SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Input needed from those who would like to share...

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Input needed from those who would like to share... « Previous Next »

Lori aka " Raven"
Yearling
Username: Raven

Post Number: 90
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 06:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey everyone

I have been thinking the last couple of days about putting together a file with the different stages of pregnancy and udder deveploment. I do not know how it will end up like but I would like to try it.

Here is what I would like to know and have:
-Pictures of the pregnant mare (side view) and udders from day 320 on till foaling.
-Please include with the pictures how many days the mare is.
-Is she a maiden or season broodmare.
-Had she been on fescue or not.

Please email all this too me at ravenhurst@bellnet.ca I will keep everyone updated or at least try as I am putting this together for your opinions on how it looks.

Thanks

Rebecca
Neonate
Username: Country_gal_id

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 12:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone I have been watching this message board now for sometime and now I need some questions answered I am new to this and need some help
how old should a mare be when you deside to breed and also how old should a stud be

Kassie Finley
Breeding Stock
Username: Jkqh

Post Number: 269
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 01:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Rebecca and welcom. The age of the mare and stallion really depends on the horse itself. But most people dont breed a young stallion until at least 2 years old and sometimes they even wait until 3 or 4. For mares they can have a foal pretty easily most of their life but me personally I don't like to breed a mare until they are at the very least 3 years old, I have one mare that is 3 now I thought about breeding her this year but decided to wait since I think she needs another year to mature more. And if they are a maiden and old that just depends I would talk with a vet about that, I have a maiden mare we bred this year that is 13. If they have had foals before usually they can have them until later i life. Some people even breed up in the 20's. But I would say talk with your vet about your personal mare. All cirucmstances are different and each mare is different. Hope that helped some. What kind of mare do you have?

Rebecca
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 02:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thank you for the welcome I have 5 horses all quartars one is a stallion as you say I always called him a stud but hey I am new to this horse thing but I am enjoying every minute of it going from a city chic to a country girl wasnt easy but I am getting the hang of it haha
I have 4 female horses one of them is 4 the previous owner let her foal at 1 what a fool but I was thinking maybe to breed her this yr and Ihave two that are 2 and a yearling I am not sure I will breed this yr as I am expecting myself and it will be hard being as I never done this before
Any help or advise I will sure use

Kassie Finley
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 270
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 03:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rebecca, first of all congratulations on your baby. Second I know just what you mean about being a city girl and turning country lol. I did that exact thing about 5 years ago. I had always loved horses but my family always lived in the city and I could never have one for that fact. As soon as I got maried I told my husband (also a city boy) I wanted to move to the country and I wanted horses, and lots of them lol. So about 5 years ago we moved out here and we now have 9 horses, 3 stallions, and 6 mares. I am still learning things but I have come a long way. We have foaled out 3 foals so far and next year we are expecting 5 (all in one year I am stressed about that lol). I have found this board is a great place to talk with ones that have a lot of experience and know more than me. Afterall the best way to learn is ask questions, even dumb ones lol. I know I asked my share of dumb quesitons, I still have some too . And WOW foaling at one awful. Thats like a baby haveing a baby.
At least she is old and more ready to foal. If you breed her now she will be 5 when she foals, that is a good age.

I have quarter horses also. And one Paint Stallion. We raise Champagne horses. I have always loved the color and that was what I always wanted. Will this be your first foal?

Rebecca
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 04:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kassie ........ Yes this will be my first foal and first baby grrrr I am stressed already I am not due til March so still aways away but still
you have 9 horses wow thats what I have wanted for a long time is LOTS of horses lol I just love them to death mine are such babies and the stallion well thats another story guess he's a typical guy and the mares I always call my girls they are such hams at times
I am still debaiting on breeding my 5 yr old I have never seen a horse pregnant before not have I seen one deliver its kinda scary for me My husband says she will do fine and wants me to let her breed but to me she is one of my babies I just dunno

Lori
Weanling
Username: Lori

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 07:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI Rebecca,
You would be welcome to join this forum,
http://groups.msn.com/Stallionhandlingandtraining/_whatsnew.msnw
it has more "conversation" type talk and lots of EVERYDAY discussion about stallions; fencing, taking them away from home, socializing, feeding, promotion etc.
It isn't like this group as a source of repro info, but fun and helpful on other topics...
Lori

nancy vance
Weanling
Username: Ndv101

Post Number: 34
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 11:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rebecca welcome. I am a first timer to. We got our Appy mare last Feb. got to researching her bloodlines and decided to breed to another Appy. You will learn a lot on here, I sure have and everyone is so helpful. Next year should be quite exciting for us all. Good luck with your pregnancy and your new life as a country girl. Yee haw!!!!!!!!!!!11

Rebecca
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 12:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you all so much for the warm welcome
Lori I did check out on the website you posted just waiting to be contacted to become a member
Kassie ........wow I just looked at your website that is awesome all of your horses are beautiful
and congradulation on all you foals coming yes it is going to be an exciting year I cant wait

Kassie Finley
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 272
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 02:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rebecca thank you. I am busting my butt today getting ready for a horse show. We are showing our Perlino yearling colt. he did really well at letting me get him ready but when it came time for the ears to be clipped, boy he did not like that one bit lol. But with a little work he eventually let me clip them and they look good now. I plan on getting some nice pictures of him while he is clean, I know he won't stay that way long lol.
Do you have pictures of your horses you can post?

Rebecca
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 07:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kassie ............. yes I do have pics but I wouldnt even know how to go about posting them I guess you could say I am a dummy when it comes to stuff like that

Kassie Finley
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 273
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 09:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You could post them on www.photobucket.com, that is a free place for posting pictures. Then just copy and past the url in your message.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US