SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Weaning Problems

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Weaning Problems « Previous Next »

Jess (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 4.228.186.241
Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 01:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a weanling colt that I just put back in with his mother. They were seperated for 6 weeks and she appeared to be completely dried up so I put them back together. At first everything seemed fine but the next morning when we looked out the window he was nursing. If my mare was not completely dried up will she start producing milk again with him nursing?}}

Kim k
Breeding Stock
Username: Kimk

Post Number: 212
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 08:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

very well could. Each mare is different, it has been known to happen. Some mares have the instinct and desire to nurse that they will begin to produce milk if there is a need for it. There are also mares that have produced enough babies that sortta never stop producing milk. I have a friend that had a paint mare... she was close to fourty when she died, but always produced and would care for any foal that wanted it or needed it.

Kim v.
Breeding Stock
Username: Twhgait

Post Number: 110
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 12:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I have the same thing going on here except I left weanling with his grandma.....and guess what? He's nursing his grandma and she's letting him. She's staying dry but she's an old time broodmare so Lord only knows. I brought mom back because I figured, well, what difference does it make?? But mom is dry and won't allow him to nurse at all so he sticks with Grandma!! My vet warns me that she may start producing milk if she's stimulated enough. . I should mention the little creep is 8 months old! He REALLY should be over this!!

Kassie Finley
Weanling
Username: Jkqh

Post Number: 37
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 01:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had that same problem, we took the colt to another farm and kept him there for about 6 weeks, then when he returned she started nursing again. So we took him and put him in our backyard to keep him away from her. He was only back there 1 week and we let him out again and he never tried to nurse again. Maybe if you seperate your colt one more time that will do the trick.

Ashley Beavens
Weanling
Username: Bearcreekfarm

Post Number: 36
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 11:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My foal is 7 months old. My mare is in a seperate pen and we are trying to wean the little fart but my filly keeps nursing threw the fence and mom sometimes lets her and sometimes doesn't. I have no other pens to seperate them farther. I even tried putting up the orange plastic wind breaks along the fence so that she can't stick her nose threw but my other mare that she is with tears them down.
Will my mare ever dry up slowly, I know no one really knows but her bag has gotten alot smaller, could there be a possible way? Or any other ideas on how I could wean easier. Right now, I can't really send her anywhere because no one has extra room for the winter.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1087
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 12:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the foal is indeed nursing, the mare is unlikely to dry up as the nursing stimulates milk production. If the foal stops nursing or the mare decides that he should stop, then she will dry up. Some mares however don't show good judgement in these matters...

Ruth
Weanling
Username: Rooty

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 05:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, we have had a mare that would nurse all and sundry. One boarder's mare was losing a lot of weight, well I look out one day to see that not only was she nursing her own foal but another mare's YEARLING as well, yearling had been weaned 6 months already...

Kim Winter
Breeding Stock
Username: Clafairy

Post Number: 550
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 07:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My filly is also 7 months and is still nursing, The mare is 20yo and Usually suffers a bit of weight loss in the winter but as yet has held her weight very well considering they are only on grass and hay and she stands for the foal to nurse still. If you have electris tape fensing could you erect it so that there is a metre or so gap between the paddocks?? That way they are as they are now but the foal cannot stretch through far enough to nurse from her dam?

Ashley Beavens
Weanling
Username: Bearcreekfarm

Post Number: 37
Posted on Monday, December 18, 2006 - 12:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to try to put up something like that.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US