SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Mare foaled standing

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Mare foaled standing « Previous Next »

Mid-western
Nursing Foal
Username: Midwestern

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, February 20, 2012 - 08:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last night....well actually it was 2:15 a.m.....I helped a mare (15.3 hand Standardbred) deliver her foal while she was standing. That was a first for me and I have seen many foals born. She simply would not stay down...we even tried to keep her down by holding her head down once but we could not. So my daughter and I caught the filly so she would not get hurt when she finally came out of the mare. We bought the mare in early January and she had two foals prior, but the farm did not give us any indication she had problems foaling before.

There had been another mare in the foaling stall who we had to move out when this mare went into labor. She had not looked like she was that close earlier in the evening, and her stall was only 12'x12' which is not really large enough to foal in....but it has been done before....not ideal though. Is it possible the mare did not want to give birth there due to the other mare's scent?

Filly and mom are bothg doing fine....IgG was 960 and she is very strong.

Only 17 more to go....I sure love our foal alert!

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 4141
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2012 - 06:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL....i wouldnt' consider this a "problem foaling"....some mares just prefer to stand!

Mid-western
Nursing Foal
Username: Midwestern

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2012 - 08:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This almost happened again last night! A mare went in to labor (who had shown no signs earlier in the evening) so I once again moved the other mare from the foaling stall. The mare I put in the foaling stall did not seem to want to lay down either. So I have a theory it MUST have something to do with another mare's scent being there. Nevertheless, she finally delivered a nice big colt....laying down...lol.

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bonny

Post Number: 2464
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2012 - 08:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe it has to do with stall size not mares scent...?

Karen Knight
Weanling
Username: Sparkskaren

Post Number: 36
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2012 - 11:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it has more to do with the fact that you are moving the mares into an enviroment they have not been used to and are not relaxed enough to lie down.

Also are you watching them foal from a distance or standing in the stall? some mare will not lay down and foal if they are not happy with you there.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US