SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Can I castrate a two day old? LOL

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Can I castrate a two day old? LOL « Previous Next »

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 1148
Posted on Saturday, March 27, 2010 - 02:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm kidding, of course!

BUT-my two day old colt has some attitude! He will put his ears back sometimes at us and today when we cornered him, (didn't catch him except to prevent him from running away), he bit us!

I thought at first it was just mouthing, like in, "I'm just a baby, don't hurt me." But I'm not kidding, he was biting!

Yesterday, after we released him following an enema, he gave a double barrel kick! Well, I guess I don't blame him for that one.

Other times he will just about come up to us, like a normal colt would!

Anyone ever had such a turd on day two????

What do you think? Just feisty, or a little hellion?

Kay B. Jones,Nova born 2/24
Breeding Stock
Username: Kaybjones

Post Number: 442
Posted on Saturday, March 27, 2010 - 02:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CJ sounds like you got yourself a challenge! I've only had one colt and he's had his moments but always so far came around to my way of thinking without much defiance. Sounds like quite a pistol. What are you naming him? I've heard not to name him a naughty name or he might try to live up to it.

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1149
Posted on Saturday, March 27, 2010 - 03:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kay, the vet said she hasn't heard of one who is using so many tricks so early. I don't think he is going to be a mean horse, but the handling is going to have to be firm, consistent and fair, in spades!

Well, we named him Rocko as a barn name. Our grandson came up with it on the first day and we thought it was cute and fit the little guy. What do you think? Did we jinks ourselves?

When it happened, as I said in my original post, I just thought he was doing the mouthing, please don't hurt me thing. Then I thought he was just mouthing me. But eventually, I realized he was actually trying to bite me! I could hardly believe it.

When I realized he was actually trying to bite me, I just reached down and pinched his lips as soon as he put them on me. He stopped after about three times and started biting my adult daughter.

At the end of our session, I petted his face and put my fingers in his mouth, until he quit fighting it, which didn't take too long. So I think I'll be able to teach him the basics, but we will see!

I'm sooooo glad I was able to be at the birth and did some imprinting. He still lets me touch his legs.

I am having fun with this little one. The experience has been so much better than with my first (Poco). For one, I was there and got to do some imprinting. I knew NOT to let go of him when he struggled. He got up and nursed right away. His mama passed the placenta without a problem (although it was misplaced for awhile, causing a lot of confusion-but that's another story). I had help from the git go And, perhaps best of all-Rocko's IgG was over 800!!!!!

Deb Anderson
Breeding Stock
Username: Bobs_mom

Post Number: 171
Posted on Saturday, March 27, 2010 - 07:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi CJ,

Sounds like a fiesty one for sure!! Our filly last year (Reba), pulled free from mom and broke the umbilical cord and at 4 days old head butted a tree because it wouldn't move out of her way! She was imprinted (layed down and rubbed all over) at least 15 - 20 times up until we couldn't put her down anymore (yes - she needed it). The good news is with all the work, she was good with her feet for trimming without much work for the past few months (I am pretty sure you commented on my thread a few days ago). she is moving up the herd pecking order VERY quickly, but respects us from all the work as a baby. Don't get me wrong - I had my battle scars from her numerous times (kicks, bites, etc), but as she is close to 1 year old, I think the hard work (and pain) was worth it. Good luck. I can't wait to see photos and am watching and waiting for your second one. I think you have AQHA? what bloodlines?

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1151
Posted on Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 12:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Deb. I do remember Reba and some of the behavior problems you had with her. Especially head butting the tree! Hilarious. Never heard of such a thing. Honestly, I wondered if she was right in the head. I hope it's okay to say that now that she is a 1 year old and fine! LOL. It is great that she lets you work with her feet.

I have not seen an imprinting video. I have read about it some and used that, combined with how the college dealt with their newborns. So I guess what I called "imprinting," was actually a kind of hybrid.

I had no understanding with my first one, so when he began to struggle, I let him go. He couldn't even stand yet, so he tried, out of fear, and slammed against the side of the corral a few times. It was a mess and his mother decided I knew nothing about how to handle her baby (and she was pretty much right) and from then on called him too her whenever I came out.

But eventually I could rub him all over. I couldn't get a halter on him though, so I could only do what he wanted to let me do. I hired someone to work with haltering him and teaching him to lead when he was about six months old.

I do not plan to repeat my mistakes with this one! So far, so good.

Rocko is a character. He will come to the gate, as long as we are outside, and let us pet him. Then he runs all around, kicks up his heels and acts like he is the big dog. But when we go inside, he runs behind mama's tail.

Yes, I have AQHA's. Rocko's mama's grandfather was Doc Bar. She also has Whimpy, way, way back in her pedigree. I'd have to look again for the rest. She is well papered though.

My other mare, Julie, has Colonel Freckles, Doc Bar and a few other names as well. They both have the old QH build. But Julie is losing her big rump, as arthritis has caused some muscle wasting. I would have loved to see her in her hey day.

When I bought them I had barely heard of Doc Bar. I just plain got lucky. I am hooked now. This is just too much fun and it is the only exercise I like to do! LOL.

How about your"s?

Deb Anderson
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 173
Posted on Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 10:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rocko sounds like so much fun. We read about imprinting, so probably had a hybrid version as well. We gently laid the baby down in the straw, and held them there (laying flat) until they quit struggling, then we rubbed all over their legs and bent the legs and tapped on the hooves, rubbed all over the ears, muzzle and under side of the belly. Everywhere that we could and that horses may get sensitive about touch. When they were quiet and we were finished (no more than 10 minutes at a time), we let them up. Repeated over the course of a few days (and in Reba's case - numerous tiems!!! Bob loved it and was not a problem child)

I realy enjoy the babies, but hubby said we are done :-) They all have such personalities. Our full brother and sister are COMPLETE opposites - each fun in their own way, though. I am planning to show Bob the 3 YO palomino this year. He did really well as a yearling, but with all that happened last year, we did not show. we are NOT show people - so showing in itself is quite an event for us. We trail ride, and I dabbled in barrel racing for a few years.

Our babies are out of AQHA bloodlines of Two Eyed Red Buck (Pitzer ranch) and the mare went back to Concluded and Skip bar. We also have Paints that have bloodlines of KingFisher McCue and Hank-A-Chief with lines also to Jet Deck.

I never got into bloodlines until we bred and now and I am recongnizing and picking out my favorites.

My husband has a business which does horse trailer custom conversions: www.wildcatcc.com. It has phootso of our horses and his work.

Please put some photos on of Rocko - I am dying to see him. It will also be so fun when you have two babies to play together and romp.

Kay B. Jones,Nova born 2/24
Breeding Stock
Username: Kaybjones

Post Number: 444
Posted on Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 05:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rocko sounds like a great name. I envy you with another baby. Started wishing I had another but gosh its a lot of worry and work. For right now, I'm concentrating on my 2 year old and trail riding his momma.

Allison
Breeding Stock
Username: Jumbletwist

Post Number: 128
Posted on Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 05:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very smart Kay, it is way to easy to get over run with too many horses...and horses deserve to get quality attention. No need to breed more if there isn't a clear plan for them! Good luck with your 2 year old in training!!

Cindy Holland
Breeding Stock
Username: Iagrl

Post Number: 114
Posted on Monday, March 29, 2010 - 03:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Deb, I love the work your husband has done! I just got a new (used) trailer and would love to have the dressing room jazzed up into more of a living area. Maybe someday.....<sighs>. I'll have to keep your website in mind if I ever get extra $$.

Your website says your in South West WI? Do you have a favorite place to ride?? I'm in North-Central Iowa. The furthest east we've been is Forrestville, near Rochester, MN.

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1159
Posted on Monday, March 29, 2010 - 07:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kay and Allison, yes he is a character, but he's doing well. Leading a bit, bending his head toward me. I'm still working on the mouthing issue. At times it seems like biting, but I think he just wants to nibble- most of the time anyway. Still, I don't allow horse lips to nibble humans.

He runs and kicks out when we are through with our short lessons. But he comes right up to me now and I'm very pleased that he is not afraid of humans.

I know what you mean when you say you aren't having more foals. Day by day, I see this guy grow, knowing another one is on the way. Do I really want more? I have great horses with wonderful bloodlines, but so do many other people. Furthermore, I can't train them under saddle. I have been questioning if this is my last babies as well. Sigh. If only I had started this when I was young!

Deb, it sounds like we did a similar thing with our foal. I didn't do the laying down thing. Good idea though. How was her mama through all that?

Kay, glad you like the name. His daddy is Master Steve out of Master Remedy, so I thought maybe I would register him as Steves Rockin Remedy or Master Rockin Remedy or Masters Rockin Remedy.

Deb, the trailer conversions are beautiful! What a gift your husband has. Makes it feel like a home away from home, for real.

I hope showing goes well with your Palomino, Bob. What discipline are you showing in?

I'm still trying to post pictures. It's ridiculous. I've spent hours trying. I copy the url/html link-code thing and it pastes, but it is only the address or some such thing. It doesn't open the picture. I just can't figure it out. I'd love to show off Rocko.

Deb Anderson
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 175
Posted on Monday, March 29, 2010 - 07:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Cindy and CJ,

Thanks for the trailer compliments! He does do beautiful work and we love to go camping with the horses.

Cindy - our favorite places are: Prairie duChien, WI (laRiveria park), Wildcat Mountain, (WI), Jubilee state park and Shawnee in IL.

check out the photo of Reba under foal watch 2008-2009, 2009 foals how are they doing.

CJ - the mare was quite docile as she had numerous other issues happening (maybe you read the posts last year). In fact we had to put her down once Reba made it to 3 months of age. Maybe that is why Reba is such a stinker now - no Momma to look to or run to.

I will be watching for the photo of Rocko......I really like all three names you have picked out. I like the note from Kay and naming them with something they can live up to. We went with Reba as the barn name (Red headed sassy singer Reba McIntyre) and the the registered name is Red Buck N Sassy (sire: Red Buck Barcee, dam Sassy's Obsession)

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1160
Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2010 - 02:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like Reba's name (both barn and registered).

Yes, I do remember reading the posts last year, and weren't you posting the year before as well?

I had forgotten all about Reba's mother. I think from what I've read about orphaned foals, is they want to be in your space and don't have as much respect.

I am trying to get help with photo bucket. Hopefully, I can get those pics up.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US