SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Feeding while weaning

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Feeding while weaning « Previous Next »

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 1369
Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2010 - 05:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've begun weaning my four month old foals. I've cut back on the dams' alfalfa, substituting oat for some of it (my horses are never really hungery-have something to nibble on all the time). I cut out their grain and their bags are getting smaller.

Here is the problem. I don't have a separate "creep feeder" pen that they can go into all day, while keeping moms out.

I figured I could just grain the babies. Trouble is, they won't eat enough at one time to get enough nutrients. I've tried grain and manna. They nibble on it, then go over to eat alfalfa.

I can get grow colt and try that. My dealer didn't have any today. Would that be the solution? To cut down on mares' food and give babies vitamins, alfalfa and oat hay? Will they get enough of what they need, as their mothers' milk decreases in quality and amount?

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 3535
Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2010 - 12:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cj, I'm not sure i understand the question. You still have the foals on mom? while trying to wean? I'm lost...please clarify.

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1370
Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2010 - 05:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sorry for the confusion Diana. I looked at the time I wrote it. I'd been up all night. And I'm not even doing foal watch! Go figure.I'll do my best to be more clear here, although I think I have solved my own problem.

Bottom line is this; for weaned foals, is a vitamin/mineral supplement, plus alfalfa, enough, as long as they are eating well?Or asked another way, what is the best feed for weaned foals?

I read about one way of weaning young babies, while leaving them with the mares and like the concept. You feed the mares less of quality food, so the foals don't get enough through nursing. They begin to nurse less and eat more food. They stay with the mother, but stop nursing. I have noticed that the mares' bags have gotten smaller.

With this method you have a pen with an opening just big enough for the babies (not mamas) to enter. They can free feed that way without moms gobbling it all up. I don't have a pen set up yet. Thought creep feeders would work; they don't. More wasted money.

Now, about the "I think I've solved my own problem." I think they are not eating enough of the new grain, which consists of hard pellets, because they are used to eating their moms' senior grain. It is much softer. I think they will eat enough of that. I can gradually add in the harder pelleted grain.

I am just concerned about the foals staying healthy. Speaking of which, I think I'm overdue for vaccinations. I need to check that schedule.

Always something, LOL.

terry waechter
Weanling
Username: Watchman_2

Post Number: 23
Posted on Sunday, August 08, 2010 - 08:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I start creep feeding my babies as soon as they start to eat mama's grain. I have an adjacent pen they can go into but mama can't and they soon realize that is where the goodies are. If you don't have an adjacent pen, I would leave the gate ajar enough to let them in and out of where mama eats...I use strategy or now Ultimum and feed about 1 lb per 100 lbs of foal wt. This method makes weaning a snap....gradually the foals stay away from mom longer and longer until I remove mom altogether and they are a little herd of their own at about 4-5 months....

All 6 of my babies are eating together now at dinner time and come into their pen on their own...don't even think to go to mama during dinner....

terry waechter
Weanling
Username: Watchman_2

Post Number: 24
Posted on Sunday, August 08, 2010 - 08:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

another thought...if mama is in a stall....use a 2 by 4 nailed to the walls diagonally to form a corner for the foal....make it deep enough that mama can't reach baby's feeder on the wall....

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1375
Posted on Sunday, August 15, 2010 - 10:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry thanks for your response. That is what I was trying to do, but was waiting for some corral panels that someone was going to lend me, but that hasn't materialized. I like the gate idea. I have one that just might work, and I wouldn't have to build much to make it work, as a temporary creep feeder.

Thanks for the nutritional advice. I was going to try and get away with just vitamins for now, as they don't eat much grain at one time. I didn't know if they would get enough calories that way though, with reducing mare's milk quality by cutting down the moms' feed.

So thanks very much for your comments. I appreciate them.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US