SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Info needed on stallion law/confinement

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Info needed on stallion law/confinement « Previous Next »

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 1250
Posted on Friday, April 23, 2010 - 05:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I now have a miniature stallion living next door and my mare is in heat. There is only a chain link fence separating him from my mares and foals. The stallion is standing on hind hooves and pawing at the fence. We plan to put in electric on our side, but were waiting for the foals to get older. We are renting.

My concerns are that the stallion (although a little thing) could get into my pasture and attack my foals, in his zest to get to my mares. I did a google search to try and find out what the responsibility of stallion owners (little or not) is in CA., but found nothing. Does anyone know what the laws are for CA. with miniature stallions or can direct me to a link? I'm really worried that he will get in and hurt my foals.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 3245
Posted on Friday, April 23, 2010 - 05:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cj, if it were me, I'd go over and ask the neighbor what they think of you putting up an electric strand on their side. If you're putting in the effort and money and time, they may not care at all....and chances are, they don't want to be responsible for hurting your foals either! It would be a responsible way to care for your foals from the right side of the fence without offending anyone.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2819
Posted on Friday, April 23, 2010 - 08:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fencing laws vary from State to State and Province to Province so you will need to check your local statutes. Often the rule of thumb is that the fence is communal property (so both are responsible for upkeep/replacement) but one has to fence animals in adequately. It does however as I say vary depending where you are. Often in rangeland for example (e.g. Colorado) it may be the responsibility lies with the person that doesn't want the animals on their property to fence the animals out. There may also be additional statutes relating specifically to fencing for stallions - and sometimes it's not particularly practical! In Nova Scotia for example, one is required to keep bulls and stallions in behind 5 strands of barbed wire!! (Although most people don't!!)

I have also had a situation where there were problems with a neighbour's stallion coming into my mare paddocks, and we resolved it by talking to the neighbour, and us buying the fencing and the neighbour putting the fencing in (they didn't really have the money for the fencing, but were happy to provide the labour). End result, all were happy (except the stallion :-)).

hedgerow farm
Weanling
Username: Lotsofponies

Post Number: 28
Posted on Saturday, April 24, 2010 - 10:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here in North Central Florida there must be 2 fences between the stallion and the property line. A friend had the same issue with a neighbor who had a Arab stallion. The stallion owner was complaining about my friend's fence and that she needed to fix it. I think my friend called Animal Control and got a copy of the law and mailed it to the stallion owner. Stallion owner moved her stallion to another pasture. Hope fully CA has a similar law.

Samantha
Breeding Stock
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 977
Posted on Saturday, April 24, 2010 - 11:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm in California as well, and there must be at least a 5ft fence (at least in my county). Nobody has ever really enforced it, but it is said that you need to have at least 5ft high fences to house stallions of any size. You might call your local animal control and ask? They should know the laws.

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1251
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2010 - 02:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks everyone. I am going to call animal control. The fence is five feet high, so that helps.

I like the idea of asking the neighbor if we could work together to put up electric fencing. We found some hardware that is made to attach electric wire to cyclone fence. Since we are electrifying our side, maybe we can even use the same solar powered unit to power his side.

I just want the owner to take some responsibility as a stallion owner.

The little stallion shares his pasture with a full size mare. Should be interesting when she comes in heat! Think the little runt will come over to borrow a ladder?

Anyway, thanks again.

hedgerow farm
Weanling

Post Number: 34
Posted on Friday, April 30, 2010 - 09:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would have at least 6' lane between horses. As a stallion owner if they can come close to touching, the fence, hot wire and all will come down. The hot wire will ground out and not shock if it gets stretched out and hangs up on the metal fence. I would use a step in type post and put a hot wire 3' in on each side of the 5' fence, that will give you a 6' lane between so they can not even think about touching plus it will save your 5' fence from being destroyed. My brother's mare got bred by the neighbors stallion, the no climb and hot wires didn't even slow him down once he could touch the mare through the fence. He charged the fence, grounded out the hot wires, broke 2 fence post and had her bred before my brother could get to them.

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1270
Posted on Saturday, May 01, 2010 - 03:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow! Thanks hedgegerow. Sigh. It is so hard when one rents! But what you say makes a lot of sense. What did you mean though by saying "...once he could touch the mare through the fence..." it was pretty much all over? Do you mean touching noses through the fence, for an example? I don't know a lot about stallion behavior. I've seen a couple of matings and a semen collection, but that's about it.

The stallion is a mini, so he could not breed my mares, but he sure could create a problem and mostly, I am afraid he might hurt the foals. So thank-you.

I just wish the neighbor would realize he has responsibility as a stallion owner, mini or not. I know I would make it a priority, if it were me. There are school kids around here too. It is a pretty developed area. Lots of traffic. It is just so irresponsible. But I guess it does no good to wish he would change.

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1271
Posted on Saturday, May 01, 2010 - 05:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

P.S., I hope your brother's mare being bred wasn't too much of a disaster.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 3310
Posted on Saturday, May 01, 2010 - 07:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cj, while that may be the case in large stallions, it's not really necessary for a mini one. a 5 ft chainlink fence with an electric wire on his side is sufficient.

hedgerow farm
Weanling

Post Number: 37
Posted on Thursday, May 06, 2010 - 06:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana is right a mini most likely wont have the weight to push down the 5' fence but I have had a small shetland pony dig under and bend the bottom of a chain link fence and end up on the other side. Chain link fences are not very strong.

My brother's mare was short cycled just incase the timing was right or should I say wrong in this case. The stallion lived across a busy street, my brother could not get any county offical to take care of the problem until the stallion hit and killed a guy on a mototrcycle.

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1289
Posted on Friday, May 07, 2010 - 09:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMG! How horrible that a human life had to be lost before any officials would act!

This little mini ran through the fence during the fourth of July fireworks, so if he gets excited enough he could sure blow through it.

Oddly enough, the horses have all seemed to have accepted that he is staying on his side of the fence. Odd. Maybe it'll stay that way. But I have two open mares now. Hopefully, I'll get them bred next month and the problem will be solved, until my little filly comes in heat. Then it will be a problem as I will have a stud colt as well.

Now I am beginning to remember all those old posts about people whose stud colts have bred mares or fillies, and it was unplanned.

I may end up with a stallion after all. I never thought I would, but if this colt develops and shows as I hope he will, then we'll see. So I will need to do all the special fencing and all that. Gads. What I might be getting into, but I will have an experienced partner if I do that.

Chris Taylor
Yearling
Username: Galaxy

Post Number: 60
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 04:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here in New Zealand, a small country to the east of Australia, we have no laws on the fencing of stallions per se. We are largely a rural country and there are numerous "old wives' tales" about fencing stallions in but none supported by any statute. It is incumbent upon land owners or users to provide fencing of an adequate standard to keep what ever stock they are grazing in their own property.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US