SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Need ideas for temporary foal fence

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Need ideas for temporary foal fence « Previous Next »

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 2429
Posted on Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 12:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm looking for a temporary fence to separate Uh-O from Asia and Zealand. Does anyone have an idea what we might use that won't cost me an arm and a leg? It has to be quick and easy to put up and take down.

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 1081
Posted on Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 04:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would T-posts (capped, of course) and no climb horse wire, such as Red Brand work? It is about $130.00 for a hundred foot role.

The other thing that comes to mind is a portable corral. I think I've seen them for as little as $150.00. However, I don't know how sturdy they are.

Of course, there is electric wire.

Seems like anything with the word "equine," or "horse" attached to it is expensive though! LOL.

Hope this helps.

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2430
Posted on Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 07:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll have to check out Red Brand. I never heard of it.

The electric wire does not work well with young ones. Zealand, my two year old got caught up in electro braid and got cut up pretty bad and getting shocked the entire time she tried to free herself. She spent a month and a half tied in her stall to keep the stitches in and then a month in her stall after that. So that's not going to work.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Marilyn

Paige Dorsey
Neonate
Username: Realrush89

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 12:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Something I always thought would be good to use for a temporary set-up (but never have) is the bright orange construction webbing that workers erect around holes, etc, to keep people away from things. Not sure on cost, but you can easily pick up a roll from Home Depot or Lowes. I think the webbing is 4ft in height, and the holes are too small for a horse to get a foot caught in. As long as you had posts to attach it to, that would be pretty easy and cheap to set up and take down.

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2435
Posted on Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 01:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I checked on it and it seemed to me the foal could get their hoof through the holes.

Thank you for your suggestion!

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1087
Posted on Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 07:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn, I had no idea that electric fence is bad for young horses. Sorry about your experience. Poor baby! I have to put up electric fence inside the chain link, as they can go right through that, unless I pound posts and put a complete fence inside the cyclone. Dang!

What about using hog wire panels, with the graduated size, starting at smallest at the bottom and 4"x4" at the rest of it? Cost is about $32.00 for a 16' panel, last time I looked. They work very well. Sorry I didn't think to mention it before. You can even nail it to trees or to a building if you want to. It also comes in 12" lengths, which would be sturdier and you wouldn't need as many posts to support it.

Of course I don't know how big of an area you're talking about.

Red Brand is just a common brand of horse fence around here. It is "no climb", 2"x4." No doubt there are other brands.

How about the portable fence I mentioned? Would that work?

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2440
Posted on Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 08:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Red Brand is an awesome fence and I thought this would be perfect until my husband said it was too expensive and he didn't want wire... Ugh!

Then I came across this... what do you all think?

http://www.3tproducts.com/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=196&idcategory=38#detail s

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1090
Posted on Friday, March 19, 2010 - 01:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks great, if you have a quiet horse that you know won't push on it and get through it. I mean, it doesn't look very sturdy. Sure looks quick and inexpensive though.

I hope this works for you. I know finding the right fence (inexpensive and all that) is hard. Good luck Marilyn. If you get it, let us know how it works out, okay?

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2441
Posted on Friday, March 19, 2010 - 07:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was thinking the same thing. It really doesn't look very sturdy. Maybe if I put an electric wire on top of that, it might work. Hmmmm... What do you think Cjskip?

charlene birdsall, Jetta born 3/20/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Charlie67

Post Number: 1113
Posted on Friday, March 19, 2010 - 11:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Marilyn, I think that stuff would work great! If it were my horses, I would sink some 4x4's in the ground right behind the posts that come with the kit to make it stronger. That way if they run into it, they will just bounce off of it, instead of going right through it. Are you going to get it? I think it would really work. Good luck!

Cindy Holland
Weanling
Username: Iagrl

Post Number: 36
Posted on Friday, March 19, 2010 - 01:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the fencing could work. If it was my horses, I would run into the problem of them trying to eat grass on the other side. Basically the horses trying to reach over the fence. Anytime there is a possibility of food on the other side of a fence, my horses turn into giraffes unless the fence is electric. If you need it in a stall it could work.

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2449
Posted on Friday, March 19, 2010 - 02:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's in a dry lot, so grass wouldn't be an issue. But my horses are very noisy and leaning over the fence to take a look at a new born foal, could be a problem. So I think running an electrical wire on top would discourage that.

Charlene, the dry lot is pure sand, so I'm not sure if the buried boards would work or not... I'll run that across my husband and see what he thinks.

Thanks for all the great suggestions!

charlene birdsall, Jetta born 3/20/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Charlie67

Post Number: 1114
Posted on Friday, March 19, 2010 - 04:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You would probally have to dig holes about 2ft. deep. It would make it alot stronger and would give you something to string that hotwire on.

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1103
Posted on Saturday, March 20, 2010 - 09:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You would have to set some kind of support for it. The T-Posts work well, if you cap them, of course,

A very simple tool to drill a hole with is a small diameter pipe screwed onto the end of a hose.

I've used the stuff and the horse will lean over it, but I've never had a horse go through it or get hurt on it; not even my colt when I separated him from his mama.

Marilyn, I think an electric fence on top would be a great idea.

However, in thinking about this, I think the red brand wire, with posts, would be cheaper, all though the roll of wire is, of course, harder to put up, due to having to stretch it out.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US