SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

National Animal Identification System

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » National Animal Identification System « Previous Next »

Deena
Breeding Stock
Username: Morganslil1

Post Number: 199
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 09:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

National Animal Identification System

How and in what ways will this affect breeding opperations?

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10403
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 10:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In our opinion it has the potential to be very beneficial!
  • It will enable the ability to track horses in performance even when the animal has been sold and its name changed (a very common problem in performance sport horse circles where a Registration is not required);
  • It will allow development of performance data statistics (similar to what is seen in the WBFSH for sport horses), thereby enabling top producing sire and dam lines to be accurately identified;
  • It will allow closer tracking of animals with an undesirable genetic condition, allowing better management of these problems at a Registry level.
All beneficial!

Kim k
Breeding Stock
Username: Kimk

Post Number: 203
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 12:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't see it affecting the horse industry in any major factor at this point in time. AT this point in time most (if not all)states have some sort of control for the most common problem in the equine which is coggins... and this is so out dated as the disease is much under control but needs to stay monotored so it does not become a outbreak. The main purpose of the NAIS is to be able to track and locate animals that have or have been exposed to diseases within a 48 hour time span. To locate the location in which a animal came from to be able to find sires and dams and any offspring easily to radicate disease such in the mad cow .... if a cow comes up with it they can then take that identification number and find the farm in which it came from and dispose of its cow or its offspring because of how the disease is spread. We raise goats, and goats can have a disease similar to the cow disease--We have to have our herd registered in the state and our goats have to have tags in their ears so that a vet can identify them when papers are turned into the state for health papers. If we were to sell a doe and it should come up with scrapies then the state can locate the herd in which it came from and then we would have to deal with radifications of the disease. Now Scrapies is not super common but it is around and if we didn't do any showing or breeding or participate in the local 4-H club then you could get by without registering the herd, but once a vet has to write health papers for traveling then its a whole different ball game.
There is different set of laws for each state and currently Indiana(the state in which I'm in) does not require that equine be registered. A big issue are the animals that are bred and sold for meat for human consumption. At this point in time it appears that under this identification system, in the states, that equine are not required to register-it is volentary to do so, Equine (horses, asses, and donkeys).
Camelidae (camels, llamas, and alpacas).
Ostriches, rhea, and emus. appear to be exempt from requirements at this point in time. I don't see how this will do anything for undesirable genetic conditions execpt for disease as this is what the goverment is after, they will not store performance data , this idendification system from what I have read at the web site is only for disease control. I have posted the link to the web site.

http://animalid.aphis.usda.gov/nais/subjects/animal_id/index.shtml

this is quoted from the web site "Eventually, the NAIS will allow animal health officials to identify all animals and premises that have had contact with a foreign or domestic animal disease of concern within 48 hours after discovery. As an information system that provides for rapid tracing of infected and exposed animals during an outbreak situation, the NAIS will help limit the scope of such outbreaks and ensure that they are contained and eradicated as quickly as possible.

But the goverment can change its mind ... you know they can be wishy washy !!

Anyone that has a goat, cattle, poultry herd will need to get registered and if you are a Indiana resident that has a id number with the state you should receive a letter in the coming months (this is according to the Indiana web site). For Indiana,Beginning September 1 , 2006, premise registration will be required for each person that buys, sells, or exhibits livestock, with its execptions as listed above.

Lots of info at the web site with links to each states requirements.
Kim

Kim k
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 382
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 01:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, we got our notification from the state last week. It is stating that we have to register our premise and list all animals keep on the farm.

Lori
Nursing Foal
Username: Lori

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 07:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kim are you KIDDING??? what state are you in and what happened? I mean, are you just horses, or are you cattle? Chickens? Those are what I thought were the HOT to be registered animals...
Lori

Kim k
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 388
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 07:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WE are in Indiana.
Horses are our main thing.... we do have chicken, goats and a few angus steers every once in a while.
Our goats have been registered with the state for their id numbers. Goats have had to have a id number to have health papers written up by a vet. The goats have been shown in 4 h. The letter states that this is a premis id and we need to list everything on the farm, It appears as if the individual id are a must for the goats, bovine,and chicken ?? I still have some questions about it because the state website does not say the same as the letter.
Kim

Heather Kutyba
Yearling
Username: Heatherck11

Post Number: 71
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 11:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heya,
My work got the same information/notice that you're speaking of. We get all animal related bulletins that come out. It is being inacted here in TX as well.

Gisela Swift
Neonate
Username: Gisela

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 11:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please go to http://www.downsizedc.org/index.shtml click on the cow and

register your support for Ron Paul's amendment to the Agriculture Bill HR

5384 that would stop federal funding for the USDA's National Animal

Identification System. This is a first step in getting it stopped entirely,

or at least making it purely voluntary.

Down Size DC's program can get your letters to the correct congressmen in

your jurisdiction.

Thanks to those who have called their Congressmen this week to
support Congressman Ron Paul's amendment! We have heard that many
Congressmen are sitting up and taking notice of this issue.

The vote on Ron Paul's amendment to the Agriculture Appropriation
Bill (H.R.5384) was delayed. It is now scheduled for Monday or
Tuesday, May 22 or 23. Whatever the outcome of the vote, FARFA will
report back so that you know where your Congressman stands on this
issue.

Please continue to contact your representatives and urge them to
support the Paul Amendment, and block all funding for the National
Animal Identification System. And please continue to spread the
word to everyone you know.

Here, again, are some of the reasons you may wish to use:

1. NAIS will be too costly and burdensome for farmers and ranchers.

2. NAIS invades the privacy of every American who owns even one
livestock animal, whether a horse, pet pot-bellied pig, chicken,
cow, goat, sheep, etc.

3. NAIS will not protect us against disease or bioterrorism because
(a) it does not address the causes of disease; (b) it does not
address how diseases are transmitted; (c) we already have sufficient
means of tracking diseases and controlling outbreaks; and (d) the
recommended technology (ISO radiotags) can be easily reprogrammed,
so that it is ineffective against intentional introductions of
disease.

4. NAIS will greatly expand the government bureaucracy, at the cost
of individuals' rights and the free market.

5. NAIS will raise the cost of food, while not providing any
additional food safety.

6. NAIS has been developed by the USDA without Congressional
hearings or debate, and without any real involvement of the tens of
thousands of individuals who will be affected.

The Capitol Switchboard number (202) 225-3121. If you don't know
who to call, go to http://www.congress.org/congressorg/home/ and
enter your zip code in the box on the left-hand side of the screen.
Your official's contact information will be provided.
For more information on NAIS and how you can help fight it, go to
www.farmandranchfreedom.org

If you have questions, please contact
judith@farmandranchfreedom.org

Judith McGeary
--
Farm and Ranch Freedom Alliance
www.farmandranchfreedom.org
Join our mailing list at www.farmandranchfreedom.org/list/?
p=subscribe
Donate online at www.farmandranchfreedom.org/join-online.html

SPONSORED LINKS Farm animal Farm animal toy Organic farming
Worm farming

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

Visit your group "Texas_Citizens_Against_NAIS" on the web.

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Texas_Citizens_Against_NAIS-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.1.392 / Virus Database: 268.6.1/344 - Release Date: 5/19/2006

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 10673
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 01:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As an addition to the beneficial points I made above, and as a counterpoint to the previous poster, I will add more advantages to the registration of the animals.

Contemplate for a moment the effects on animals of two recent natural disasters:

• The Hurricane:
    • As we know only too well from Katrina, there were - still are - horses that were lost and have still not been reunited with their owners. A national identification scheme would allow easy identification of those animals and reuniting
  • A major disease outbreak:
    • The foot-and-mouth outbreak in the UK very clearly demonstrated the significance of being able to track animal movements in the reduction of spreading of disease, and establishing the points of origin and outbreak. Again a national animal identification scheme will assist in this situation were it to occur. Many years ago a crusty old Federal Vet. said to me "There's nothing like a bl**** good outbreak to smarten people up to the dangers". :-)
As you can see, there is another - very important side - to this animal registration scheme, and following the suggestions of an obviously planned campaign against it without thought to the fullest may not be in the best interests of your animals.

Magic1
Nursing Foal
Username: Magic1

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 02:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My main concern with the enactment of this bill is that it will cause another financial concern for small breeders and horse owners. We already pay to have our horses registered, DNA'd and some bloodtyped. If you have one or two horses it is not that big of a deal, but if you have 8 to 10, it adds up to more costs.
Anyone on this board knows the costs of caring for horses. Hay, grain, bedding, pasture maintenance, vaccines, worming, health care supplements and farrier care. There are some people that will have to cut back on one thing to pay for another expense. Just when we think we have it figured out, along comes West Nile at $40 a pop for vaccine per horse and then the cost of wormers goes down, but tapeworms are discovered, so we are worming for that too. And, there is always the unexpected veterinarian call.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 10674
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 03:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My main concern with the enactment of this bill is that it will cause another financial concern for small breeders and horse owners.

Well, the above amendment that people are being encourage to support won't help! Viz:

"register your support for Ron Paul's amendment to the Agriculture Bill HR 5384 that would stop federal funding for the USDA's national Animal Identification System" - or to put it another way, let's put more pressure on the individual owner to finance the whole thing!

I'd also ask you to contemplate this: WNV came along and we vaccinate our horses. Tapeworms come along and we rotate deworming with Pyrantel pamoate (well, actually, no extra expense there, but never mind), and along comes an Anthrax outbreak, and despite the fact that with the NAIS we have a way of tracking if an animal has been in contact with infected animal we aren't willing to use it because it costs a little more? Heck - I would like to know if animals coming into my barn have been in a contaminated area for sure!

From the health aspect, I regard this scheme as being proactive, rather than reactive - a bit like using WNV vaccine before the horse is bitten by the mosquito... :-)

Kim k
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 617
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 04:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I see more and more legilslation and more goverment mandates, the more problems I see. We will get to some point that you will have to report when we deficate. :-(--- ok, that might be a extreme but the goverment will someday be ran worse than the countrys that we are are war with right now. I agree that things such as mad cow have to be reported, and we have people that are not honest-but we do not want to live in a society that the goverment dictating more and more of what we can and can't do. It will drastically affect the cost of things, will it make life safer ??? Another safty issue, we buy our grain at a local mill. Our grain is our mix of ingredients that is bought from the mill. They will not allow them to bag the feed which is about 1300 lbs = to about 26 bags of grain. they are not allowed to bag the feed in our bags that have been used for the "molassas, or rolled oats, or any other thing that we buy from there. They have to use "new" unused bags or they will get fined a major fee if caught by a federal inspector. My last batch of grain they had to bag in new bags which cost me ten bucks to do so. If I am present they will continue to try to reuse these resuable grain sacks(that I continue to return) until told otherwise. Its a bio terror issue they have been told. ?What it is in my own feed bags that I have bought the feed in to put into my feed mix.

Goverment control yourself. Some day the goverment will control us more than you would want. Now we have a military man that will be in charge of the CIA . What about a lay person and not military. What about the thoughts that the goverment set this 911 thing up in order to go after Sadham/binladin ?? Whoa! Give it some thoughts.

Magic1
Nursing Foal
Username: Magic1

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 02:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How often do you have horses coming on your place that you have no idea where they came from or who owns them? Not to often I would think.

This is just another unenforceable law and we have enough of those already. How many people will it take to check up on all the livestock to make sure this law is being enforced? Will it end up like the seatbelt law?

I don't know about any one else, but I am up to my neck in paperwork as it is, plus all the outside work I have to do and for some reason, my family still expects me to clean and cook.

I am sick of the government being involved in every facet of my life. Now I have to prove citizenship to get a drivers license or any other kind of license. Why is it that the good people always have to pay because of the bad people? I just think it is unnecesary.

Oh, I forgot in my first message, also coggins tests and health certificates to go 30 miles across a state line.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 10680
Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 03:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How often do you have horses coming on your place that you have no idea where they came from or who owns them?

Horse shows, sales, boarding stables... and I know this is hard to believe, but people even have been known to lie when they know a horse has been in a barn with a disease in it and they want to move it out of there to somewhere else safer...

As far as unenforceable - it is like brand control. If you live in a brand control area of the country, you try and take an animal out of (or into) the brand control area and see what happens!

Oh - and if you go into some States and are not wearing a seatbelt, you will get pulled over... Other States consider stopping someone for not wearing a seatbelt an "infringement on their rights" and don't stop vehicles for that - but IMO it's not as much of an infringement as the infringement the windshield makes on your head in an accident when you're not wearing one! And let's take that a step further - who is going to pay the medical bills for those people not wearing a seatbelt who have the accident and don't have insurance? It all boils down to responsibility.

And for Coggins and health certificates to cross a State line? Well - as the old vet said to me... (see above). If you have an outbreak of something infectious in a neighbouring State, are you going to happily welcome everyone into your farm/ranch? Or even if your neighbour has them visit and you share a common fenceline. Or a boarding stable. And without the health papers, you may not know that there is a problem with the horse...

These rules are not put into place to annoy people (whether they do or not) but to protect people.

If someone doesn't like the rule, then they always have the right not to follow it, and face the consequences. For example, you take a horse across a State line without a health paper or neg. Coggins, and it turns out that the animal is a positive reactor for EIA. Who is responsible? The US is a highly litigious country, and there are always options to not getting the Coggins, but they aren't going to be pretty when another horse becomes infected - quite apart from the welfare of the animals concerned...

Kim k
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 628
Posted on Monday, May 29, 2006 - 01:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Farmer's Exchange for northern Indiana and southern Michigan published a article "lawmakers Press USDA on Animal ID". I tried to find it online and the article is not on the internet yet. :-( But it is interesting that it post a comment Lawmakers are threatening to cut off funding for the national animal id system. That they want a formal plan for the id program and a time table for public comment and input. ??

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US