SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Foal Handling

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Foal Handling « Previous Next »

Pamela Hammer
Neonate
Username: Baron

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 09:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would love to see a topic about handling foals. I know this isn't a training forum, but it would be great to understand their behavior and how to correct bad behavior.
I have two new foals and I'm a first time breeder. Two beautiful healthy bay colts! The first one born 6-3-06 is so incrediable pleasant. He loves to have people come in and pet him. (Yes, I was there for both birthes and I imprinted both of them and have spent lots of time with them.) Now for the second one, he was born on of all days, 6-6-06. (That's just great isn't it) Anyhow, he is just the opposit of the first. He likes to rear up at you and walk on his hind legs towards you, and he doesn't hesitate to spin and kick you. I'm not talking about that bouncing up and down in the back end when you put your hand on their rump, I mean he's kicking with both back legs as hard as he can and aiming for you. It really hurts when he gets you right in the knees. How do i correct this without making him affraid of me. Not to metion his dam got rather ill when I smacked him on the butt for kicking. I would really appreciate any help.

Emma
Breeding Stock
Username: Emma

Post Number: 167
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 09:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Pamela, sounds like you were on the right track the first time by giving him a smack. You need to dicipline him. Treat you horses like you would treat your own kids. You need to scare him, so weather you smack him on the butt quiet firmly with a lunge whip (dont use anything smaller because he could get you!) or you read his signals that he will be giving you and scare him by rushing at him before he goes to kick you. Both these things will work and will make him respect you. His dam or paddock buddies would do the same thing to him. He may shy away and be sulky to his mum for a short time but i promise HE WILL GET OVER IT and you will have a much better realationship with him. and make sure you are consistant, other wise he will start to get even naughtier but will be sneaky about it. It should only take one or two good scares to straigten him out. Oh and make sure you tie his dam up first, then she hasn't got a say in the way you dicipline her baby!

Pam
Neonate
Username: Baron

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 09:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Emma, You are right on. He has improved immensely. He is now a very friendly big guy. He does like to think of us as his play mates and wants to rear and walk on hind legs at you. We are treating him more like a grown up and expecting him to have manners and stay in his own space and out of ours. Thanks again for the help. I'll get better with a bit more experiance.
Pam

Cassie Aaenson
Neonate
Username: Mommacas

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 02:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Emma. The sooner you discipline him, the better. A light smack is usually enough to send them running for cover behind their mother and they will definitely have a new view of you as a herd mate. Have you ever noticed how the mare will discipline a rambunctious baby who is trying out his new teeth on her teats? She has no problem reaching around and nipping him in the hocks. Babies need discipline to learn how to be good citizens.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US