SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Growth rate

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Growth rate « Previous Next »

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 1314
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2010 - 06:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How do we tell if a foal is growing too fast? My colt, born March 25th (so 7 1/2 weeks old) seems to be growing too fast. He looks good, well muscled and his testicles have already dropped.

I noticed a little swelling of one front knee and there is fluid on it. He does not seem to be bothered by it.

He is much bigger in bulk and length, but not so much taller than the filly, born April 2nd. I know foals can grow too fast, but how would I know?

He eats senior grain and alfalfa.

Cheryl Mondry
Neonate
Username: Cmondry

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2010 - 03:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi - why is your colt on senior grain? My previous filly was fed 12% all purpose plus calf manna to both her and her mother during nursing and weaning. She seemed to grow normally. I will probably do the same for the one that is due any day...just curious. thanks

(Message edited by cmondry on May 21, 2010)

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1315
Posted on Saturday, May 22, 2010 - 12:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I feed them the senior grain because they are still really young, so don't have much for teeth yet. The senior grain is soft, so they utilize more of it. Also, the moms are senior and easy keepers. My vet told me that it was enough for them too. I was surprised. I thought they would need more.

I think what you are feeding sounds good too. It is hard to not overfeed, and at the same time, get every thing that they need, in.

When not heavily pregnant, or nursing, I prefer to feed hay with a complete supplement.

I guess I shouldn't worry, considering I'm not overfeeding him. I do know of someone who had to wean a colt early though, and that mare was only fed alfalfa; no grain.

I probably just worry too much!

Kim Peavy
Breeding Stock
Username: Lovemysinbad

Post Number: 565
Posted on Saturday, May 22, 2010 - 07:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi CJ: I'm not sure what type of breeding your foal has, but when my foal was born, he had really big bones, long legs etc. The vet pretty much told us to underfeed the mare, meaning, no alfalfa hay and no high protein feed. She did not want the foal getting such rich milk so as not to let him grow too quickly and hurt his bones. We continued this for most of his nursing months. We were lucky we had grass field, but she got just plain grass hay. The baby did munch on her grain at feed time a bit, but it was a 12% pellett if I remember right and she was a pretty stingy mare and did not let him eat alot. We had to put some weight back on the mare after weaning, but it was worth it to keep the foals legs and joints from over doing it, as he was a very active foal. He is doing terrific now and his bones are great. We are still very careful what we feed him until he completes growing. He is a friesian sporthorse, although only 25% friesian, he is a solid, big boned boy. I hope some of this may have helped. Kim

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1316
Posted on Monday, May 24, 2010 - 04:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Kim. My horses are Quarter horses. The foal was a normal sized colt at birth. Someone who knows a lot about horses, inc. foals, came to look at my filly and said the colt looked fine. That makes me rest a little easier, but I am having my vet come and check out a couple of things on the horses, so I will ask then.

I'm glad your baby did alright. It is a careful dance we sometimes have to do with these creatures, isn't it?

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 3416
Posted on Monday, May 24, 2010 - 06:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ya know, CJ....I've seen them born rinky dinky, and grow like weeds, and i've seen them born monstrous, you'd think they'd be 17.3...then they're not. Everyone grows at their own pace, and he'll be perfectly "Rocko" no matter how he does it or at what pace. LOL He's a gorgeous creature...enjoy him before he gets too big to snuggle

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 3416
Posted on Monday, May 24, 2010 - 06:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ya know, CJ....I've seen them born rinky dinky, and grow like weeds, and i've seen them born monstrous, you'd think they'd be 17.3...then they're not. Everyone grows at their own pace, and he'll be perfectly "Rocko" no matter how he does it or at what pace. LOL He's a gorgeous creature...enjoy him before he gets too big to snuggle

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1323
Posted on Saturday, May 29, 2010 - 03:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's that echo again-LOL. It's usually me who does it though!

Thanks Diana. I had to have the vet out to stitch up a little skin tear on one of my mares. Forgot to ask vet to look at him. Grrrrrr. I hate when I do that!

He gets lots of hugs and training. He's got a very nice disposition, unlike my sassy filly.

Anyway, other people familiar with growing foals say he is okay, so I'm going with that. He is a good looking boy. I want to take him to halter shows (a first for me).

cindy werner, fate born 4/05/2008
Breeding Stock
Username: Cricketsmom

Post Number: 404
Posted on Saturday, May 29, 2010 - 08:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi cj, my colt,fate, grew too fast when he was young, id say prob.2-3mo. old..i had the vet come out for shots, and wanted him to check fate because of a sore on his leg, and noticed a little swelling, so vet said it had nothing to do with the cut, it was he was growing too fast and could be dangerous in the outcome. so, had to decrease his feed, and start on supplments, which i will have to get back with you on that,cant remember the name.. so he is a appy/quarter horse, and not big to begin with..he did say its better he stay on the thin side rather than heavy, because of this in his joints.. his mother has arthritis at a early age,because of her size and she's out of impressive..so, he has never been on the heavy side since then, and have no problem with lameness or swelling..and he was gelded early with only 1 testicle in...hope this helps..

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US