SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Hay problems

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Hay problems « Previous Next »

Heather Kutyba
Yearling
Username: Heatherck11

Post Number: 94
Posted on Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 10:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all,
I'm sure everyone has been affected by last years drought, making it a real task to get hay.
Down here in TX, getting hay now is a lot like trying to get gasoline during the hurricane evacuation. Those who have it are stock piling it, or selling it for $7-10/bale.
While I have been able to get coastal hay, the quality has been poor and I've been throwing out $8 hay that is apparently (so the horses say) inedible. I was able to get a few bales of really good alfalfa, but it is all but gone.
I have found some hay today that appears to be of decent quality, but is a type I'm not familiar with.
Down here, we have primarily coastal mixes and bermuda.
This hay is a timothy cross. I got a few bales to try, and the horses are eating it well. It is really green (compared to coastal).
Does anyone have any input into this kind of hay??? I can get an additional 50 bales at $7.35 each tomorrow.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Many thanks,
Heather

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock
Username: Kris

Post Number: 234
Posted on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 06:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

timothy crossed with? we mostly frow timothy up here. good stuff as long as it has not overgrown, if it seeds out the horse dont care for it too much, it gets kind of like straw. we grow it mixed with broam, orchard grass, alfalf and some people mix clover in it. the horse do real well on it here.

Kim k
Breeding Stock
Username: Kimk

Post Number: 433
Posted on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 07:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heather , it would be good hay to be feeding. We like Kris grow our own. We mix timothy, clover, and orchard grass and a bit of alfalfa together. The horses do well on it.

The dark green color should mean that it should not have gotton any rain on it after cutting but before bailing. The color will drastically fade once the hay has been rained on in the drying phase and then redried.

wow 7.25 a bale ! yikes ! I just picked a a few round bales to feed to the mares. they are about 1000 pound bales and I paid 25.00 bucks a bale. I was looking in the local paper this past weekend and still was able to find hay for 3.25 a square bale.

Robin Culbertson
Neonate
Username: Murrini

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 10:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, I am so jealous, grass hay and alfalfa are around 11-12 dollars per bale (square) and a mix of the two is about 14 per bale. We are in northern california, and that's the cost it's been for years, nothing new now.

Kim k
Breeding Stock
Username: Kimk

Post Number: 438
Posted on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 10:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ouch! I now know that I don't want to move to CA. ! I had a friend that lived there for a while, and I remember now that is what he said it ran. What a difference in price. I am guessing that is due to the land that is available for making hay and weather condititons. For us , here in Northern Indiana the high price for hay would maybe top out at 4.00 to 4.50 if there is a really rough season. Maybe 5 bucks for a pure alfafa. But normally we can stay close to 3 bucks for grass mix. And if one area is dry then another part of the county might be a bit weter and produce enough rain to grow the hay. In a twenty mile difference of the county lack of hay and then the other has more.

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock
Username: Kris

Post Number: 237
Posted on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 10:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow! if i had to pay that much for hay i dont think i would have as many horses as i do!! OUCH!! I bought (because i currently am not growing enough to get by with all the horses i acquired in hte last year) a 1200 round bale of same hay i grow froma neighbor last week for 30.00 wow! i fel sorry for you guys!!!

Lori
Nursing Foal
Username: Lori

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 01:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how much do those bales weigh? Around here, timothy mixed hay is good stuff, as long as it isnt' mixed with alfalfa, then it is too rich. A good timothy/grass mix is great.
Sells for about $2.50 for a 60 - 90 pound bale. I hope they aren't ripping you poor people off. Maybe you could find a hay broker over the interent, go in with others and get something cheaper from up north? Lori

Robin Culbertson
Nursing Foal
Username: Murrini

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 02:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Luckily I have good pasture for all of my horses, I have 6 with a foal on the way, I am only feeding my pregnant mare right now. We can get locally grown bales for about 3-5 dollars, but it is nasty stuff and tiny bales. Really only good for cattle. Most of our hay is imported from Oregon to our local feed stores. We are thinking of hooking up the horse trailer and just going to Oregon and getting loads of hay for my boyfriends horses (he stables his) in the future, It would be a 150+ mile trip one way. I have to check prices up there though and see if it is worth it though.

windy fillmore
Weanling
Username: Windyf

Post Number: 42
Posted on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 09:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here in tn hay sales for about 2.50 a bale but that has fescue. We get our hay from an old family friend who calls us the day he bales and he charges us 1.75 a bale but we pick it up in the field his hay is orchard grass / fescue mix but it has never caused us a problem but he is very diligent in fertilizer and weed control. We also get wheat hay from him but not as much as we'd like as he has horses and llamas that he feeds it to so we can only get his extra. We also found a farmer who sells alfalfa in the field for 2.00 a bale but our name is at the bottom of his list so there again we get what is left over. I don't think I'd have one horse if I had to pay 8.00 a bale. Tell me where you are and Ill get a tractor trailer full and sell it to you for 4.00 a bale I'd be rich in one season.LOL

Heather Kutyba
Yearling
Username: Heatherck11

Post Number: 95
Posted on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 09:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey all,
Got the hay and it looks better than anything I've seen around for months. Since I now have 60 bales of timothy...my horses will be okay, when many people can't get it. The feed stores are running out, and now have a waiting list...and you can only buy hay IF you buy feed at the same time.
Hay brokers are pulling over on the side of the highways, and selling 18 wheeler loads w/in 2 hours.
The going price is $8+, with no guarantee's of quality. So, I got them at $7.35/bale (about 70 lbs each)...which is a "bargain".
This hay situation IS highway robbery. People are shipping it in from other states. Hay growers around here (and there are many) have been out for 2 months.
I had intended on re-breeding my are this year, but the prices of everything have skyrocketted to the point where I'm thinking twice...

Lori aka " Raven"
Nursing Foal
Username: Raven

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 09:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heather, I would love to make a deal with you for hay this year. I am putting in 18 acres of timothy/alfalfa 70/30 mixture and have no body to sell the rest too. My friend has a transport and another friend has the ability to import it into the states. Hay off the field sells for $3.25 canadain. Bales range about 50-70 lbs each.
Just a thought?? How many bales do you go through in a year?

Grace D Cross
Neonate
Username: Crosswinds

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 09:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Help!!!!
We are looking for 900# OR LARGER ROUND bales for our horses, we are in lower Michigan. Any phone #s would be very helpful...Thanks

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 312
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 03:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hay is high here but not that high although i bought a bale of bermuda from the feed store for 6.50 and I think it weighed less than the salt block i bought. It was terrible. thank God I only needed it for a carry over. almost feed pellets cheaper.
Ps for those of you needing lg quanities and can have it shipped MT has hay and central KS has a bit.

(Message edited by bugrace2000 on August 07, 2007)

Laurie A Beltran
Nursing Foal
Username: Prophecy_ranch

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 06:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Everyone!
I was going to try not to add any comments to this thread, I couldn't!! You are all so right! About living in California!!!!! To top that off I live in San Diego, now hay prices here in S.D is 14.75 per bale I go through 1 bale a day for 7 horses and that's only because the morning feeding consist of Bermuda pellets. The 80lb bags are 13.00 so I am not to happy about the amount of money you need to live in California! On the other hand real estate has gone totally whacky!! :-) makes it nice for me!!!!!!!!!!! I bought back in the day....SHhhh I won't disclose my age!!!!!!!! Ok! 49 and proud!
For everyone that pays under 5.00 per bales LUCKY YOU!!!! Everyone have a wonderful Day!

Lori aka " Raven"
Breeding Stock
Username: Raven

Post Number: 587
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 06:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grace D Cross, I maybe able to help you out. You are close enough for me to ship over a transport load (650 bales). Price per bale depends on how far I have to go.
Email me at ravenhurst@bellnet.ca and we can discuss the necessities.

Lynn Ison
Breeding Stock
Username: Lynndi

Post Number: 582
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 05:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, I can't believe how much some of you are paying for hay!!! I bought 100 bales 6 weeks ago at 2.25 a bale off the field. Now with the drought we are having in NC, I haven't got a call from my 2 contacts to pick up anymore yet. I'm thinking it it is time to call and see when we can pick up another load to get us started into winter! Good luck everyone..

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 324
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 06:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if you can get it hurry and get it fast I was looking on a hay website I found and only a handful of the hay producing states have any. all our hay dang near was ruined by the rain almost everyone lost at least a cutting or more

Jenny P
Breeding Stock
Username: Varda

Post Number: 269
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 01:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are lucky to be finding it for even 10 a bale. They are speculating that roles will be going for 85 come winter here. I've got 200 bales that I've managed to get so far, and that won't be nearly enough. I'm on 12 waiting lists already and it doesn't look good.

Tracy Smith
Neonate
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 05:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I unfortunately am in the same price range as Robin and Laurie, average price per bale is $12.50 for grass or alfalfa. I live about 25 miles outside of Seattle. On average I pay about $260 a ton. I can get local hay for about $6 a bale but it's not very good quality and you end up feeding a lot more of it so in the long run it all evens out. I'm very jealous of all you guys paying less than me!!!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US