SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

A bug is a bug unless its on your horse!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » A bug is a bug unless its on your horse! « Previous Next »

Debbie Burnett
Breeding Stock
Username: Horselady

Post Number: 128
Posted on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 05:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My new little stud colt seems to have brought some unwelcome passengers from Indiana with him. He went to the trainers just two weeks ago and on giving him a spot bath to rid him of some staining, she noticed when his hair was wet he seemed to have some kind of small greyish bug with a brown head. Very small, I didnt even notice them when she wanted to show me them. THey aren't moving, just seem to be attached to his hairs here and there. He was wormed about two weeks ago, could this have killed whatever he brought up with him? He still seems very itchy and his skin is like dandruff -she called it scabies (YUCK!).

I havent been able to identify these little critters, they dont seem to have legs or pinchers I can identify, very small, not moving.

ANy ideas what they are and how go rid the little guy of them? Or are they already dead with the wormer and just still stuck to his hair?

Anyone heard of this before? Jos?

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10572
Posted on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 06:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What parts of the body are they inhabiting? If predominantly in the mane and tail regions (longer hair) then you are probably looking at lice, in which case it is doubtful that the dewormer will have got them efficiently (Ivermectin might, but don't count on it unless you're using pour-on).

Debbie Burnett
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 129
Posted on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 09:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The trainer was spot bathing his mane and neck. The bugs she says she saw (which I did not) were in his neck hair. They are so small I couldnt see anything. She said she didnt notice until his hair was wet, then they stood out more. She wet his neck and then brushed his hair forward and back, but I still didnt see anything ( maybe I'm blind).

His skin is very "dandruffy and he's itchy all over, butt, neck, you name it. She plans on worming him in two weeks again as he was also full of worms (Yuck!) and wants to get the next cycle as it matures, maybe that will take care of the rest of these little critters. As he is a perlino tobi, its hard to see any bugs on him unless you know what to look for.

If the ivermectin doesnt do the trick, what else could we use.? I know with the cattle, they pour a strip of ivermectin down their back and that takes care of the lice for the year so I am told. Is there some kind of horsey remedy... also... what can we do to soothe the itching and get rid of the horsey dandruff?

Heather Kutyba
Breeding Stock
Username: Heatherck11

Post Number: 176
Posted on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 11:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Debbie,
Do this....
get some scotch tape and use it to get a sample of the prospective bugs. Lice can be very small, depending on what species.
Small insects/parasites such as lice stick great to scotch tape. Try to get a sample and take it to your vet so he/she can get an idea of what is truly on your horse.
Some lice can be controlled with oral ivermectin, but there are others that have to be treated with medicated baths/dips to get rid of them. Any which way, determining WHAT kind of critter is on your horse is the first step.

Kim Winter
Breeding Stock
Username: Clafairy

Post Number: 297
Posted on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 09:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with heather - but we had a horse, piebald clolouring, that had lice for ages, we had real trouble getting them all out, they tend to stick in the hair and are hard to see if you arent looking out for them - They, Im sure, where also grey with a red head, deep red. So it could be them, in which case Lice powder is what you'd need. Its like talcom powder and you just rub it into the coat.

Good luck whatever they are - hope you can find it out!

Joanna
Breeding Stock
Username: Joanna

Post Number: 120
Posted on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 12:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had two wild horses from colorado a couple of years back, and they were both covered in lice. My vet said to just use the lice powder for aboust three treatments, and it would clear up. That is what we did, and we had no problems after that.

Kim k
Breeding Stock
Username: Kimk

Post Number: 556
Posted on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 01:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi, tried posting earlier, must have had problems with my service ??? Anyways, I would have to agree with Joanna. My original post reccommended useing lice dust. It normally does a good job and can be used in cold weather, not having to bathe a animal. If the skin is irritated enough you may need to contact a vet for some steriods to calm the inflamaiton down. The skin can be inflamed even after the problem goes away. So sometimes a steriod is needed. A black light is good for finding "bugs" as well, and if you don't have a black light sometimes even a flash light does the trick as the "bugs" sometimes will come out for the heat and light.
A good tar shampoo will help with the itching as well as help to kill the "bugs" if your in a climate that you can bathe in .

Other animals need to be watched and I would even consider dusting the others that are there just to cover any extra bugs, especially any pasture buddies or close stall mates. Normally if one has them others will too.

Scabies in humans is a skin mite. Would guess that it is the same in equine? All brushes , combs, blankets ,etc., need to be washed, Scabies is contagious and can be caught by touching the affected person(or would be equine). Long ago used to be believed to be associated with persons that did not bathe. NO longer true.

Kim
good luck

(Message edited by kimk on April 12, 2006)

Kim k
Breeding Stock
Username: Kimk

Post Number: 557
Posted on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 01:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also , I don't think that they have licensed anything for "pour On" for equine as their spin absorbs much differently than cattle. Use with caution. I do know some ranches using cattle pour on on their equine without any trouble.

Kim

Debbie Burnett
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 130
Posted on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 02:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks guys, I am on the way to the trainer now. Am going to take my scotch tape with me LOL. Theres a tack shop just a few mins away from her so Ill probably swing by and pick up some de-licing stuff. Temps here in Canada today are around 70 degrees F. Not a bad day, but lots of rain is coming our way.

I'll let you know what I find out.

Deb

Lori aka " Raven"
Breeding Stock
Username: Raven

Post Number: 237
Posted on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 04:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Debbie where abouts in Canada are you?

Debbie Burnett
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 131
Posted on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 05:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im in a small village about half an hour west of Ottawa Ontario.

I called my vet. She said lice. Yep. YUCK! My trainer is having fits. Oh well, nobody's fault. I went to the tack shop and got some de-licer which the trainer will powder him up with, and do his stall etc. She is also washing and disinfecting all the equipment and brushes.

One of the reasons I called the vet was because the whites of his eyes are so red and his eyelids seem irritated. I wanted to know if the lice would be causing the irritation or whether it was something else.

She suggested it could be allergies (pollen, dust, dirt etc.) and we could treat it with a little polysporin. We already did that last weekend when the trainer noticed a slight discharge from his eyes, do the poly isnt doing the trick on that.

She suggested we try an alternate drop with a little steroid in it to lessen the irritation. I will pick that up tomorrow. Right now the little blue eyed boy looks like he was out drinking all night with the boys. Poor fellow !
Deb.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10574
Posted on Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 12:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If your vet is Dr. Helen Douglas, give her my best regards!

Good luck.

Debbie Burnett
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 132
Posted on Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 02:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nope... its Nancy Caven in Mississippi Mills, just outside Pakenham Ont. :-)

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US