Post Number: 40
|Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2011 - 11:25 pm: ||
This is not strictly a reproduction question, so if you want to delete it Jos, I understand. I would just really like to get some ideas about this and I know there are knowledgable people here - I trust this forum more than any other on the web.
Yesterday my stallion had swellings in the hollows above his eyes. Soft warm and fluidy. He galloped around as normal, tucked into his dinner and seemed perfectly well. His temp was 37 (degrees celsius) which is a bit up for him but not high. His pulse was very strong and fast, breathing up (could have been from the run around) I rugged him and decided to check him in the morning, the swelling is gone now, but its 'flat' rather than hollow.
He is not overweight. He is a nice even pasture condition, eats a biscuit of medium to prime lucerene morning and night. Every second day he gets half a kilo of mitavite breeda, 300g of D&G stud mix with a scoop of oaten and a scoop of green chaff damped down with molasses water. We have very little pick in the pasture as we have a fireweed problem right now, but I cant hit the fireweed until summer when it dies off, if we attack it now it will only seed to greater problems next year. I have believed for a long time that they dont eat it, but he is the most adventurous and might pick around it which the other horses dont.
I dont believe it is cushings - he will be six in January and he just lost his winter coat, he's sleek as can be.
He suffered a bad head injury a few years ago when a mare down the street escaped and tried to get up to him. I didnt see it but the vet and I both agreed it looked like he had somersaulted and landed on his head. The swelling was very bad especially down the right side of his face, he was almost unrecognizable and had a bleeding nose for a few days.
He has a slight runny nose and Im thinking it could be congestion causing the swelling. It may have happened before this - I was in hospital for a few months when my daughter was born so I may not have seen it.
Im watching him carefully and will check him over and retake his temp this afternoon. My reluctance to call the vet is only because I have a cat in hospital right now and no money coming in for the rest of the month. If anything changes I have no problem calling the vet, but he seems fine now and Id feel ridiculous if it was nothing.