SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

New Way to predict foal height!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » New Way to predict foal height! « Previous Next »

Tina
Yearling
Username: Hotti

Post Number: 71
Posted on Wednesday, January 05, 2011 - 02:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have just read a very accurate way to pipoint your foals height...DOES IT WORK FOR ALL OF YOU?

ok..so you take a measuring tape or peace of string (and measure later) and measure from the true centre of your horses knee in a direct line to the coronet band...for every inch is a hand!

I for one am very excited because a QHxTHB foal that was a twin in utero before we pinched one off measures at 16.1 inches easy (16.1hh)..the biggest foal this mare has ever had and is 5mths old at the moment.

The mare is only 15.1hh but was what the stud called a "RUNT" and was sold to me cheap as she was never going to make the expected height of 17hh like her father and mother. HAHA!

Mind you the Sire of this big foal is probably only 14.2hh.

Just wondering if this was working for everybody and if you found it accurate?

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bonny

Post Number: 2331
Posted on Wednesday, January 05, 2011 - 08:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did this with a pony, it measured 11 inches he turned out at 11.2 hh.

hedgerow pony farm
Breeding Stock
Username: Lotsofponies

Post Number: 134
Posted on Saturday, January 08, 2011 - 11:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Been doing it for years, I breed pony hunters where size matters. As for the most part if seemed to work some of the time. But when do you measure, what age? When has the leg stopped growing? You can measure the leg 5 times and get 5 different answers depending on the angle of the leg, where exactly at the coronet band and the center of the knee you measure. It is easy to vary 1/2" either way, 1/2" = 2" of predicted size. It is fun to do, it kind of gives you an idea but I would not bet the farm on the results. I have a paint/tb mare that should be 16.1 hands according to the measuring test, she is 15.1 on her tip toes. She has very long cannon bones and a short fore arm bone which is not uncommon in TBs while warmbloods are just opposite, short cannon bone.

Tina
Yearling

Post Number: 73
Posted on Sunday, January 09, 2011 - 08:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bend the leg first and find the soft center (right at the front of leg).
I also learnt that the foals length of knee to coronet is so close to 100% of its complets length at full growth (does that make sense) at birth that you can do it at any age!! although...I have done mine at 5-6mths.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 3716
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2011 - 11:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This doesn't work in minis, I can promise you that.

hedgerow pony farm
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 136
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2011 - 12:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I also learnt that the foals length of knee to coronet is so close to 100% of its complets length at full growth (does that make sense) at birth that you can do it at any age!!"

No, it doesn't make sense! I breed pony hunters and have 3-6 pony foals a year, knowing the mature size of a pony at an early age would make this business a lot easier and more profitable. I would be able to cull the bad size ponies out at an early age.

Five yrs ago 4 small pony breeding farms in my area decided we would measure our pony foals at 5-6 months, 17 foals were measured. The ponies were pure Section B Welsh foal, foals by Section A Welsh(stallion)out of TB mare, Section B Welsh(stallion)out of TB mare, Section B Welsh(stallion) out of QH mare, Section B Welsh(stallion) out of Paint/Tb mare, Section B Welsh(stallion) out of Arab mare and Section B Welsh out of a 1/2 welsh/paint mare. We found that 2 went over, the pure welsh, and the foal by Section B Welsh(stallion) out of QH mare, one was pretty close (1/2" under)he was by Section B Welsh stallion out of a 1/2 welsh/paint mare, the other 14 ended up smaller than measured, between 1" - 4" smaller.

So we decided, for us it was not a helpful tool, we do it every now then for fun.

Didn't AQHA about 15 yrs running a study with their members testing this exact measurement test? Never heard or found any results.

(Message edited by lotsofponies on January 10, 2011)

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3717
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2011 - 05:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hedgerow, still using that lesson in assertiveness, i see....ROFL

hedgerow pony farm
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 137
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2011 - 08:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just every now and then. I love it when an old method gets recycled as new.

Tina
Yearling

Post Number: 74
Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2011 - 07:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just wondered .

hedgerow pony farm
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 139
Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2011 - 02:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tina, I was excited when I heard about it, thought it was a new crystal ball. I even made a little measuring stick so it was quick,easy and accurate to measure the babies. It was a tiny 12" adjustable curtain rod, the kind that one end slides inside the other, I marked the part that went inside every 1/4" starting at 12" all the way up to 16" so when you pulled it out you could read how long it was. Thought I was a genius, was even thinking of marketing my tiny measuring stick.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3720
Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2011 - 07:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hahahah! poor hedgerow......:-(

Tina
Yearling

Post Number: 75
Posted on Friday, January 14, 2011 - 04:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two of the broodmares in my paddock are considered "Runts"...(although they have beautiful breeding)both are from tallish parents (15.2hh) and they are 15hh and the other is 14.1hh. The foals from the 15hh mare so far have all gone just over 15hh, But the other is a maiden and due soon. The first mare had a huge foal this year and we were totally shocked as he entered the world all LEGS, he was already over half his mothers height!He is the youngest of All the foals here but by far the tallest by about 4inches, Later found out that his grandsire was over 17hh. So I used this method as a guide only even though we know he may be a big fellow. Hedgerow what a clever idea. As we dont normally keep our young stock they are all sold prior to yearlings so far..I may never see how high they actually grow!!!

hedgerow pony farm
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 140
Posted on Friday, January 14, 2011 - 12:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What will be..will be!!" that's so true, feed them good and hope for the best.
Here do you live in Australia, been watching the flooding on the news, so sad.

Tina
Yearling

Post Number: 76
Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2011 - 04:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

in Kojonup WA. We have the opposite problem here very dry. It is very sad indeed.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US