SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Halter-breaking / trailer loading

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Halter-breaking / trailer loading « Previous Next »

Rebecca Kate Smith
Weanling
Username: Iheartskeetles

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 09:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

any suggestions on halter breaking and when to do it. my foal was basically born with his halter on! he doesn't care about the halter and taking it on and off but i didn't know the best way to halter break him.

also, any ideas on how to train him to load into the trailer? i havent the slightest clue about how to do that one.

windy fillmore
Weanling
Username: Windyf

Post Number: 35
Posted on Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 06:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If his mother is an excellent loader load her up had he will follow make sure it isn't a high step for him. that is the easiest way to teach them to load however if mom doesn't load well I wouldn't go that route; you don't want her to teach him bad habits from the start. When you say halter break do you mean teaching him to lead? if so the easiest way is to teach him to give to pressure. Did you imprint train him? If so remember that one tiny step in the direction you want is perfect and stop right there give him a break and a pat and then do it agian he will get the Idea after he gives you one step out of 10 then ask for two and so on and so on.. that's the way we do it. Good luck.

Lisa Weir
Breeding Stock
Username: Pals_pal

Post Number: 158
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 09:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know there are a million ways to teach a horse to load, but by far the best way I've found is to back the trailer up into a barn alleyway or the like and just ask nicely for him to come in. There is no way around and back should be uncomfortable....rump rope or the like...and everytime he takes a step closer, allow him to stop and tell him he's wonderful.When he goes in, make much of him with treats and love and ask him to go out slowly.
Repeat until he walks up confidently. It usually takes us no time at all doing it this way, but allow as long as it takes, coz you know how they are when you have a time limit!

Ashley Beavens
Neonate
Username: Bearcreekfarm

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 02:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think on teaching a young horse to load, you should just back your trailer into the pasture and leave it in there for a day(all doors closed) MAKE SURE YOUR TRAILER WILL NOT MOVE AT ALL. ileft mine hooked up to my truck.
Day2 open the back door(make sure the back door will not flop shut or flap in the wind.
Day3 move the young horses food/water to the trailer door
Day4 put the food/water inside the trailer, but close enough for him to reach without walking in
Day5 put the food/water all the way in the front of the trailer so that he has to walk inside to reseave his food/water
Day6 you decide to leave food in thier for another day or to take the food out and have his treat time(groom him in the trailer too) in side the trailer
Yes this does take a few days, but I have no problems at all loading my horses into the trailer. I just walk them to the door and throw the lead rope over their shoulders and they walk right in to thier spots! I love loading, it is so easy ;)

Lisa Weir
Breeding Stock
Username: Pals_pal

Post Number: 168
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 08:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ashley,
Don't the horses eat the paint off your trailer and truck? Other than that, it sounds like a very stress free way of doing it.

Ashley Beavens
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 09:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My horses never nibbled the paint of my trailer, they only liked the bumper of my truck to rub on every now and then.
I guess if you have a horse that loves to nibble on things, this would not work that well. It is worth a try though!

Laura
Weanling
Username: Horssports

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 11:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All good suggestions on here so far. The thing for me is if the horse learns to lead well, the trailer issue will go much easier. If the horse isn't halter broke yet.. get the horse confidently leading first.

best of luck!

Rebecca Kate Smith
Weanling
Username: Iheartskeetles

Post Number: 44
Posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 10:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well, he leads great....loading, not so much. the very first time i trailered him and mom, he hopped right in (3 times total of loading that night) then the next time i loaded him, i did everything exactly the same and he refused to load! REFUSED! reared up, fell over, basically freaked out, meanwhile mom is in trailer screaming for him and also freaking out cause he wouldn't get in. finaly forced him in with help. 3rd + 4th time, same deal. WOULD NOT load at all. had to force him in the trailer. i've tried food, i've tried coaxing, nothing. he refuses to get in the trailer whether mom is in there or not. i'm at a loss for what to do.

Kim Winter
Breeding Stock
Username: Clafairy

Post Number: 434
Posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 02:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rebecca - got a handfull there huh? Im afraid I cant help but its good to hear that you have made progress with your little baby since I last read a post - HE leads well! Hope you have the trailer problem fixed soon. Best of luck!

Heather Kutyba
Breeding Stock
Username: Heatherck11

Post Number: 225
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 12:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rebecca...
The most important thing is to take your time. Start working with him when time isn't an issue, and he doesn't HAVE to get in.
How big is your trailer? Can you open multiple dividers so it is open and inviting?
Lead him up to it...allow him to poke around...sprinkly feed on the floor or put alfalfa near the doorway so he just gets close to it (reward, reward, reward, etc).
Is he independent or does he scream for momma when seperated? I remember that you had been riding your mare, so that is probably in your benefit as he is most likely more accepting of being away from her (or maybe not!).
Make being NEAR the trailer a positive experience for him, but don't push the issue of him getting into right off.....just let him "hang out" around it. Get him to where he's standing at the trailer with out pitching a fit.
A thought....sometimes...it is a lot harder to deal with these weanlings while they are with the mares. The foals are upset...the mares are hollering and so on. Once he's weaned, he may be much easier to work with on the loading.

BTW...good to hear from you!! Post some pics so we can see how your handsome boy looks these days! I bet he's got a great lope on him :-).

Ashley Beavens
Weanling

Post Number: 31
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 09:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For babys to get acompanied to the trailer, start your day by using your trailer as a hitching post. ... ... tie your mare up by the trailer and bring your baby by the trailer side, if you can tie your baby then tie your baby. Brush both horses and saddle up mom and take both for a ride. Just use your trailer as a hitching post! I did this for 2-3 days with my baby, to let her smell all the smells of a trailer.
Then I started to tie mom on the inside and the baby on the outside by the doorway.. .. I did this for a couple of days and then I tied mom on the inside one day and baby ended up following mom right in and ever since then she loads just fine. My baby (6 months old) now loads first everytime with no fuss!! She will even trailer alone too and she is never afraid to go in!
A good experience on first time loading really works good!!

Kim k
Breeding Stock
Username: Kimk

Post Number: 683
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 10:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What type of trailer are you using ? Enclosed trailers are sometimes scary for a animal as it looks like a black hole. They are afraid of falling(just like puddles--no end in sight). Noise can be a issue as well, loud banging sounds like the hoof hitting the floor, make it cushy with rubber mats or good bedding. Just some ideas. Some also put the trailer into a turn out with the horse. Put its feed near it, then day by day move it farther and farther into the trailer, put thier hay in it to eat.

Good luck, a good first impression is a lasting one.
Kim

Ashley Beavens
Weanling

Post Number: 33
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 10:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always start out with a livestock trailer and I always have straw layed down for the "noise" issue. Kim, you are right about the "Black Hole" and thats why I like to use a livestock trailer for they have the open sides. When the filly gets use to that then I use the regular horse trailer (enclosed) and I still use the straw bedding and eventually take out all the straw and just have rubber mats.

Kim k
Breeding Stock
Username: Kimk

Post Number: 684
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 08:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ashley,
We only use a open sided stock trailer or open sided horse trailer. We special order our trailer when we buy them. We also order a extra tall trailer--not normal heigth for a horse trailer. We have several breeders in our area that used to only use a enclosed horse trailer while trailering. They would always have to call us when then had a problem youngster. We would make the trip a good experience and then normally thay would be ok from there on out. These few folks now only own a open stock trailer or open horse trailer. :-) We not only raise horse but other livestock. Horse people can learn alot from other livestock people--sometimes horse people have a one track mind !! LOL :-)

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US