SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Question about mare looking "slab sided."

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Question about mare looking "slab sided." « Previous Next »

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 1107
Posted on Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 12:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, here I go again, starting a new thread. But I know you all miss it when I don't do it for awhile. Har-De-Har!

Okay, this is probably obvious to many, but when a mare looks "slab sided," how far should you be standing behind her to tell?

When I stand about two-three feet from my mare's behind, she looks slab sided. But if I go further back, I can see some baby belly sticking out at the sides, just a little. The further I go back, the more side belly I see.

So when are they truly "slab-sided?"

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 2972
Posted on Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 09:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Cj, there ya go over-analyzing again. LOL Wouldn't be foaling season if we didn't ALL do it would it? Here's the skinny.....it doesnt' really matter how far you stand, what's important is you stand around the same distance each time. There's not particular 'distance' that will give you a better hint....just do it everyday, and eventually (in my case, after an eternity or two) she'll go from appearing lopsided to "wow, did she have the foal without me? and if so where is it?" In some mares this is really hard to tell no matter where you stand. I have a mare who doesn't really go out wide...she just droops, so she always looks v'd and slab sided. So much for this method! LOL Keep your sanity, and go by things you KNOW....don't second guess yourself, and don't fall into the "she has every other sign" trap. Typically, they'll start to droop more in the belly (noticably), then slim it up from the rear view...then one day the vulva will elongate (noticably). Then you'll have baby. All the other details are just details. And they have to all come together to amount to anything. I took my mares temp am and pm, it always stayed b/w 99.2 and 99.5...they simply don't read the same books we do!! LOL Hope you get to see your babies born this year!

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1116
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2010 - 04:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana, tell me something, how do you evaluate your little shorty mares? Are you kneeling; lying down? LOL. And to express milk, do you put them up on a milking platform?

These are the kinds of things I think about when I'm sleep deprived, ready to throw in the towel and trade my horses in for some nice canaries.

Anyway, thanks for the tips. Sigh I just want them to tell me if I get to sleep tonight or not. HaHa. Who wouldn't, huh?

I'm making progress though. In 2008 I started foal watch about a month early. This time, I'll have a week or two of it, unless they do decide to hold off and have 2011 foals!

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2983
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2010 - 08:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! I just reach up under there and cop a feel....when i need to see something i look b/w the back legs or stick the camera under there. The milk? just like milking a cow, baby!! But without the comfort of a stool...heehee
I have the advantage of evaluating my mares from above, which gives me a better idea about the shape of their belly and rump. So there's at least one upside to the itty bittys.

Sleep deprivation? BRING IT ON....I hibernated all summer!! I still say if you want to know when to sleep, test the milk! It's always worked for me!

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 2477
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2010 - 08:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOLOL.. way too funny Diana!! You girls crack me up!

My husband does not like me testing milk, because he said it will make the mare start dripping milk. Is this true? He's so afraid the mare will lose the colostrum.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2985
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2010 - 08:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn, I have never had one start dripping , and I test constantly when it comes in. Also, the testable fluid that comes in before the colostrum is not colostrum. When colostrum comes in, it only takes one test...because if it's in, that test is an indicator of foaling. (at least in minis) I have never had a mini wax before, though i have heard some do....but MY philosophy is this....you're not going to "use up" all the colostrum, b/c the mare doesn't make it until the time of foaling. Plus you only need 1/2 cc to do the test.

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2478
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2010 - 10:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just what I thought. Thank you for explaining. I am definately going to test the milk this time, if Uh-O doesn't give me trouble. I saw on Terry's post that she does a lip chain if they're not cooperative and another lady said she gives treats. So I'll try the treats first and if that doesn't work, I'll have to try other methods.

Thanks again! Marilyn

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1120
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 12:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn, the books I've read agreed with Diana. So don't worry about causing the milk to drip.

I am testing the milk also. There is a 2% chance they will foal tonight. But I have also read that the calcium level can change very quickly-thus the 2%, I suppose.

If I had a mini, I'd just put it in a large dog crate in my bedroom.

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2497
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 07:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you CJ, for your response. I'll have to show my husband what you girls posted, so he won't have a cow when I start testing the milk.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US