SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

3 month old mini filly COLIC

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » 3 month old mini filly COLIC « Previous Next »

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 3554
Posted on Monday, August 16, 2010 - 10:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, in the grand tradition that is my foaling season this year, the 3 month old TINY filly (who is still only 18.5 inches tall and 35 lbs) is colicking on me. We went to the vet last night, and she pooped on the way there....they checked her fluids, said she appeared hydrated, and that she probably had a small colon impaction. They gave her an enema (no other meds), she pooped immediately, and they thought she'd be fine.
Tonight, I bring her in...she's rolling all over the place and MARKEDLY more uncomfy than last night. I have done the enema thing, and "normal" poop came out. I forced some water and oil in her, and walked her a bit, then gave her 3/10 cc of banamine. At her size, she's almost impossible to treat with my scope of knowledge and supplies...and her new owner cannot afford to have her hospitalized...I am STRESSED. Anybody dealt with such a HUGE colic in such a tiny horse??

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2989
Posted on Monday, August 16, 2010 - 11:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While your concern about colic is important, also consider the possibility of ulcers, which can manifest in some ways not dissimilarly from colic - period bouts of rolling and lying on their back. It might also be a combination of both. Might not hurt to have her checked...

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3555
Posted on Monday, August 16, 2010 - 11:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jos, do you think trying some pepto on her would hurt? Or a zantac? I had a stallion who had ulcers, and was on ulcer meds, and I"m sure it was weight based....I have some left over in pill form, but don't know how/whether to try it on her...all her blood came back last night normal....of course, i have no idea what they were looking for, 3 different levels that apparantly tell something LOL
PCV 29
TP: 5.8
Fib 200
Does this mean anything to you? They never mentioned a possibility of ulcers, and i didnt' think of it.. will a zantac be ok for her?
Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3558
Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2010 - 10:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, after 6 hrs or rolling and thrashing, and walking, and not being able to keep this filly on her feet, I took her back to Equine Medical. She stood there from 1 in the morning till now without one sign of colic.....*sigh*. I am at my wits end. What can possibly be going on that she can turn it off and on. Seriously, she was very painful 2 days ago, I put her int he car to go to the vet, she pooped on the way, then passed more after an enema, and then was fine. Yesterday, she seemed fine during the day, and started all the same nonsense rolling and thrashing at feeding time. I worked with her 6 hrs before deciding to go on to the vets, and she did NOTHING all night. They're going to try to scope her this morning to check for ulcers....i just have no idea what to expect.

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bonny

Post Number: 2204
Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2010 - 10:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh my gosh D. I am so sorry your going through this. I assume this is Bella?
I used Zantac to prevent ulcers in Brock when I took him off his Mother, but as far as treating for I have no idea. I gave him one pill a day then worked down to every other day and so on. I also gave probios to help with the beni bac.
I wonder if something about the trailer ride to the vet is moving her system? Making her fine when you get there?
I hope whatever it is you find it soon!

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 2742
Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2010 - 11:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana...I am so sorry too that you are going through this! Prayers that they figure out what it is so you can get her settled into her new home.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3561
Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2010 - 11:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, they scoped her for ulcers and said "NOPE"....while they had her out, they xrayed her belly and said she's full of fecal matter. She must be REALLY stopped up, as she hasn't had any solid food in 2 days now. They went ahead and oiled her, and all I can do now is wait and watch. They said my only other option is to open her belly up and find the problem, which is WAY out of the range of my buyers (and my) pocketbook.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 2743
Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2010 - 01:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's hope that the oil does the trick. It is good that she is passing something so it is not totally blocked...so the oil should do the deed.

Cheryl Mondry
Weanling
Username: Cmondry

Post Number: 43
Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2010 - 02:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow - I am so sorry to hear about your baby. Colic is so hard on large breed horses I can't even image what you are going thru with a mini. I hope everything turns out ok for you both.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2990
Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2010 - 02:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry not to have responded sooner - have not been at my computer.

Academic now, but I would probably have got some Ulcer Guard if it had been ulcers. I have seen horses with ulcers go literally overnight from not eating to having a great appetite when using that product - it's not cheap for a big horse though!

Fingers crossed for you.

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2205
Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2010 - 02:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh wow, lets hope she the oil gets her moving. Poor Bella.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3563
Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2010 - 03:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just paid $617 for poop! Wahoo! Her entire legs, tail and butt is covered in ewy gooey oil, but at least she's pooping. Hopefully she'll get over it, and we can move on. Thanks for all your well wishes.
Jos, I appreciate your input very much!

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2206
Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2010 - 04:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh good news D!!!! Poop is a good thing!

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3564
Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2010 - 04:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mistake, she is covered in oil....but there is no poo with it.....why?? Is it possible the oil moves thru, and the poo doesn't?? Is this horrible?????

Cheryl Mondry
Weanling

Post Number: 45
Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2010 - 04:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Make sure that you wash that oil off right away - it will take off all of her hair and burn her skin. Not sure why no poop though - usually comes out with the oil. Hang in there.

Pam Romjue
Breeding Stock
Username: Pammysue

Post Number: 108
Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2010 - 05:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Praying everything turns out ok for you and your little filly!!!! I don't have any advice, but I am thinking of you! Thanks for keeping us updated!!!!!

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 1379
Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2010 - 01:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana, I've been following this with some degree of worry, but knew you would do everything you could for her. Sounds like she is doing well now. But what a lot of time, effort, money and so on, without an answer. She sounds so little too! I could just see you holding her in a baby blanket on the way to the vet.

I hope there are no more episodes.

Now, I must add a little humor. You took her in your "car" to the vet? Do you make her wear disposable diapers?

So does this mean in cold weather you can bathe them in your bath tub?

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3566
Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2010 - 07:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BWA HAHA!! I have a dog kennel, I put it in the back of my Buick Enclave, and she gets right in it. It's much easier than hooking up the trailer! I have never thought of bathing one in my bathtub...though I guess If I ever had a foal in cold weather who needed a bath, now I have an idea for what to do !! hahahaahaha!

By the way, when I got to the vets to pick her up, I was bombarded with compliments on her....it made me SO proud of this breeding, and my choice to repeat it. The receptionist, all 3 surgeons, and even other horse owners at the clinic thought she was very nicely built. I remember asking for opinions on her on this site...and the vets just confirmed what everybody else had said....they all agreed that they have never seen a mini of any size as well proportioned and built as her. I was grinning ear to ear.

Pam Romjue
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 111
Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2010 - 03:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is wonderful!!! It is always so nice to get conformation on a well done pairing!

How is she today?

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3567
Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2010 - 04:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was a little worried, b/c she's done nothing but lay down since I brought her home yesterday. But today she is up and at 'em....gave her a tiny amount of senior food in hopes of seeing poo. She did have a small pile, so maybe we're back in the race....i surely hope so!

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3568
Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2010 - 08:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...And now my buyer has backed out of the sale of this cute cute little filly....her loss!

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3569
Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2010 - 10:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, we're at it again......rolling and thrashing about. Her cap refil is still good, and her gums look good. Gave her another enema, and banamine.....pray for us...i don't see this turning out well at all....*sigh*

terry waechter
Weanling
Username: Watchman_2

Post Number: 32
Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2010 - 11:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh Diana...keep the faith...hopefully she will turn the corner and it will just be a mystery why it ever happened.....

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3571
Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 01:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks terry, i hope so!!

OK, let's play the "hypothetical game!!"
sounds fun, huh??

Let's just say that you have a horse for sale. Someone buys your horse, signs a contract on it, and is waiting for it to be weaned and delivered. The horse then gets sick........
1) who (in your opinion) is responsible for the vet bill? How is this stated in your contract?

Now, lets assume that you have taken all responsibility for the vet bill (as the seller) and the buyer then says, "you know what, i don't think i want this horse after all.....but i do want my money back."

2)What's your policy on this? Do you refund the money? Or say, "you voided the contract....your loss"

Now, let's go even further to say that the buyer then...and only after seller agreed to pay for the vet bills......then the buyer says, "oh, well maybe i DO want her"

3) (i know...this is getting funnier and funnier, eh?) Would you ever.....EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER....sell that person your horse? (again)

4) why are people crazy???? The more i know people the more i LOVE my horses...
Thanks for any input

Beth Walker
Breeding Stock
Username: Bbhorses

Post Number: 140
Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 01:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to hear about your filly, I hope she pulls out of this okay, she is so adorable.

"MY" bill of sale contract states that if only a Down-Payment was made and the horse is still in my possesion the vet bills are my responsibility and they can only get a refund if the horse becomes unhealthy or unsound for riding or breeding.

If they have paid the entire sum for the horse all bills are responsibility of the buyer and they assume ALL risk of loss of the horse. NO REFUND!!

As far as re-selling to these buyers I suppose I would only under the circumstance that they reimburse you the vet bill and sign another contract stating that they are aware of her current condition so if it happens after she is in their possesion they can not come back and say they did not know about it. You can NOT trust anyone!!! Although I would also be concerned that if she should colic after they take her home, would she receive the proper vet care since they can not afford it now!! I guess you would just need to go with your gut feeling on that one!!

(Message edited by bbhorses on August 19, 2010)

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3572
Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 08:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Beth, your opinion means alot to me. I just wanted to be sure I was on the same page as everyone else.....maybe that's the 'real' problem i am having...the fact that she changed her mind after I paid the vet bill and said, "I really do want her again". I don't want to send my horse somewhere they'd sooner put a bullet in her head than pay for vet care. I usually only issue a refund if the foal dies in my possession, and they never get to take possession.

I just am writhing about this entire mess...and still don't even know if she'll pull thru it. The banamine seemed to work last night, and she stopped rolling around pretty quickly. Hopefully it's just a fecolith that can pass, and is just going slowly.

Beth Walker
Breeding Stock
Username: Bbhorses

Post Number: 141
Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 11:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would be very reluctant to go forward with the sale since they only decided they wanted her again AFTER you paid the vet bill.I would definately be afraid that if this happened under their care they would have went the cheap way out and put her down instead of trying to save her.

Happy to hear the Banamine work so quick for her, hopefully that means she is working it thru. I know we have a 42" pony stallion and every spring when the grass is rich he will get impacted and we have to oil him for a whole week to get him thru it. He does it every year but we know what to watch for and can catch it before it gets very far. Good luck with her, hope she get thru this soon!

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3573
Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 01:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, i decided fairly quickly that she wasn't going to be sold to the same buyer twice! And instead, I found her a nice home at a miniature horse rescue. Not as a rescue, but as part of the team. I know the lady who owns it, and she has been looking for a small mini to use in her petting park & kid therapy program....they do all kinds of things to raise money for needy minis, and take on about 60 horses a year that need rescuing. I'm really hoping she pulls thru this...as she would soon be doing community service, and in an area that is her CALLING!! PETTING, AND BRUSHING! She sooo excels at that! LOL

Pam Romjue
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 112
Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 04:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana I'm so glad you found the perfect home for her - you know that means she'll pull through because now her purpose here is clear and she won't want to miss out on all that petting and brushing!!!

Please continue to keep us posted! I know everyone here is pulling for her!!!

terry waechter
Weanling

Post Number: 33
Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 11:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like you are on the way to a good solution...buyers will send you to an early grave...

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3574
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2010 - 01:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well, no poop today (in her stall anyway) she did go out for a little while. But b/w 7 pm and midnight, no poop in the stall. She has a small area on her belly where she is extremely painful and offers to bite and kick when i press it. She is not rolling, and acting colicky, as a matter of fact today is the first day she was hungry. I am really worried she may have ruptured and just isn't toxic yet. I had this happen to one of my TBs a few years back....I hope and pray it's not what i think it is.

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1383
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2010 - 03:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Diana, how disturbing. The poor little thing.

I know this is probably ridiculous but I have to ask, has she gotten psyllium? Does she eat something in the stall? Wood? Anything she can eat that would stop her up? It sounds more serious than that, but what if?

Could you give her some small pieces of carrot? My horses like asian pears too. Like I said, probably absurd, but what the heck.

I'm really glad you found a wonderful home for her, but what a loss in away, since her conformation is so nice.

Reminds me of my stud colt who has given me pause in my usual stand of geld the colt!

Anyhow, good luck with her.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3575
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2010 - 10:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WE HAVE POOP!!!! 2 huge piles of poop this morning, and she's hungry, and acting like a foal again. OMG< i was POSITIVE we were going to lose this foal. I am so happy I could just die!! Thanks for all your positive words and thoughts!

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3576
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2010 - 10:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that was 5 days of HELL.....and i'm glad we're thru it

Pam Romjue
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 113
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2010 - 12:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't be happier for you guys!!!!! I just love it when it all works out wonderfully!!!!!

Cheryl Mondry
Weanling

Post Number: 50
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2010 - 01:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats....I am so glad she pulled thru. She is so beautiful and full of life.

terry waechter
Weanling

Post Number: 34
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2010 - 03:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GOOD GOOD GOOD....they test us and thrill us!!!

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1384
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2010 - 08:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sooooooooo happy that she is okay! Whew! I bet it was hell. I felt for you and the little filly.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3581
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2010 - 10:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks guys, everyone here is always so supportive. And I appreciate it more and more, especially after this years foaling season! ! haha!

terry waechter
Weanling

Post Number: 35
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2010 - 11:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you should be good for at least 10 years of glorious foaling...LOL

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3582
Posted on Saturday, August 21, 2010 - 12:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ROFL!! i pray you're right Terry!!!!!! I'd give anything for a year with NO drama!

Deb Anderson
Breeding Stock
Username: Bobs_mom

Post Number: 189
Posted on Monday, August 23, 2010 - 09:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana,
I am so happy for you. I don't post much anymore as I am done having foals. But you are sooooo right - - this board is like a family (good family that is :-):-)) I log on every day to see how my "family" is doing. so glad to hear all is well with your baby.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3587
Posted on Monday, August 23, 2010 - 04:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Deb! I have wondered where you've been. Good to hear from you, and so glad you still keep up with us ! Hope all is well at your place!

Deb Anderson
Breeding Stock
Username: Bobs_mom

Post Number: 190
Posted on Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 08:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Diana for the warm welcome!! Yep -- still keeping up with everyone, hubby thinks I am addicted to this site :-):-) All is well here. I have been riding my 3 YO, Bob and he is AWESOME! In fact, my 70 year old dad (who has not rode in about 30 years) rode him last weekend trail riding! Bob is such a great boy - he has a permanent home here and is not leaving :-):-) Reba is doing great, she is 1.5 years old and almost as tall as Bob. I can't wait to ride her as I think she will be more athletic than Bob (he is just Mr. Ho-hum - - our trainer nicknamed him EE-Or like in Winnie the Pooh :-):-) Take care

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3589
Posted on Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 09:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, post up some new pics of Reba!!! I bet she's gorgeous as ever!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US