SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

JOS!! HELP IN INPUT NEEDED....

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » JOS!! HELP IN INPUT NEEDED.... « Previous Next »

Kris Moos
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kris

Post Number: 1303
Posted on Monday, May 24, 2010 - 07:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a 15 year old arabian mare that used to be my main riding horses.
About 7 years ago she began acting colicy shortly before she came into "heat", but it was never a colic. When she was not in heat she would act studdy, very protective of the other mares in the pasture and when they were in heat she would do the stud nicker and crest her neck and had even tried to mount.
I had her ultrasounded and the vet said she had a large granulosa cell tumor on her right ovary, and a smaller one on her left ovary. He said it was possible that she was ovulating with many follicles of different sizes but given her history he felt it was bilateral GCT's.

Since then she has continiued to act this way but was able to be ridden with manners and did ok. Last summer one day she just seemed to kind of go crazy, and it has gotten progressively worse since then. She often looks behind her and around her whipping her head side to side and will run away like something is chasing her, she will squeal and strike for no apparent reason. She used to be a very codependant mare, didnt like to ever be alone, since last summer she has started to isolate herself from others, spends alot of time standing alone, but if a horse is removed from the pasture she will go frantic till it is returned. She has gotten so taking her out of the pasture is traumatic to her, she will shake violently and break out into a sweat.
These symptoms seem to get progressively worse as time goes by. I am wondering of she could have a tumor on her pituitary gland or something. Or are there diseases out there that could do this? She has no other symptoms, healthy, eats and drinks fine. Easy keeper(fat).

Any input would be great.
Also I am thinking for her safely and others, not that she is violent but in one of her fits of fear she could hurt someone and she no longer can be trusted to ride that she should be euthanized. However I would like to donate her to research. How or who would I contact for that ? I live in MN,
thanks!

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2875
Posted on Monday, May 24, 2010 - 08:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Treatment for a GCT is removal of the affected ovary (follow that link for more details on GCT's). To diagnose a GCT and not remove it (or recommend removal) if diagnosis is confirmed and behavioural problems are associated would be questionable practice of veterinary medicine.

I would have the mare evaluated again by a competent veterinarian, and if an ultrasound suggests a GCT, have inhibin and testosterone blood assays performed to confirm the ultrasound diagnosis (other things can visually mimic a GCT at least temporarily, but not hormonally). If diagnosis is confirmed, have the affected ovary removed. It would be extremely unusual that both ovaries are affected, and typically the hormonal secretion from the affected ovary will shut down activity on the contralateral ovary, so the mare does not cycle.

O.J. Ginther's lab at the University of Wisconsin (Madison) does a lot of work on hormones, and if it is found not to be a GCT but something else they may be interested, or could give you (or your vet) some advice.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US