SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Which disposable shipping container is best?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Which disposable shipping container is best? « Previous Next »

hedgerow pony farm
Breeding Stock
Username: Lotsofponies

Post Number: 142
Posted on Sunday, January 23, 2011 - 02:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, I know Equitainers are best and yes I have a few, would like to have 10-12 of them but can't afford them anytime in the near future. I have been looking at the disposable shippers and was wondering which on is the best? I have a few Equine Express II which has worked well for people coming to the farm to get the shipments but have not had to use them to ship Fedx overnight yet.

Versashipper III $20-23 has the thermal shield
pouches
Clipper $26.50-30 has the foam block that the
syringe/tubes fit in.
Equine Express II $23-30 you can buy 2 Insulated Syringe Sleeves for $4.64

Have there been any studies comparing the
disposables with each other?
Does putting the syringes in the thermal shield
bag or the foam blocks or sleeves slow down the
cooling process and is that good or bad?
I have considered when shipping in the summer if I have to use a disposible shippers I would
double box them(with a big thermal shield bag
and styro-foam in between)???
I know they should only be used 4-5 time and inspected before each use.

Please share your wisdom?

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3104
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2011 - 08:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to preface this post with the fact that we did not evaluate the Versashipper III as it was not available at the time we did the research I am about to reference.

Some years ago, we evaluated just about all of the disposable shippers that were available on the market at the time. We looked at cooling curve, how low the internal temperature got, and how well it maintained the internal temperature in the face of ambient thermal challenges (hot and cold) and for how long. Let's just say that all disposable shippers are not made equal and leave it at that...!!

The two disposable shippers that we found worked the best were the Equine Express II (Exodus Breeders Supply) and The Clipper (Hamilton Research Inc.), although neither performed as well in significant ambient temperature trials as the Equitainer.

We often caution people about using the disposable shippers in the height of the breeding season in hot climates and get a response such as "oh, it's not hot where we live, so it's not a problem". Bear in mind that most FedEx shipments go through their hub in Memphis, and it's hot there in the summer!! And furthermore, the back of all courier vans gets hot at some point in the summer...

Now, some stallions have semen that you could ship in a cardboard box without any insulation and still have excellent quality when it gets where it's going, so you also have to figure in individual stallion effect and be prepared to make changes based upon that too.

Another thing to consider is that that these are disposable! They are not meant to be used multiple times and may be subject to damage during shipping - which may be microcracks invisible to the naked eye, which will allow ambient temperature to affect the contents even more as the insulation is damaged. Use once and discard! We have received semen from some very well known and respected Quarter Horse farms in Texas in beaten up and obviously re-used disposable shippers - even though the farms have a $350 collection fee and their own labs to do the collections. They may be respected by others, but they do not receive our respect as they are reproductively irresponsible and should be ashamed of themselves for being so money-grubbing at the cost of their mare-owning clients (this ticks me off a bit - can you tell??? :-)).

Also consider that every time a disposable container is disposed of, another piece of a landfill somewhere gets something put in it that will not break down for eons...

OK... I guess I answered your question based upon our past research and them some! I'll step off my soapbox now...

hedgerow pony farm
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 143
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2011 - 09:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about the foam block or foam insulation tubes that the syringes go in, I guessing it slow down the cooling process and thats good, right ?

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3105
Posted on Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 08:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As you say, the foam block slows down the cooling curve, which is important - again, more so with some stallions than others, but overall good.

hedgerow pony farm
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 144
Posted on Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 08:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jos

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US