SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

DNA and Registration Problems

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » DNA and Registration Problems « Previous Next »

Cindy Holland
Nursing Foal
Username: Iagrl

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, March 16, 2010 - 12:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just ran into a hiccup with my horse.

Are any of you familiar with AQHA? I sent in a DNA test for my mare (she is registered with AQHA) and right now the genetics came back that her DNA does not match her dam. Wonderful. If they can't find a match, then they may pull her paperwork and I won't be able to register her baby. I'm not very happy to say the least. I left a voice message for the original breeder and I am waiting for him to get back to me. I'm not sure it the he screwed up the registration or the mares switched babies. I hope AQHA can find a match in their system for my mare! UGH!!

Has anyone else ran into this problem??

I'm still waiting for my mare to have her baby.

Allison
Yearling
Username: Jumbletwist

Post Number: 66
Posted on Tuesday, March 16, 2010 - 12:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ugh! No, but that really really stinks! I've had the tatoo guy come out and have to change markings on the papers- a pain in the you know what, but nothing like your situation...ugh! I do know that AQHA can be pretty strict though.

Cindy Holland
Weanling

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 04:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare's dam is definitely wrong on her registration. AQHA will not pull a stallion report for the year the mare was conceived and cross reference the DNA. Apparently there is confidentially issues by doing this. I would think the stallion records are in the computer for a reason. Luckily the stallion owner is willing to pull the list of mares bred to that stallion and give those names to me. What a mess!!! The stallion was only bred to a handful of mares that year. I can't believe how tied my hands are in this situation. If I can't get a match for the dam, the papers will be pulled. I'm beyond frustrated!! I thought DNA testing was suppose to eliminate this problem! The breeder of my mare said he did DNA testing on his mares thank goodness!

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2765
Posted on Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 10:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought DNA testing was suppose to eliminate this problem!

Ummm... DNA testing did eliminate the problem... the only problem is that the problem it eliminated was mistakes (intentional or otherwise) in parentage verification... your problem is that DNA parentage verification testing exists! :-(

Sorry to hear about the issue, and I hope you can get it all sorted out, but it is a good sign that the DNA testing caught it before you'd bred 2 or 3 more generations of the wrong lineage!

You could perhaps hope for a very rare incidence that has happened a couple of times, where a chimera has been identified as a result of DNA parentage testing. This tends to seriously mess up "normal" DNA typing!

Good luck! :-)

Cindy Holland
Weanling

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 11:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos, I understand what you are saying, but what I meant is this: DNA testing should eliminate the problem of not knowing who the real dam is for my mare. The DNA information is available on a database, but AQHA refuses to do any research to remedy the parentage mistake. Referencing the DNA database should eliminate the problem of parentage mistakes. With DNA technology, all parentage mistakes should be fixable. I'm frustrated because the information is available, but nothing is being done to figure out the correct lineage. I'm glad that DNA testing exists.

On a side note, how would chimera be determined? I doubt that is the situation, but I am curious.

Thanks for the good luck. I just hope I can get this figured out.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2766
Posted on Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 01:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately, one of the misconceptions about DNA is that one can simply plug a set of results into a computer and identify the parents. While this is hypothetically correct, the size and speed of a computer needed to do this on a routine basis would be quite significant. It's a matter of exponentially calculating the likelihoods - you know, that X x Y = Z to the power of n thing. Sometime in the future it will probably be possible on a routine basis, but I don't think it is yet.

I am far from a geneticist, but my understanding of identifying chimerism is to perform multiple DNA tests on different tissue samples from the same source and get a different DNA profile on two of them. If someone knows more about this, I'd be happy to hear about it!

Cindy Holland
Weanling

Post Number: 28
Posted on Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 01:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos, I looked into the chimera a little bit. From what I read, you are correct that DNA would need to be taken from multiple sources. I believe the chances of a chimera is something-in-a-billion.

I finally got past the customer service reps at the AQHA and talked to a gal in the lab. She was much more helpful. She said that the AQHA does pull a list of mares that could be possible matches to my mare, but none currently match my mare. My hopes keep getting dimmer and dimmer of finding the correct mare. I was able to pull a few mares on a report of the stallion, but 4 out of 6 did not have DNA on record. (They are pretty old mares.) And I couldn't find the current owner for the mares. The AQHA is checking on two mares right now. And I'm still waiting for the stallion owner to get back to me. From what I understand, he will be reviewed and possibly face suspension with the AQHA if this matter can not be resolved. I'm beside myself in this matter.

Samantha
Breeding Stock
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 965
Posted on Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 02:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is why it's best to have horses registered before breeding...

Are you sure you have the right year of birth, etc..?

Cindy Holland
Weanling

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 10:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My horse was registered before breeding, but was not DNA tested. I do have the right birth year since the mare was registered when she was born. I have a list of 4 horses that have to be the dam. Tomorrow I should be able to find out if those mares have DNA on file. Please keep your fingers crossed that the DNA is on file!!

Allison
Yearling
Username: Jumbletwist

Post Number: 77
Posted on Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 10:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, I sure will keep mine crossed for you...what a mess!

Cindy Holland
Weanling

Post Number: 33
Posted on Friday, March 19, 2010 - 09:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very good news!!! I am happy to say that 3 out of 4 mares have DNA on file. The one that doesn't have DNA has grandparents that do, so they can use the grandparents DNA. My mare might finally get her real dam on her paperwork!!! I don't want to get my hopes up too high, but there is really no way that one of those mares can't match. They were the only mares owned by that owner and bred to that sire. So now I have to wait till next week to find out the results.

I hope my mare has her baby so I can stay preoccupied with that and not think about the wait.

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 2446
Posted on Friday, March 19, 2010 - 12:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How wonderful Cindy!

Wishing you get your foal in the next day or so!

Cindy Holland
Weanling

Post Number: 39
Posted on Friday, March 19, 2010 - 01:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Marilyn! I am relieved, but I hope I don't get let down. I wish I didn't have to wait over the weekend. Ugh! If the DNA doesn't match my mare to her dam, I'm wondering if she was born from immaculate conception?? j/k

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 2447
Posted on Friday, March 19, 2010 - 01:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol, maybe... lol

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US