SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

My new round pen!! Help appreciated...

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » My new round pen!! Help appreciated... « Previous Next »

Kim Winter
Breeding Stock
Username: Clafairy

Post Number: 270
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 03:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well - With as little as 20days to go to a possible foaling - I thought I hasd better start preparing myself a bit. I had this round pen built so that I could monitor my girl more easily if I get to be present at foaling and so that the foal was not near the barbed wire fencing around the field (Its a rented field not my own, I couldnt afford to re-fence the whole thing!!)

Have a look at the picture I took today, what do you think - I was going to put straw bales around the bottome of it nearer the time when the rain clears up to block the bottom off - Do you think that is necessary?? I was also going to put a strand of electric tape around the middle, so that it doesnt try to get between any of the rails... Do you think that would be better at the borrom instead of laying bales out??? Please help - Im worried I have overlooked things and that my place is just not as suitable as I wanted!!!

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c172/clafairy/300%20days/newroundpen.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c172/clafairy/300%20days/weeinroundpen.jpg

Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou in advance!!!! : )

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock
Username: Kris

Post Number: 523
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 09:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would put something there, or you may have a baby roll underneath!!! ive been told says minimum of 2 feet solid, i am using round pen panels with straw bales in some areas, and ply wood in others.

Heather Kutyba
Breeding Stock
Username: Heatherck11

Post Number: 166
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 10:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kim,

I have seen folks use the no-climb horse wire (fencing) on pens like this. You'd have to make sure it was flush with the ground, and of adequate heighth...but you could roll it up and put it away when you were done with it.
You can normally find it at any home depot, lowes, or tractor supply. Just a thought.

Kim Winter
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 271
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 08:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heather - Thats an excellent idea - but I was told not to use it by people because the foal might get its feet caught in it...???

If you all seem to think that that is not a problem I should worry about - I would far rather do that...

Kim k
Breeding Stock
Username: Kimk

Post Number: 543
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 09:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kim, I sortta like Heathers Idea. Even though there is some chance of it happening, I think that there is a bigger chance of the foal escaping under the fence the way you have it now, and then mom can get upset and then you would have a mess too. I have used the fence before in much larger turn outs and have not had a problem with it. One of the problems is them seeing it and not running though it but you have the wood sections so that will help that. I agree that you need some type of additional fence around what you have. I have a two rail riding areana and even our one and only gelding that is 14.3 will finagle his way under the fence if he really wants too and the babies, will walk right under or through it, roll under it. How big is the pen, is it large enough to run your hot wire and give them room as to not feel like they are going to touch it every time they move. ??? just questions to ask. The plywood is a good idea to but it will rot easy and be a cost factor. If you do the wire fencing you can reuse it. leave it up with the round pen and not just have to throw it out like you would straw or plywood.

Kim Winter
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 276
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 09:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its 16 metres right across from one side to the next - Like a monty roberts round pen, but they are meant to be 20 metres (I couldnt afford that at the moment!!) My mare is quite happy grazing in there... I only want to keep them in there as long as I need to - its just until the foal learns to steer clear of electric tape - because then, I can electric tape where the barbed wire is, and it wont go into that... The mesh that heather is on about would be useful, because I could run it right across and not worry all the time that it got out, but mum is going mental still in the penn!! Also, I could roll it away after it learnt to respect the post and rail and is a bit bigger like you say, and reuse it if I need to.

Heather Kutyba
Breeding Stock
Username: Heatherck11

Post Number: 167
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 10:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kim,
The no climb horse fencing can be bought in a multitude of linking...you can get small, or the larger holes. May be a good idea to go and look over what your local hardware store has.
We have 1 fence line that adjoining the neighbors that is medium link horse fencing. I DID have an initial problem with Buddy being able to see it because it is the ONLY fence line w/out middle boards (of course). Won't go into details, but lets just say I fixed the problem the same day!
If you used it, that won't be an issue for you because you have the boards behind it.
So that Buddy could see the fence, I went and got surveyors tape ($1.46/roll) at the local hardware store. Got the brightest color I could find, and wove it all the way down. The neighbors made fun of me for days...
Here's a pic (not real clear, but you'll get the idea).
[IMG]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f298/HeatherCK11/Buddy6.jpg[/IMG]

BTW, as far as your round pen....while the foal going under it when board is a risk, when that little one gets up and has his land legs...he/she could easily go through the middle. We had an apparently larger gap than it should in our fence inbetween rails....and the little monkey walked through the rails and got on the other side of the pasture. We redid the whole wood fence line :-) .

Kim Winter
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 277
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 07:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks heather - Yes, that is what my friend said when she saw it - The gaps are too wide, and she warned that when It is feeling more boystous (sp?) It might try climbing through the middle.

I will put the fencing all the way up and right around. How much this will cost I dont know!! But...its all worth it in the end I hope!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US