SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Horse market and breeding decisions

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Horse market and breeding decisions « Previous Next »

Deb Anderson
Breeding Stock
Username: Bobs_mom

Post Number: 162
Posted on Monday, January 18, 2010 - 09:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As this forum is about reproduction, I thought it might be interesting to see how the horse market and economy has affected your breeding decisions. Did you breed for a foal this year? Will you re-breed for next year? If you are breeding, are your numbers lower than in the past? If you stand a stallion, are you being more selective about the mares you are breeding? Are you considering to Not allow your stallion to breed this season?

Terry Waechter P.R.E. foals
Breeding Stock
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 919
Posted on Monday, January 18, 2010 - 05:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the market is definitely a concern for Andalusian breeders..I know many people are not breeding in 2010. As for me I am expecting 6 foals this spring and am only breeding 2011 foals sold in utero and paid for in advance. I have reduced my prices on my young stock and am doing some ET/frozen Embryo sales. in other words only breedings with a surefire cash return even if it is a smaller amount.

Ann
Breeding Stock
Username: Northernperch

Post Number: 173
Posted on Monday, January 18, 2010 - 07:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We were expecting 4 foals this year and are planning to breed for 4 next year. I agree with Terry that the horse market is down however when you are chasing the next world champion...every breeding season counts.

We have 2 weaners for sale and are having a hard time moving them....so we'll see.

PA Draft sale is this week and so we'll see what the sale prices are. Anyone's guess at this point.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 2782
Posted on Monday, January 18, 2010 - 11:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fortunately, I don't believe the miniature horse market has been hit as hard as other breed markets. I noticed in 2009 that foals went for a little less than previous years, but they still went easily. I have 7 mares bred for 2010, with hopes of having 8 for next year.

Kathee McGuire
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Katheekj

Post Number: 1631
Posted on Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 06:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was planning on breeding my mare this season for a foal to keep. Since we don't show, I didn't need perfection, but I have some "non-negotiables". I started researching the sale ads and was able to find a good selection of the qualities I was hoping to "create" and I ended up buying two new mares! One is a coming 2 year old so she will have about a year of ground work before we ever ride. The other is a seasoned 10 yr old. Both were priced right. We decided not to breed for 2010 although I will miss the excitement of it all.

Samantha
Breeding Stock
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 920
Posted on Wednesday, January 20, 2010 - 09:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm proceeding cautiously. I have the ability to keep the youngsters and start them myself if need be, so it's not a disaster if I still have 3 year olds... they typically sell better undersaddle anyways.

I had five foals in 2009. Two sold, one still for sale, and I'm keeping two. I sold two mares last year, and got one new one. So for 2010 I'm expecting four foals. Not sure how this coming year is going to go as far as breeding... I'm breeding at least two, the coming months will determine what I'm going to do. I actually bought a new stallion in November 2009.

Quality will always sell in my opinion. I'm going to try to show my young horses and ponies, and really prove that they are high quality. I'm keeping the numbers fairly low, so that I can afford to show them. I get my breeding stock approved, etc... I've always been a bit picky about what mares are bred to my stallion. It reflects badly on him in a low quality mare is bred to him, so it's good for everyone involved to just not breed low quality mares.

Anyways, yes I'm continuing. I'm stepping up advertisement as well... we'll see how it goes. Right now I don't have any glaring reason to stop. I'm trying to get one of my stallions his Legion of Merit award through offspring, so I need to have at least three that I just show show show!

Ann
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 174
Posted on Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 07:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a note, I attended the PA draft horse sale on Tuesday...prices were really down. I bought a mare based solely on pedigree whose mother was a world champion and who had herself produced the 2008 world champion jr mare...for $1500. As my husband said, we bought a lottery ticket.

We had been thinking about cosigning one of our "weaners" (weanlings) to the sale but would have lost money when factorig sale prices v. fees, coggins, etc. Glad we opted to sell privately.

Was the $1500 well spent? We'll see if she hits again....she is bred back the same way she was for the Jr. World Champion...let's hope lightning strikes twice!

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 2787
Posted on Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 08:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ann, I think your odds are good, and Samantha is right....quality holds it's value! It's a buyers market, no doubt. If you raise quality, and are able to buy during this hard economic time, you're certain to score some great deals AND make money on your foals....
Also, it seems that the economy has effected east and west coast far more than here in the middle. I know people with world champion show horses on either coast who cant give their horses away, and I sit here in the middle with horses who don't show (but are certainly showquality and valuable pedigrees) with a waiting list to buy foals. I have been very fortunate to not be affected TOO much.

Terry Waechter P.R.E. foals
Breeding Stock
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 922
Posted on Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 02:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All of you have hit the nail on the head as far as I can see....this year will be a waiting game and those that can sit it out and do improvements will be in a great position when economics improve. I was fortunate enough to qualify two mares in the Spanish Stud Book in 2009 which allows me to use Embryo Transfer and Frozen Embryo Tecnology....so in 2010 this is what I will be doing....making quality babies that can wait for a better time to be born....

Ann
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 177
Posted on Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 04:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Diania and Terry...and last year this is what we wrote on our "For Sale" page on our website:

"While in so many ways, the poor economy has struck tremendously harsh blows to many, it has also provided an excellent investment opportunity for farms. Sometimes a bad economy is an investor’s good fortune. The economy is going to turn around and if you make wise choices now, you will be in a better position when the turn does come…and it will!

Use this economy to your advantage and purchase a foundation herd while you can get more for
your dollar. Purchase the best possible female for your breeding program, one which adds those
before “out of reach” bloodlines. It is tempting not to spend any money on a farm business at this time, but at what other time are you going to get such "good buys for your buck"?

We are offering an opportunity for you to purchase some of our young stock at reasonable prices. These bloodlines are some of the best in the Percheron breed and these young fillies are sure to be standouts in a breeding program or in a hitch.

Focus on the future and, like us, you will stay competitive and prosper."

Kathee McGuire
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Katheekj

Post Number: 1633
Posted on Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 09:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is so true. The mare I purchased has 8 foundation Tennessee walking horses in her pedigree. This mare should have cost a lot more than what I paid which is why I am looking at buying a second mare

Christi Christofferson
Breeding Stock
Username: Cchristofferson

Post Number: 126
Posted on Monday, January 25, 2010 - 11:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will not be standing my stallion to any outside mares this year, and I only have one foal on the way which was an "accident." While I was on vacation the mare was put in a pen next to the stallion and she was bred during her foal heat. I have sold most of my mares and am focusing mostly on training and showing the ones I have rather than breeding. I may breed the few mares I have left in a season or two but not for an 2011 foal. I live in Nevada, and even well trained horses with good bloodlines are struggling for a $1000 sale. I may buy more mares later in the year but for now I am not planning on it even though I know the market will pick back up. One advantage of the poor horse economy now, is there will likely be a shortage of futurity horses in the future which will drive prices up again since so many people are not breeding or not breeding as many. Good luck to all of you.

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 1030
Posted on Saturday, February 06, 2010 - 09:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I certainly took it into consideration. I'll be lucky to break even. I may just keep these babies a couple of years and hope by the time I want to sell them, the market will be better.

One of my goals was to get a filly out of my mare, for myself. But I am considering just buying a good horse to ride, while the market is poor, and selling her baby later, when the prices are better.

I will be selling one mare, because she hasn't worked out very well for me, but I hope I can get what I paid for her!

But I do feel a responsibility. There is the concern of the excess horses. As the foaling dates get closer, it is becoming more crucial for me to decide.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US