SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Mare not eating or drinking

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Mare not eating or drinking « Previous Next »

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 1086
Posted on Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 05:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare is 336 days gestation. She has drank very little the last two days. Was eating fine, until this morning. She has not been herself for three days.

Her temp. was 99.6 last night.

She was biting sides and kicking at sides last night. The foal was very active. I think it was getting into position and bothering her. She groaned once.

For the most part, she just stands in one place. She looks ready to foal.

She did not act this way with her last foal, that I recall.

My biggest concern is her not drinking. Any ideas? Is this a normal thing?

charlene birdsall, Jetta born 3/20/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Charlie67

Post Number: 1109
Posted on Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 09:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi CJ, sounds like your mare is about to foal to me. Baby's temperature was 99.2 about five hours before Jetta was born. Baby still ate and drank normal though. Baby foaled on day 338. Good luck!

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1088
Posted on Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 09:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Charlene. Julie is grazing normally now. I let her out to pasture. She may have gotten some fescue. Her bag is smaller than with last baby, but otherwise she is progressing right along and looking there to me. I'll put her back in her stall soon.

Would be great if she foals tonight. I'M DETERMINED TO SEE IT THIS TIME! HAHA.

Anyway, I am feeling a little less worried now. Thanks for the encouragement.

When did Baby foal?

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1110
Posted on Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 10:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She foaled on day 338, March 20th, 2008. Take your mares temperature again when you put her away. I think you might have a baby born tonight! Best wishes.

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1089
Posted on Friday, March 19, 2010 - 01:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Her temp is 99.8. Her vulva is pretty loose and her tail is very loose. I'm keeping a close eye on her. Tried to test milk, but the foal protector kit I got is impossible to work, as far as I can tell. It was supposed to make my life easier, HaHa!

So are you having any foals this year?

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 2442
Posted on Friday, March 19, 2010 - 07:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cjskip, I think you'll have a foal this morning. Her temp is down and that could be the reason. I sure hope you get to see the birth, it is a marvel!

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1112
Posted on Friday, March 19, 2010 - 11:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I used the foal predictor kit on my mare, it was not very accurate. I would just keep on taking her temperature, and if it gets down around 99.2, then don't take your eyes off her.. I won't be doing the foaling thing anymore. I have a messed up back, and can't even ride. This is why I'm trying to sell all my horses. What did your mare have last year, a colt or filly? Can't wait to see the pics of your precious little foal. I sure have missed talking with all of you.

Cindy Holland
Weanling
Username: Iagrl

Post Number: 40
Posted on Friday, March 19, 2010 - 02:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was reading your posts about temp in a pg mare. So I had to do a Google search to satisfy my curiosity. I did not realize that a mare's temp will drop at night when they are ready to foal. Very interesting. Thanks for the insight!

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1115
Posted on Friday, March 19, 2010 - 04:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

your welcome! I was told this from a big paint breeder in my area. After doing it myself, I will swear by it everytime.

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1095
Posted on Saturday, March 20, 2010 - 05:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My post from last night didn't get posted. I probably didn't wait long enough for it to upload.

Marilyn, I really hope I can see at least one of these mares foal. I missed my first and only, so far, by minutes, in 2008.

Charlene, I am so sorry you hurt your back. It must be hard for you to have to give up horses. I am in a similar situation. At age 60, and being disabled, I wonder how much longer I can have horses. I'm just going day by day, but there will come a time...

I hope you are able to find suitable homes for all of them, soon. It is good to have you on the board, even if you are not breeding horses. Your experience is valued.

Hi Cindy! Always something new to learn on this site, it seems.

Well, no baby last night. I've been posting some on the thread, "Foal Watch 2009-2010."

Julie's temp was 98.8 last night! But so was Beauty's. Not sure how that happened. Maybe the vaseline I put on was cold and affected it.

I think part of the problem is there are too many "watchers" at my house. So I told them all, no more! I'll check. My problem is, I cannot see from inside the house. A big, tall light from someplace, is shining on my windows, so it causes a reflection.
I can see one mare in her stall, but not the other. But I'm determined to make it work.

I leave my porch light off. We have put low lighting in their stalls. I stand on a step stool to see them. I'm sure they can hear the front door open, even though I carefully open it, but I don't think that at least the one one mare can see me.

The next idea is to sleep in the big pick-up we have parked near the stall. I could raise up and see into the stalls, since there is some light there. But it's cold outside!

I should have ordered a different camera! The one I have does not work under metal roofs.

At least Julie is drinking more now. Whew! That worried me.

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2458
Posted on Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 10:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like you're not having fun right now CJ. It is so darn cold by me right now, the last thing I would want to do is sleep out in the cold.

Can you order a different camera and have it shipped next day? I know it's close to foaling time, but who knows, you may have a few days yet.

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1110
Posted on Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 12:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Marilyn. It isn't too bad. I just wish I could see both stalls well!

I am looking at cameras. One of the members here suggested a camera that works for her. Even gave me a link to the e-bay seller! Gotta love this forum!

I sent a note to the e-bay seller to see if they will overnight it. If they do, then I'm getting one, or maybe even two. Luckily, the seller has 10 of them and there is a "Buy it now," option. Only $49.00.

I'm pretty sure that at least one of the mares won't foal for about four days. But even so, I can keep an eye on the babies for the first week or so-or even put it in my small pasture later. LOL! I'm hopeless.

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2460
Posted on Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 01:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CJ, your not hopeless, you're a very concerned breeder, who loves her horses!

Let us know if you can get your camera next day.

Good luck! I can't wait to see your new foals! :-)

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1115
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2010 - 04:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for those kind and encouraging words, Marilyn.

Well, I found the other part to my old camera. However, the darn camera isn't working right!

I was so happy when I set it up, thinking about how I wouldn't have to sneak outside in my camouflaged pajamas tonight, to spy on my mares.

I think we should have a thread about the craziest things we've done, trying to lay low, while trying to be present for the big event. Bet there are some funny stories there. LOL.

Judy Wood
Weanling
Username: Jawood

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2010 - 11:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CJ - I was really in a pinch for a monitor/camera, so I went to Target and picked up the "Summer Infant Day & Night Baby Video Monitor Set" It works GREAT! It even has night vision, although I did have low lighting in one corner of the stall. It also claims to have a 350' range - not sure how that would work for you, but it was perfect for us. The audio is unbelievable as is the video. Great deal for $140.

Here is a picture - great view of Luna's entire stall...

[IMG]http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab309/JAWOOD7161/horsecam.jpg[/IMG]

If it werent for this monitor set up, I would have missed the entire birth!

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1118
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2010 - 11:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Judy, that sounds good. Do you have a metal roof and is the camera weatherproof; I'm thinking about rain if I have to mount one outside the stall?

I figured out the calcium testing and at this point, they are 98% Not likely to foal tonight. So I'm going to only check on them every three hours. We all need more sleep!

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2496
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 07:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CJ, just curious, anything new with the mare?

It sounds like testing the milk is the way to go, when it comes to foaling time possiblities. I'll probably give that a go, when it comes time.

Judy Wood
Weanling
Username: Jawood

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 11:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CJ - we have the camera mounted up high in the eaves (wood roof) }as it is not waterproof (meant for human babies) and we have it plugged in using an extention cord tied way up out of reach and out of the rain. It would have to literally rain UP to be an issue.

Like I said, it was a quick fix for monitoring Luna without disturbing her and now, great for monitoring Destiny :-)

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1127
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 06:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Judy. I'm going to look into them tomorrow. We live quite aways from major shopping. If it is not wireless, it would probably work, even under a metal roof. From the picture you sent me, it looks like it works great.

I'm glad you were able to find something that worked well.

I do get the "quick fix" idea. I've had to do that sort of thing more often than I can count! LOL.

Marilyn, nothing new. They have actually settled down some. Julie is eating and drinking some, but not as much as I would like to see. I'm watching for the belly drop. I can see some progress, not a real dramatic change.

I am going to test their milk every night. I hope I don't get a false sense of security from it.

I had planned to get up at 4 AM and check them, but instead, slept like a baby.

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1132
Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2010 - 02:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tonight Beauty's milk is at 175. We're getting there!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US