SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Is pasture breeding OK?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Methods » Is pasture breeding OK? « Previous Next »

Paintluver
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2001 - 04:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just wonderin' is it ok to pasture breed? I know a girl who is. I hear it could be REALLY dangerous just wanted some info.
Thanks!

Jos
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2001 - 02:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pasture breeding has a number of inherent risks - namely that there is no control over either the stallionor the mare. If the stallion is an older more experienced one, and the mare is a "good" mare to breed, then it may be comparitively safe. If in the other hand, the stallion is young, or the mare is a "kicker" a wreck involving serious injuries may be the result.

There are also other problems such as not necessarily having a good record of when the mare was bred; and there are potential medical problems with some mares that are prone to post-breeding inflammatory response.

Overall, it is not the most recommended metod of breeding, but is still carried out by some.

Paintluver
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2001 - 04:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks for the info after this my friend decided NOT to pasture breed!

b
Posted From: 66.156.138.62
Posted on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 10:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just to let you know what can happen. My mare kicked a stallion back and seriously injured the stallion while pasture breeding. I almost had to pay a $9,000 dollar bill for the stallion's injuries. So I wouldn't pasture breed again ever!!

wendy
Posted From: 206.222.195.98
Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 11:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have never had any trouble with pasture breeding. I've normally introduced an unbred stallion to a mare with experience in being pasture bred. My mares will give an over amerous stallion a good swift kick if they are not in the mood. But I feel it teaches the stallion how and when the mare is ready. Any 1st time mare gets pasture bred to a been there done that stallion. He knows when she is ready and will romance the heck out of her. One time I did have two first timers together for a few hours one night - they must have been quick learners because the next spring we had a gorgeous 1/2 Arabian paint colt. But I do normally recommend not having both the mare and stallion be a 1st timer together.

I personally think the whole process of some non-pasture breeding.. hobbles on the mare...getting the stallion all reving to go before he gets to her and all is to 'slam bam thank-you mam'. No wonder many first time mares bred this way are terrified of the whole situation. Now I'm not saying that that is how all non-pature breeding happens, but that's what I've seen others do. Guess, I'm a bit old fashioned I feel a stallion should romance his mares and the mares should be able to say not now. I've yet to have a stallion or a mare get hurt using pasture breeding. Well, except maybe the stallions pride when he gets a well placed kick and realizes that when the mare says no it means not yet.

Jos
Posted From: 142.177.7.222
Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 11:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm afraid I still can't agree with you, having seen broken legs, and severely damaged testicles and penises in pasture breeding situations, as well as mares that have been damaged by stallions.

In our short courses, we have one particularly grotesque photo of the end of a stallion's penis that was cut by a mare's tail hair and then became infected and developed habronemiasis - all because the breeding was done with no human involvement - pasture breeding....

If it were only the stallion's pride that is damaged, it might be acceptable, but unfortunately it's not!

wendy
Posted From: 206.222.195.159
Posted on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 02:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. If you feel more comfortable using non-pasture breeding methods that is fine. I myself will continue to use pasture breeding.

I'm not saying that accidents can't happen with ANY form of breeding. But I have never had any problems with pasture breeding. I live in rural ranch country. Our horses are allowed to be horses. They run together in huge pastures, they breed and foal together in the same way. I know of no one who has had any problems with their horses running together, breeding or foaling in this way.

I have seen others have life threatening problems with hand breeding. Mares hobbled and freaking out stallions rushing ahead and throwing a fit. I understand those are hopefully the acception and not the norm, but what you have said about pasture breeding is also the acception not the norm. Bad things can happen during the breeding process, but in all the thousands of pasture breedings I know of everything has been fine.

Jos
Posted From: 142.177.80.209
Posted on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 03:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember that I am not talking about a single operation, but an overall view of the many breeding operations that we have seen over the years.

Statistically, there are more accidents - and more severe accidents - seen with pasture breeding situations than others, assuming good management practices are performed in those other situations.

As you say, accidents can happen with any form of breeding, and it is imperative that good management practices be adhered too. This applies to in-hand breeding and AI. Unfortunately, there are no immediate management practices to be adhered to with pasture breeding, as there is no practical management related to the breeding process, consequently the most important controlling influence over reducing the possibility of an accident has been removed!

I do agree that if one compares poor management operations that perform in-hand breeding with pasture breeding operations, then one is indeed likely to see more accidents with the poorly managed in-hand operations, but there is no reason or excuse for poor management, and we spend many hours each year trying to educate breeders to that effect through our breeding short courses. Good management practices are easily implemented and performed, and once in place, the likelihood of incidence of accidents, when compared to pasture breeding, will be significantly reduced.

As you say, we will have to agree to disagree on this topic, and I hope for you and and your animal's sake that your good luck continues to hold! :-)

Anonymous
Posted From: 66.20.101.13
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 10:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I sorta agree with Wendy and Jos. As I hadn't had any problems with my TWH stallion with pasture breeding. For 7 years I didn't have any trouble except for 2 weeks ago. There was a expirenced pasture breeding mare bred to him by pasture. She kicked him in the sheath and ceriously injured him. I won't pasture breed him again, that is if he can still breed. He is at the vets now. But I MIGHT CONSIDER pasture breeding a very well expirenced mare and a stallion but NOT un expirenced. I don't agree with Wendy for a moment however. An unexpirenced stallion with an expirenced mare that is NOT in heat.BAD

wendy
Posted From: 206.222.195.65
Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 05:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anonyous-First, sorry to hear about your stallion I sure hope all turns out well with him. Do you have any idea what happened to cause the mare to kick him?

Also, my stallions run with mares, both bred and ones waiting to be bred and/or with geldings. It is impossible with a stallion running with others 24/7 for him to never be in a situation where he is with an unbred mare who is not in heat. I personally haven't had any problems with my stallions being pastured with others. What sort of problems have you had happen with an unexperienced stallion and a experienced mare that's not in heat?

Anonymous
Posted From: 66.20.101.12
Posted on Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 07:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My stallion is doing OK now. STILL badly damaged, but I don't know. I really don't know what caused "Sweetheart" to kick him, she was in heat when my stallion teased her and when my tease pony teased her also. In the beggining with my stallion who was kicked. He started pasture breeding when he was 3 years old. He had never pasture bred before or bred anything. This mare she was unexpirenced also (diffrent mare). My stallion teased her BUT he had a little trouble figuring out who to breed though! He finally figured it out and the mare WASN'T in heat and she kicked the living day break out of him!! He ALMOST fell back but managed to get off before that happened. He is hand breeding now, still at stud. HOPE YOUR GOOD LUCK CONTINUES!!

Sandra KS
Posted From: 68.76.2.143
Posted on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 01:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a friend who pasture-breeds Welsh section B ponies. She has more trouble with her senior stallion trying to breed him in-hand than in the pasture. It works for her because she only breeds him to the same 3-4 mares every year, they have known each other and been bred together for years (going on 12 this season).

She started a junior stallion in 2003 (I think he's 3 this year) right off with pasture breeding, first with an experienced mare and then with a few of her younger mares. One at a time only. Everybody got pregnant and nobody got hurt. Frankly, I see this as another one of those situations where our horses do well despite our best efforts, lol.

My own mare was pastured with a stallion before I got her (they had six foals together). I think she misses him; she flirts a lot with the geldings at her new place. I think I would be too nervous to try pasture breeding myself though, even if I had an experienced stallion!

Liz H.
Posted From: 152.163.252.161
Posted on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 03:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a well known Arabian Breeder who pasture breeds a Well known Arab Stallion.. and has no problems. I should clarify and say the stallion runs with a band of mares year around- the same mares.. out side mares are bred via AI. The Stallion is happy and healthy and there have been no injuries. Before this was done he was not a happy camper and was not thriving...

In some select programs pasture breeding can work and be effective. But I tend to side with Jos for the most part I would not want to pasture breed a stallion or mare

Barb
Posted From: 203.220.224.32
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 07:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recommend coupling the inexperienced with the experienced for first time courtship. Green on green makes black and blue as they say. I also think horses have survived for thousands of years without stud masters and come equipped with their own innate survival instincts and reflexes so I let our stallion paddock breed. Somewhere sometime he must accept responibility for his own actions and lets face it ,do you learn more quickly from molly coddling or a swift kick in the right direction ? But when he breeds a mare it is done under supervision.

jackie
Posted From: 216.240.0.28
Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 02:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the stallion is well socialized, regularly runs with mares and was taught at an early age it is not a problem.

Doing this with a stallion that is not used to being out with mares (the case with most stallions) is asking for trouble.

Janey Van Winkle
Neonate
Username: Shades

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 02:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am with wendy on this one. We have a QH stallion. We can hand breed him or pasture breed him. We perfer to pasture breed him. He gets to be out 24/7 with his mares. The only thing we have to be sure of is that there are no geldings around to threaten 'his' mares. He will kill them.

terri lynn (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 65.140.91.179
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 04:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am just curious as to how you go about putting your stallions back on the right track as to work or showing after breeding season if they act studdy in the work or show pen.. thanks terri

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US