He was butt ugly as a yearling, but now at 7 years old, he's quite the beauty. I guess he's was the ugly duckling sort or horse and took awhile to mature.

mariana cremonte
Breeding Stock
Username: Mariana_cremonte

Post Number: 261
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 11:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i just wanted to let you know I did it with Calfu (1 year) using both methods (dividing by .90 and measuring to the knee) with exaclty the same result: 169 cm (about 16.6 hand I believe). Fun!

Tara Jansen a[
Neonate
Username: Tarafawn

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, April 18, 2009 - 06:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a 16 hand mare who foaled a normal size filly in may 2007 it was her first foal. The stallion is 15.1 hands. The filly will be 2 yrs old in May and is only 14.1 possibly 14.2 hands at the most. We fed the mare horse gaurd and mare and foal supplements and a good ration of hay. I have no idea why this filly turned out small. I am hoping she is just a late bloomer. Very frustrating.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US