SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Mud fever

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Mud fever « Previous Next »

Jennifer Myers
Neonate
Username: J2324

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 02:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi I would like to know if anyone has any home remedies for mud fever. My mare gets it often. She has a bad case of it now. Thank you

Danielle Roosen-Runge
Yearling
Username: Rolling_hills_quarter_horses

Post Number: 54
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 03:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Schreiners! It goes away quickly.

Lori
Nursing Foal
Username: Lori

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 07:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have tried many things. Even the silvadene from the vet and oral medication.
What I have found that works best is FUROZONE ointment mixed with meat tenderizor. The furozone heals, the meat tenderizor disentigrates the scabs and takes them off without traumatizing the skin.
If the case is really bad, you can mix alittle DMSO in to get the furozone to penetrate through the swollen, inflamed skin.
Apply twice a day.
It is important that the area be kept dry and, most people don't know this, but mud fever does much better if it is kept out of the sun, at least for a couple of days, and when the scabs first come off. that tender new skin WILL burn and your problems will start all over.
Some horses do better with the area covered, and some do fine in deep sawdust.
Good luck, Lori

Lori
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 07:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I forgot to tell you, for PREVENTION. get generic GOLD BOND POWDER. every morning liberally dust the areas before she goes out. If any tiny scabs, be sure to rub in the powder very well.
Many people use Desitin ointment for prevention. I find this traps moisture, makes the area damp and overly warm. The powder dries and prevents moisture.
Year in, year out, the only time I have to deal with mud fever is when a horse clips itself and gets a scab, which will turn into mud fever if I dont' powder it right away. The powder prevents the mud fever year after year
Lori

Joanna
Yearling
Username: Joanna

Post Number: 98
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 11:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What exactly is mud fever?

Lori
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 07:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mud fever, or scratches, is a skin condition on the back of the pastern of horses that looks like scabs of mud stuck in the hair. Many horses display signs of lameness. The scabs are very difficult to remove and when not removed properly, cause great pain and discomfort to the horse.
Imagine having a burn scabbed over and someone is picking at the scabs and actaully pulling them off.
Under the scabs, the skin is swollen, pink and weepy. The constant weeping under the scabs makes the condition worse, and the scabs will multiply. They can cause the entire leg to swell, and travel up the leg, forming large crusty weeping areas.
The cause can be different things and can be different to different horse. It was once believed to come only from dirty conditions, but now it is known that even dew from grass and clean conditions can cause it in some horses. Some times it seems bacterial, sometimes fungal.
It occurs mostly, but not exclusively, on horses with white legs.
Sun burn can also cause it to form....
Lori

Jennifer Myers
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 10:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info,I was going to get some desitin but if gold bond powder works better. I have been putting cool blue aloe vera gel on her and today the swelling is almost gone. The vet gave me some silvadene cream to put on also.I am so lucky that she is a sweet mare.I felt bad yesterday while trying to clean the scabs off.Its like she knows im trying to help her. She is a AQHA two eyed jack,doc bar,hancock,Shes got some great bloodlines. I will be on hear in july waiting for her baby and my other mares baby,Cant wait for baby season. Thanks again.

Kim Winter
Breeding Stock
Username: Clafairy

Post Number: 211
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 10:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also - to prevent mud fever, I get Sulphur from our chemist and mix it with vegetable oil - It is bright yellow and you just slather it on to their legs before they go out into the mud. The vegetable oil keeps the mud off - it just slides off, and the sulphur is anti bacterial or something. My friend told me of this yrs ago.

Hope you find something that works for you! And good luck with your pregnancies....

Terri Berwanger
Yearling
Username: Terrib

Post Number: 85
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 12:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's the zinc in Baby Gold Bond that works so always get the green kind. I have a mare that is terrible for mud fever but the problem is compounded by the fact she can't handle her back feet touched. Trauma from when she was a baby - long story. Anyway, we have to tranq her and really clean them good, after drying I put straight zinc cream on affected areas. From then on I use the Gold Bond powder unless they get bad again. I have to have my parents ship the gold bond to me as I can't get powder with zinc in it here. Any of the generic versions of gold bond with the zinc in it are just as good.
Terri

Kim k
Breeding Stock
Username: Kimk

Post Number: 510
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 12:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Caldisine baby powder also contains zinc-- I personally have had no experience with mud fever. The caldisine seems to do well with the human babies too! Its in a pink bottle, sotta costly as i believe gold bond is too. 4-6 americans dollars for a small bottle of it. Keeps the moisture off their bums !

Jennifer Myers
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 04:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I herd that A&D oitment works to prevent it from coming back. My friend said she used baby oil on her gelding after he cleared up/ I have been taking sadie for walks and letting her eat a little grass on the driveway. Poor girl,I hate making her stay in her stall . But if it means getting her mud fever cleared up. I am going to make her a little pin on the side of the barn so she can be out side,It is all gravel their with a little grass on the side. As long as its not raining or muddy their it shouldnt hert her should it? We live in oregon so its hard not to be in the mud ya know. Thanks again every one for your info on preventing it from coming back. I will try every thing.I shaved her feet up to her fetlocks today to get all that off. She is such a good girl,She just stood their for the whole thing.She looks way better today all the swelling is gone

SDS
Weanling
Username: Whisper05

Post Number: 36
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 07:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear that Shapley's M-T-G works on that sort of thing,well according to the bottle,havent tried to yet to see if it really works,but heard good things about it.

Terri Berwanger
Yearling
Username: Terrib

Post Number: 87
Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 12:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The worst part of mud fever for my mare is actually getting to her back legs. I have no options as far as clipping goes, would have to get vet to tranq in vein and it would be quite an ordeal. She is basically cleared up now save for a few small little spots and I just keep using the powder. I actually have to bring her in for the winter earlier then the other mares because of this problem. In Ireland our winters would be similar to Oregon. It is an annoying problem, but I just have to stay on top of it. All my paddocks have spots of mud somewhere so I have no choices with that, but bringing in at night to a straw bed seems to help in drying them up.
Terri

Joanna
Breeding Stock
Username: Joanna

Post Number: 103
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 12:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Lori, for the info, I really had no idea what it was.

Lori
Neonate
Username: Shstables

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 04:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a wonderful home remedy for scratches or mud fever. My vet told it to me years ago.
We deal it that a lot where I am since it is moist often!!

Take one tube of triple antibiotic ointment, one tube of desitin and one tube of clortriamazole cream. Mix together and spread on the infected area.

Before spreading onmake sure that the area is clean and as many of the scabs are gone. I soften the scabs with a little baby oil and then gently, very gently scrub them off. If some are really stuck I usually leave them and work with them the next day.

It has always worked for me. Usually take a few days and the infection is gone!!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US