SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Mare constantly itching???

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Mare constantly itching??? « Previous Next »

Joyce Ensley
Nursing Foal
Username: Goda_15

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, August 11, 2010 - 12:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi my mare won't stop itching! She is 6 yrs old and ever since she was bred she won't stop itching. Her neck is almost bald, her tail base is raw and I am going insane. She even started to rub her eyes and now they are swelling up and watering. You can imagine the flies, I know that flies feed on that stuff and cause diseases so I bought an expensive Kensington flymask. Destroyed! I have her on Smart Shine which is supposed to make her skin healthier but I'm still afraid she is going to take her eye out or cut her self on something. Please Help.

Paige D
Breeding Stock
Username: Realrush89

Post Number: 139
Posted on Wednesday, August 11, 2010 - 12:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Joyce, try going through a checklist: When was the last time she was wormed? Are there any new plants/weeds growing in the pasture that she may be eating and causing an allergic reaction, or possibly even just brushing against as she walks around? Also, I knew a horse that was extremely sensitive to the saliva of biting flies, and he would be the same way. Maybe get your vet to check and make sure your mare isn't affected by this. The gelding I knew was back before there were products out on the market to help with this condition (in the south we call it "sweet itch"), but now there are products available. Finally, could you possibly gradually switch her over to another feed? There's always the possibility that she might've developed an allergy to some ingredient in her current food (or even a weed in the hay!). Other than these possibilities, I have no other suggestions, but hope these help give you some ideas. Good luck!

sara Zwerk
Neonate
Username: Sznanners

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, August 11, 2010 - 01:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mom had that problem with lice. The vet said he didn't know what it was possibly an allergy to food. Come to find out it was lice, after a lot of money spent he found it the next time he was out. They said birds are the usual culprit..we couldn't see any visible lice on him but the powder worked and it stopped.

Jennifer Needham
Neonate
Username: Cateye827

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, August 11, 2010 - 04:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you feed her alfalfa? My mare was doing the exact same thing and all the sudden she quit. i have done nothing different. same feed, same hay, same stall, same turn out. nothing changed and all the sudden she quit. but i realized the source of the alfalfa changed. Where the old hay was being grown on chemical fertilizer and now it is all natural (mostly chicken poop) and now she quit itching. turned out the feed store had to get an emergency supply that i must have bought from and fed around the time she started itching. once they got there normal alfalfa in and we started feeding it again she quit. It took me a few weeks to figure this out since i had not said any thing to the store owner till i was telling the story to a different women while we were looking at different worming products. The owner said she has had a few people with the same problem and that is when we figured out that it must have been the alfalfa.

Joyce Ensley
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, August 12, 2010 - 05:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She is out on turnout for six hours a day (alternating two hours at a time) and when I bring her in at night I only feed her a small amount of hay, do you think she could go overnight without food. If she can, I will stop feeding her the hay and see if that is it. She was last wormed two months ago but since she is pregnant the vet warned me about worming her again. Her feild is completely grass and alfalfa with some dried purple musterd (the county weed guy said that shouldn't bother her). She gets about a pound of sweet feed a day and she doesn't have sweet itch that I'm am aware of. I just checked her for lice, fearing that was the problem and couldn't find any sign of them. Thank you all for helping, and if you think I should, then I will stop her hay at night.

She is out by 7:30 every morning and in by 5:30.

Paige D
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 141
Posted on Friday, August 13, 2010 - 10:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joyce, I would be reluctant to take a horse off of any kind of roughage for an extended period of time, especially a pregnant mare. Mother nature designed them to constantly graze, and they have very small stomaches as a result. Night time is their predominate grazing time. If you want to cut back on volume of roughage, I would do so during the day. Going 2 hours without hay inbetween turnout rotations wouldn't bother her system as much as more than 12 hours without anything to eat at night. However, if you want to try and see if there's something in the hay that is bothering her, is there any other hay from a different source you could feed her for about a week (you should only need to buy a bale or 2) to give it a try with?

Jennifer Needham
Nursing Foal
Username: Cateye827

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, August 14, 2010 - 12:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would not take her off of grass hay. ever since we figured out it was a food allergy we are just very careful on where we get our hay. we now ask where it comes from but i would never take hay away completely. My parents own a feed store in south Texas and i have gone to enough Purina expos that really teach you a lot, but one of the most important things (especially in a pregnant mare) is to get enough roughage every day. I have my mare turned out on Bermuda grass for 3 hours a day. she gets half a scoop (she has a really slow metabolism) in the morning with some coastal hay. and at night she gets another half a scoop with hay again, and usually half a flake of alfalfa. But now some of the other horses in the barn are itching too and the vet thinks there may be a strange plant germinating that is irritating the horses. I would maybe ask the vet about anti histamines. they are not that expensive and do provide some relief even though it dose not solve the problem completely. but it may help until you figure out what is causing the itching.

Joyce Ensley
Weanling

Post Number: 22
Posted on Saturday, August 14, 2010 - 10:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay I just bought some new hay I'll give it a shot tonight. I'll also talk to my vet about it. Thanks.

Paige D
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 143
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2010 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Joyce, how are things going with your mare? I'm hoping that since we hadn't heard from you, that maybe things are going better. Is she still itching? If not, were you able to figure out what she was having a reaction to? Hope things are going better for her. (and you!)

Joyce Ensley
Weanling

Post Number: 27
Posted on Monday, August 23, 2010 - 05:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay no things are definately not better I've tried SmartShine , NO CHANGE!!, But now she was pawing at her gate and cut herself right above the bulb of her heel on her front left hoof but it is healing quickly. Also just this morning I found what looks like a big scar under her jaw. I've never seen or felt it there before and I check her over every day. I am terrified that it is strangles.

Joyce Ensley
Weanling

Post Number: 30
Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 - 02:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes! it was a scar, it is peeling off. However, my grief is far from over. She is always lying on the same side and her hoof is tearing up her elbow teribly so the flies get it and it is just awful.

Pam Romjue
Breeding Stock
Username: Pammysue

Post Number: 119
Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 - 02:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Joyce I see that you are in CO - me too you might call CSU and tell them about your mare. I know they do allergy testing this could help get to the bottom of the itching!

Joyce Ensley
Weanling

Post Number: 31
Posted on Thursday, September 02, 2010 - 06:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What part of CO? I'll call CSU and ask about it. Thank you!

P.S. She's not as itchy as before, I have been giving her SmartShine for about a month, but but I still want to know what caused it and how to prevent it in the future. However, she still itches her sides and tail and mane, so she still looks scruffy.

Pam Romjue
Breeding Stock
Username: Pammysue

Post Number: 129
Posted on Friday, September 03, 2010 - 04:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Joyce. I'm in Southeastern CO. Let us know what CSU has to say!!!

Paige D
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 146
Posted on Wednesday, September 08, 2010 - 07:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joyce, there is a product you can buy called a shoe-boil boot to put around her fetlock when she's in her stall that helps prevent her shoe/hoof from constantly irritating her elbow when she's laying down. They're black and look like a big donut, and you just buckle it around the fetlock. It works by acting as a "bumper" so that her foot cannot contact her elbow. Try to find one of these in a horse supply catalog or at a large tack store; they can really help.

Joyce Ensley
Weanling

Post Number: 36
Posted on Monday, September 13, 2010 - 01:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No more tail itching, but still everything else. I will certainly research the shoe-boil boot! I'll try anything.

Tahra Roberts
Neonate
Username: Tahrar

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, September 17, 2010 - 12:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know we are geting into colder weather but you might try giving her a very good bath. She may have goten into something and now the oils are still on her body. I like to use a anti fungle and bacterial wash for the body and a dandaruf shampoo for the main and tail. I then use a deep conditioner for the whole body. I put it on and let it sit for 3min and then rinse. Might give it a try and it defentaly won't hurt.

Joyce Ensley
Weanling

Post Number: 41
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 11:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bath...Shoe-boil-boots...CSU...Hay. You guys really are helpfull! Thank you all so much. I have looked into the boots and plan on buying some, and I'm about to go give her a bath. Oh and she had a small case of ringworm making her itch.

Paige D
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 150
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 12:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ringworm explains a lot! Glad you finally got things figured out. Now both you AND your mare can get some relief! Hope things keep looking up for you.

Joyce Ensley
Weanling

Post Number: 44
Posted on Thursday, September 30, 2010 - 12:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I hope so. However new problems keep arising. She has some awful scrapes on her hind hocks and my farrier said they are from her laying down on hard ground. All she has is a loafing shed (I wish she had a real stall) so I can't put bedding in it, and when she lays down and gets up she rescrapes herself, any more helpful suggestions????

Paige D
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 151
Posted on Friday, October 01, 2010 - 11:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trying to put some nice, deep bedding in the run-in would be ideal. Even if she scatters it around and drags some out into the field, it would still help. Even just putting down a mat wouldn't do much better without the bedding.

The only other solution I can think of right off the bat would be to maybe put some vetwrap around the places she's scraping herself. If nothing else, that would help protect the skin underneath. If you're unsure how to wrap the areas well, or think it might not stay in place, try to find a product called Elastikon. Place a gauze pad directly over the wound (can even apply some medicine, if you want), then apply the Elastikon over that. This stuff adheres like nothing else I've tried. It will even usually stay on when it rains. I wouldn't leave it on for more than 2 or 3 days at a time; you need to let the wounds breathe and clean them out and reapply ointment, etc. I've also used the Elastikon to help hold up the vetwrap on legs. Just place half the width of the tape on the vetwrap, and the other half on the hair. It comes in different widths, and if you were to use it for this situation, I would suggest at least a 3" width. Hope this helps! Sorry things keep cropping up on you. I know you must be ready to pull your hair out in frustration by now! Just hang in there... the time will go by quicker than you think.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 3659
Posted on Friday, October 01, 2010 - 02:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If she has a loafing shed, you can still put bedding in it. Think of putting up a board across the bottom, from corner to corner to act as a small "wall" to keep the bedding inside the shed!

Joyce Ensley
Weanling

Post Number: 45
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 06:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, I think I will do that. Do you think straw would work. If so how often should it be changed out? And yes half of my head is bald but I've managed to glue some of it back on so I don't look like such a maniac. (Just kidding!) I found a product called Therabalm in a magazine, it is supposed to heal all scratches and scrapes, does anyone know if it really works and if so would that be an option.

Paige D
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 152
Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 07:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any kind of bedding would be fine, whether straw, sawdust or shavings. I would just pick out any poop piles or pee spots. The only thing about straw is you tend to lose more of it as you clean, since it doesn't sift through the stall forks very well. Also, some horses like to eat straw, so be mindful of that. The most important thing to remember, no matter what kind of bedding you choose, is to try to fluff it every couple of days. Once it gets packed down firm from her laying on it, it doesn't give the cushioning support she'll need to prevent more damage.

Glad to hear you were able to glue some hair back on! Hey, with it getting cold, you can easily cover the bald spots with a hat!

I can't remember if you ever mentioned this in one of your posts, but what breed is your mare? Who/what is she bred to and when is she due? I know other people ont he board would also love to see some pics of your mare, so we can ooh and aah over her! Keep us posted on how things are going....

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3660
Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 10:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joyce, I never recommend putting saw dust or shavings down for a mare to foal on. I'd much rather see them foaling on straw. Most manufacturers even suggest not putting foals on anything but bare ground or straw for the first week of life. It gets inhaled, and can create problems. Yes, many people have foaled many foals on shavings and sawdust...but just one instance of newborn respiratory infection, and I'm sure you'll agree. LOL

Joyce Ensley
Weanling

Post Number: 46
Posted on Thursday, October 07, 2010 - 11:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I definetly don't want any problems with the foal too so straw it is. My mare is a Tennessee Walker but registered as a Spotted Saddle Horse since she is painted. She is bred to a black/white 15.2hh stallion. He is a local not well known horse. She was "due" about a month ago. Here are some pics. (Yes she is small I know)

This was her before she was bred...

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad310/g556k892lL/Goda3.jpg

And after...

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad310/g556k892lL/Pictures52010.jpg

Paige D
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 153
Posted on Thursday, October 07, 2010 - 12:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She's a pretty mare! I like her color pattern. I apologize, Joyce.. for some reason I had the impression your mare was not due until next year. I wouldn't have recommended the shavings otherwise. Yes, straw is the best choice right now. And hopefully you'll get lucky and she'll choose to foal outside, which will make "clean-up" easy. But the straw will still give the baby something nice and warm to snuggle down into. My mare insisted on foaling out in her drylot, and clean-up was a breeze-- mother nature and the sun took care of it.

Is your mare showing any signs of being close? Has she started developing an udder or anything yet?

Joyce Ensley
Weanling

Post Number: 47
Posted on Friday, October 08, 2010 - 12:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We-ell, she hasn't lost her "summer belly" yet and I'll post some udder pics.

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad310/g556k892lL/Pictures52012.jpg

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad310/g556k892lL/pics1024.jpg

top is one month before bottom

Paige D
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 154
Posted on Friday, October 08, 2010 - 01:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OOh, she's starting to bag up some! That means the finish line is in sight but still a ways away; congrats. Now you just have the long hours of waiting and worrying when you know it could be any day, hour, minute... The most frustrating and nail-biting time (for me).

How are her ouchies doing? Any luck in getting them healed up some?

Joyce Ensley
Weanling

Post Number: 48
Posted on Friday, October 08, 2010 - 07:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She is doing somewhat better. HOWEVER, (yeah I know)now she is getting these strange bumps all over her udder area! They're real hard and crusty and the are yellow?! aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!}

Paige D
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 155
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2010 - 07:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have no clue on the bumps. Maybe someone else can chime in with some ideas.

You didn't throw away the super glue you were using for your hair yet, did you? Geez, I know I'd be a complete mess if my mare had given me all those problems to worry over. Keep your chin up! She can't hold onto the baby forever, and then hopefully things will smooth out.

Joyce Ensley
Weanling

Post Number: 50
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2010 - 01:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah well something weird happened today and I'll post some pics soon.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3669
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2010 - 05:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well, now you've got me curious Joyce. LOL Bring on the pics!!

Joyce Ensley
Yearling

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, October 12, 2010 - 12:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a pic of her vulva I have no clue what happened I went out to her pasture and I saw that her whole behind was covered in this stuff that looked like paint but I wiped some off and it just crumbled like dry frosting (please don't let that restrain you from eating your next birthday cake!)

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad310/g556k892lL/use1.jpg

Joyce Ensley
Yearling

Post Number: 53
Posted on Tuesday, October 12, 2010 - 12:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh and later she went ot lay down and her vulva was gaping so far open. I posted a pic on Help!!!!!! but later the photobucket thing outlawed it.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US