SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

2008 Foal Updates

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » 2008 Foal Updates « Previous Next »

Linda Bauer --
Breeding Stock
Username: Llazyt

Post Number: 315
Posted on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 10:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thought it would be fun to see the coming 2 yr olds. This is Bailey playing with my 6 yr old gelding on a cold winter morning. the last week has been while below zero with wind chill 20 to 30 below. So here they are in their winter cloths.
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z217/llazyt/bailey/rearing.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z217/llazyt/bailey/baileysoda-1.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z217/llazyt/bailey/baileysoda.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z217/llazyt/bailey/sodabailey-1.jpg
Bailey is the appy

Rusti
Breeding Stock
Username: Rusti

Post Number: 503
Posted on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 12:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awww they are too cute! I never catch my horses being silly or playing. Bailey is GORGEOUS!

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 2744
Posted on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 12:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Linda, Bailey is STILL one of my favorites!! Beautiful!

Kay B. Jones,Nova born 2/24
Breeding Stock
Username: Kaybjones

Post Number: 435
Posted on Monday, January 04, 2010 - 06:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got an offer to possibly sell Nova for them to use as a roping horse. I don't think I can do it, I'm sooooo attached. I will probably never have another baby. But I know he will never reach his full potential with me. My husband doesn't think I'll ever ride him even after he's trained. A 2 or 3 year old horse with me- an amatuer.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 2618
Posted on Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 06:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kay~don't short change yourself. I ride my now 6 year old that I bred and raised and look forward to riding my 2 year old in the next year. Just lots of time spend on the ground and then I always lunge first before climbing aboard so that they can get all the energy out. He may be as good as gold undersaddle....confidence girl!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 436
Posted on Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 09:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the encouragement, Jan!!! I can't see me selling him. I think he's beautiful.

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 1041
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 10:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The horses look great! Bailey is gorgeous!!! Thank-you for the pictures.

Makes me want to contact the new owner of Poco and take a picture. I think I will. Thanks for the inspiration.

Kay, I am chicken at the idea of riding a green broke (or no broke) horse. I'd ride anything-and I mean anything-when I was young. Not now, but Jan, I know what you are saying. I have seen horses gentle broke-no buck-ever. Not allowed to in the round pen with a saddle on for the first time. Seems to work. So maybe I shouldn't be so worried about it.

Hard to imagine that Poco (or Bailey-or Nova or all the rest) is ready for a saddle!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 438
Posted on Friday, March 05, 2010 - 08:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have put a saddle on him and walked with a lead rope for about a mile around my place. Then I unsaddled him and climbed on my steps and completely laid over him with my feet off the ground. He didn't even budge. I lean on him often just so he can feel my weight. The other day he did get nervous when our tractor went by him and boy he can run and cut. I don't want any part of that. My horse club is putting on a despook clinic at my place in April. I plan to take Nova through it. We have lots of items to sack him out with or cross or go through.

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1052
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2010 - 12:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's great Kay. A despook clinic is a great idea!

I did start very early with Poco; I rubbed him all over and hugged him, rubbed him with plastic bags and ropes and things. He was just hard to halter and lead! I hope to have a better experience with my new babies.

I wish you the best with Nova. He sounds like a nice boy. I think the fact you can lay across him, saddled, is a real good sign. Sounds like you love him a lot. So what if he never reaches his, "full potential." He can maybe reach his full potential with you-for full potential is whatever you want him to do.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 439
Posted on Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 04:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I suppose you're right CJ. If he develops into a calm, obediant trail horse , that would be what I'd love him to be. So what if he doesn't cut, rope cattle, run barrels, etc.

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1083
Posted on Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 04:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My thoughts exactly. My mares are bred to be cow horses, but I am breeding for color (and conformation-as always) and Western Pleasure, this year. I know some would say I am wasting their potential, but I know what I want.

Hope Nova turns out to be perfect for you.

charlene birdsall, Jetta born 3/20/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Charlie67

Post Number: 1108
Posted on Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 07:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello all! I know I've been missing in action forever, but that is because I haven't really been doing anything with my horses because of my bad back. Jetta will be 2 years old on Saturday the 20th of March. I have been trying to sell her on Dreamhorse since December 2009 without any luck. Here are a few pics from last summer : http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa97/mollytomale-photos/Jetta%20in%20June%202 009/100_0604.jpg http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa97/mollytomale-photos/Jetta%20in%20June%202 009/100_0606.jpg http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa97/mollytomale-photos/Jetta%20in%20June%202 009/100_0623.jpg http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa97/mollytomale-photos/Jetta%20in%20June%202 009/100_0627.jpg http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa97/mollytomale-photos/Jetta%20in%20June%202 009/000_0049.jpg and here is my hairball now lol http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa97/mollytomale-photos/march%202010/03100010 20a.jpg http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa97/mollytomale-photos/march%202010/03100010 20c.jpg Linda, Bailey is so handsome! Hi Kay, sounds like Nova has turned out to be a good boy. Keep up the good work. CJ, how are your babies doing? Anyone here from Judy or Cindy in awhile?

cindy werner, fate born 4/05/2008
Breeding Stock
Username: Cricketsmom

Post Number: 382
Posted on Friday, March 19, 2010 - 07:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi guys,
i posted some pics on 2008 foals now yearlings..linda, bailey is cute, and big, i think something is wrong with fate, he is tiny compared to all of your guys..he is the same age as yours, but not the same size, boy i hope he is big enough for me to ride..it is so nice to her from you charlene, let me know what you think of his size, he is small, good boy though

[IMG]http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd31/tizprime2/108_7653.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd31/tizprime2/03-04-10951752.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd31/tizprime2/108_6291.jpg[/IMG]

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 383
Posted on Saturday, March 20, 2010 - 11:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

happy birthday to jetta!!!!! wow, 2 years old today, i have 2 weeks before fate turns 2..

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1117
Posted on Saturday, March 20, 2010 - 11:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Cindy, I can't believe Jetta is 2 years today. Time sure does fly. I think you should wait until Fate is 2 1/2 years. That is what I did with Jetta's momma, Baby. Fate is not much smaller than Jetta. The last time I taped her she was about 14.2 hands.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 385
Posted on Saturday, March 20, 2010 - 09:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think fate is about 14.1 hands, jetta is stocky, iam hoping fate gets that way. iam glad he did so well with the saddle, no bucking or anything, so hopfully he will be ok to break..
cj,are you breeding paints??or quarter horses?? fate is quarter horse/appy..
kay,i hope you dont sell nova, you have raised him from birth,your confidence is getting better i think you will do fine..

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1120
Posted on Saturday, March 20, 2010 - 11:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jetta is a real tank huh? Fate is plenty stocky to me. That is good he didn't buck with the saddle. My mare Baby was real easy to break, no buck. How tall is your husband? When my trainer first got on Baby, she was 2 1/2 and about 14.2 or 14.3 hands and really stocky. Which was good because my trainer is like 5'7" and 170 or so pounds. If I were going to keep Jetta I would wait until she was 21/2 yrs.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 440
Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2010 - 03:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, our babies are two now. Nova is getting as tall as his momma in the rear. He weighs by a weight tape about 910 lbs. So still a little filling out to do. But I want those growth plates to be well established. So probably won't have him trained for saddle till about fall of this year or spring of next. I have thought about hiring the trainer to come help me to get him ready. Round pen work, leading well, preliminary skills for saddling and reining. I Need help with that. I am not sure what to do.
Fate does not look that little . He is beautiful with that blanket. I bet he'll be fine. Some of those cowboys from long ago had smaller ponies I think.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 389
Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2010 - 08:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thank you kay, would love to see pics of nova...sounds like you have a good plan for training,you have been working with him it sounds like, thats great!!!yea, i think iam going to wait till at least 3 to actually break fate, give him time to grow and fill out..but, we still work with him, saddle and driving alot..
good to hear from you kay

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 441
Posted on Friday, March 26, 2010 - 09:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boy, he was showing his oats yesterday. Being very unruly. Wouldn't let me get near him with a halter, would run away and buck and cut. Soooooo, decided it was time for a little work. That afternoon I haltered him and led him on a lead work with lots of whoas and backs, he behaved like a perfect gentleman. That's more like it.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 391
Posted on Saturday, March 27, 2010 - 05:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GOOD FOR YOU KAY, TRUST ME, I KNOW THESE GUYS CAN SHOW THERE STUFF, FATE DOES..IAM PROUD OF YOU TO TAKE CHARGE AND NOT LET HIM GET AWAY WITH THAT BEHAVIOR, YOU SHOULD BE PROUD OF YOURSELF..

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 443
Posted on Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 05:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Cindy. Boy, I wish we could meet each other. I've never met you but know we would hit it off and could talk hours together. I feel like I know you. Took Nova into the round pen yesterday and finally he's getting the idea to go around. Kind of fusses with a few bucks and kicks but will run. Now trying to calm him down to trot when I ask and switch directions without too much pressure. Tied him up the other day to a post and he got himself ALL wrapped around. I had tied him short but he managed to pull it around his head with a leg over the top. Could have been a disaster but he and I remained calm and I untied it to let him loose. I was glad to see that in case he ever gets into a lot of trouble. He just looked very confused, not panicky.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 392
Posted on Monday, March 29, 2010 - 10:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi kay,i wish we could meet too, i dont have alot of friends that like horses the way i do, i guess thats why i like it so much on this site, i can talk and at the same time learn all about these guys...iam VERY proud of you not panicking over that, you did very good and you know they can sence when your frieghned...you have come a long way with him, you two are going to make a great team together..i actually put all of my weight on fate this weekend, never even cared...i was soooo excited and a littel scared, i leaned all the way over him and just stood there, couple minutes while my husband was holding him, ears werent back nothing!!!!i was proud...my husband is teaching him to drive with saddle on, he is doing great..still a little biting here and there, mainly with me...why cant i get it through to him iam not a play mate!!!!he is not like that with my husband...and i disciplin him too...thats really nice you can have a clinic at your house with your horse club..i wish i could do that, would love to take fate to a clinic like that, maybe someday..

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 447
Posted on Monday, March 29, 2010 - 06:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would love to learn to drive him. Gets him ready for reining without actually being on top of him. Doesn't it feel great that you can lay all your weight on him and he doesn't freak. He TRUSTS you. Nova NEVER bit- but like they say never say never, He is starting to nibble now- on my hair when I'm leaning over him, on my coat, on my shoe. I have first pushed him off and he just thought I was playing so I've elbowed him pretty hard like it was his fault but the best way to get him to stop is CORRECTION---I pull on his lead rope sharply and say "NO" in a gruff voice. He really responds to discipline and it does not have to be that harsh. He doesn't catch on or mind when its a subtle reminder. Today he was limping and the farrier said he had a little swollen tendon. I sprayed it with cold hose water for about ten minutes. He says twice a day. Hate to see my baby hurt.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 393
Posted on Wednesday, March 31, 2010 - 09:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi kay, how is nova's tendon? any new pics of him? here is fate working, how does he look??
[IMG][IMG]http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd31/tizprime2/100_8184.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd31/tizprime2/100_8213.jpg[/IMG]

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 448
Posted on Wednesday, March 31, 2010 - 10:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, Cindy!! He looks like a big horse. You'll have him to ride in no time. I'm going to have to look into that driving. That looks neat. I need to do more with Nova. I think the tendon is doing better. After I hosed it he didn't seem to limp any more and it wasn't real bad. I think he must have just turned it or something when the farrier came and Nova thought he was dying. He's not used to pain. He was leaning all over me when the farrier was lifting his off hoof. Thanks for asking though. I'll try to take some pics and show you how pretty he is. Didn't we have some beautiful babies?

judy cervantes
Yearling
Username: Judy

Post Number: 79
Posted on Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - 02:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi cindy and Kay.Its great to see everyone doing so good, chenoa is doing great with his traing but we have had another set back,he has apithisitis in his right knee so vet said to go easy on him for about 6 months,we will do some straight line training and putting saddle on and bridling,he also has started wind sucking on my pipe corrals and i was wondering if any of you have had a horse do this,i have been looking into the cause and think it might be a mineral def.what can i give him to help him stop this unwanted behavier.He is doing soo good and just hate that he has started this HELP if anyone has an answer for me.Thanks

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 450
Posted on Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 09:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mine has been chewing on some firewood I have stacked. Have also heard it could be mineral def. Sure don't want him to crib. I just can't believe its minerals, though. I feed Strategy, hoof minerals, even have a mineral lick some of the time. Ithink he's just bored and getting into stuff. Let me know what you all think.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 395
Posted on Saturday, April 17, 2010 - 08:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi judy, what is that???did he injure himself? i think too bored, fate chews on my wood only when he is standing and at feeding time, but hopefully not cribbing... i dont see him doing this often...

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3210
Posted on Saturday, April 17, 2010 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cindy, Fate has always been one of my favorite 2008 foals....I think he's looking great!! Hard to believe he's grown up, and now in training! Still a very nice looking boy.

Kay, I haven't seen any pics of Nova recently? Are you hiding him away? LOL

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 451
Posted on Saturday, April 17, 2010 - 05:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana , thank you for asking . I promise I will try to take some pictures soon if I can remember how to do that photobucket stuff. He's still beautiful, but getting rather spunky. Really need to work with him on respect and getting out of my space. I have got to quit letting him come and nuzzle my head and put his head on my shoulder.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 452
Posted on Saturday, April 17, 2010 - 05:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here it is: http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc38/kaybjones/CECdespookclinic3Apr10-Kaywith colt3.jpg

judy cervantes
Yearling

Post Number: 80
Posted on Sunday, April 18, 2010 - 03:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Cindy,the vet said he was growing to fast and it would take about 3-6 months for it to get better. you have a big grass pasture for your horses rite? i dnt think pasture horses crib as much as horses that dnt have 24/7 grass,i just hope he stops.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 396
Posted on Monday, April 19, 2010 - 09:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi diana, thanks so much for the compliment, it means alot to me...i have been trying so hard to get him to respect me and my space, having a little problem with this...he has respect for other people, but not me..we are working on this, so hopefull he gains this respect...i do work him in the round pen inside my arena, but he acts up the minute i take him outside of that??what is this all about??
judy, that was fates problem when he was a baby, he was growing too fast, so i had to feed him supplements, and decrease feed...i do have a big grass pasture they are in,i dont see him cribbing alot, mainly when its feeding time..
kay, wow, nova sure looks good, all that white, flashy!!!!!

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3226
Posted on Monday, April 19, 2010 - 05:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

kay, wow has he grown!!! he looks great! I think we had the best foal crop ever on ER in 2008, for sure!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 456
Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2010 - 06:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, we did. Saddled Nova up today and went for a walk on a lead. We went through puddles, over logs, on tarps, around cones. Did great. He is getting as big as his momma. Had to girth him at the same hole as momma. Probably his girth was a little looser than I do for momma since I trail ride on her. But He didn't care. Worked with clipppers too and did some round pen work. I was dying to get on him but "no guts". I guesss I'll save that for the trainer, whenever but possibly soon. Still worried about riding a two or three year old with my rookie ability.

judy cervantes
Yearling

Post Number: 81
Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2010 - 11:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi cindy,what kind of supplements did u have to give him? did he limp when he trotted? what did you feed him? is he better now? sorry for all the questions.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 397
Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2010 - 07:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i will check today what the supplemnts are?? yes he was limping, so i had to decrease feed and use this supplement, it made a big difference, he is better now, i still use it, but cut down alot, sine he got better...i will let you know tonight

judy cervantes
Yearling

Post Number: 82
Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2010 - 12:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank You Cindy,all i give chenoa is orchard grass hay,the vet said to cut him back on that to 15 pnds aday,did you limit the hay to fate or limit his time out on pasture grass?Thank you for your help,i worry about chenoa and want him healthy again.Thank you!!!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 398
Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 08:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi judy, no, i never did limit the amount of hay he ate,vet said it was the grain and the amount i was given him...he said it wasnt the hay or grass, just the grain, and what kind, and supplements...so how is chenoa doing?? i hope better, do you feed year round grain?? i dont, only in winter..

judy cervantes
Yearling

Post Number: 83
Posted on Friday, April 30, 2010 - 12:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Cindy,no i dont feed any grain,he gets grass hay and a little alfalfa,when he was little he got mare and foal supplement,i have started giving him MSM hope this helps,other wise he is the same.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 399
Posted on Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 09:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi guys,
how are you all doing??well, fate was broke 4 days ago!!!! well, i havent been on him, i was way too chicken to do that..we have a bunch of peole working on our other house to get ready to rent, and i was talking to one of the workes, who was gualamalin, and just by talk, i asked him if any of his friends works with horses, i have seen alot of farms use them to break there horses, so i just asked, and what do you know, he actually does it!!!!!i told him about fate, and problems i have with him, esp. disrespectful, etc...he asked if anybody has been on him, i said no way...so, later at the end of the day, he said he will take a look at him, and boy did he!!!! wow, i just about fell to my knees,literally, couldnt believe my eyes,the man just got right up on him, bareback,only halter and lead rope!!!!he was ponying with my older horse, i just couldnt believe my eyes, and he only bucked him off once, then he got right back on, and never bucked again!!!i havent been on him since, tried to lean on him with saddle, but no good,boy i would love to have the confidence these guys have,in there country, he said thats how they learn to ride when young, just get on and go..what do you guys think of this??
[IMG]http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd31/tizprime2/108_8500.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd31/tizprime2/108_8510.jpg[/IMG]

Kim Peavy
Breeding Stock
Username: Lovemysinbad

Post Number: 561
Posted on Friday, May 14, 2010 - 01:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, Cindy that is amazing. Bonesy will be 2 June, next month. I don't think he is ready yet though...he is a big warmblood and I'm afraid his bones are not ready. Guess I need to have my vet take a look at him and see what she thinks regarding his development. Mind wise, he is ready, he's so laid back, it's ridiculous. I will try and get some pix of him up soon. He is right at 16h high now and just shining so pretty, he has shed out beautifully already. I cannot believe that man just jumped right on your horse...that is crazy HAHA

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 400
Posted on Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 07:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi kim,
my neighbors raise hanovarians and they say they dont break theres till 3 or 4..wonder why so late, yours is going to be huge, i dont think they big guys dont stop growing until 3 or 4..and hes 16h now? fate is only 14.2 i think hes done growing height wise..i would love to see pics of bonesy..those warmbloods are so darn big, but so gentle, man i wish mine was laidback like that, fate is far from laidback...thats why iam not going to be the one to ride him yet..i will let someone else do that part, i just work with him on lunge line,little stuff like that.. how is bonesy on lunge line?

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3378
Posted on Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 09:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that is awesome Cindy, though I wouldn't spend much time on him as a 2 yr old. I know it's easy to want to rush in and get to ride your baby, but you don't want him to be sway backed, and he's just not ready for the big boy stuff yet. I'd still be doing alot of ground work, and climbing on maybe once a week or so for 30 min sessions. More than that can have a very negative impact on a young horses bones/back and mindset.

Kim Peavy
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 562
Posted on Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 09:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Cindy....I have not even put him on a lunge line yet. Back before I bred his mother, I had taken her to a cowboy type trainer who told use he find the best ones to break are the ones who have had little handling and no training as far as saddle breaking, etc., so we pretty much have stuck with that. He ties, gets his feet done, loads in trailer, etc., but I really have not done any real work training him physically. He just has been allowed to run in a big field for exercise. I was also afraid of straining his joints/bones lunging him in circles. I'll try and get some pix today and get them on photobucket. K

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 401
Posted on Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 08:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think your absolutely right diana, idont feel he is ready to be ridden yet, i didnt plan on riding him at all until he was 3, didnt expect that at all when they rode him.. i know iam not ready to ride him, and i dont feel he knows enough ground work nor manners to move forward, its nice to know though, he is not a rodeo clown when someone does get on him...thank you for your advice, i do appreciate it, iam soooo new to all this training, i can always use any advice given to me...
kim, would love to see pics of this guy!!!i also heard that about those cowboys out west, those are the best, bombproof horses i have heard...

WSTRNPLEASUREPAINTS
Neonate
Username: Jmshowhorses

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 10:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw some nice 2 yr. olds! Didn't read though but nice colt, looks like a grat snaffle bit prospect to me, I start my colts at 18 months, but am VERY cautious of putting too much weight on their fragile growing bones! It's amazing what you can get done on the ground! I just got on a two year old, that was a little late of a bloomer, and he is not behind, as he is pretty much finished, at ride two. All that ground work AMAZINGLY follows right on up. I do starve myself, and am a bag of bones though ... 6 ft. and 130lbs, when I'm not training colts, I am 170. Part of the show biz, I guess??? Rather not eat , than risk these refined boned little colts precious legs! Anyways it's going to be a great show season, I have seen LOTS of promising prospects, for 2010 and APHA is getting right up there with AQHA, as far as refinement, and overall WELL bred colored quarter horses every year!!! These colts, are trained when they come out of the womb anymore, pretty soon I will be out of work... Darn YOU AI... Just Kidding, GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

WSTRNPLEASUREPAINTS
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 10:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OH KIM, FOLLOW THE ADVICE YOU WERE GIVEN, IF EVERYONE DID MY JOB WOULD BE SOO MUCH EASIER, AS THAT IS SUCH GOOD ADVICE, AND AS A TRAINER SOOO TRUE!!!! SOUNDS LIKE THAT COWBOY TYPE DUDE KNEW WHAT HE WAS TALKING ABOUT! I HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH A COLT I STARTED FROM SCRATCH! ONLY ONES THAT HAVE ..."HAD PREVIOUS TRAINING DONE". I LIKE THEM TO LEAD, & TIE, CLIP, exc... BUT NO MORE, AS I AM GETTING TOO OLD TO RISK MY ASS!

Kim Peavy
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 563
Posted on Sunday, May 16, 2010 - 12:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WPP - thank you, I've hoped I was doing the right thing...but I guess, if I really couldn't mess him up if I did nothing with him haha. He is a friesian sporthorse, so he has pretty big bones and I definately did not want to do anything to mess his bones/joints up by trying to do too much too early. He is only 25% friesian, alot of TB and some paint/qh.....so alot of bone....here is a page of him at 3 months old at his inspection

http://www.riveroaksfarm.net/LimitedPaintedEdition.html

He is at my friends place now, so I can't get an updated pix today, but will soon. K

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1310
Posted on Monday, May 17, 2010 - 12:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is so cool seeing the 2008 "foals." They do grow up, don't they?

HaHa WPP (hope it is okay to use that short cut for your name) Don't worry, you'll always have people like me around taht need to hire a trainer! My babies lead and tie. They aren't coming up to get haltered yet, but the colt follows me after lessons but the filly does not! Runs back to her mother and sometimes kicks out at her or rears up. She is so sassy!

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1311
Posted on Monday, May 17, 2010 - 01:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cindy, that is amazing. I have to tell you, I have not been able to tie my mare. Well, when I wasn't watching, my trainer tied her, but really just looped the rope a few times over the rail. Well that horse stood there the entire time she was working with the filly! I couldn't believe it.

She said, "I just expect them to do what I want, and usually they do." I have been applying that philosophy, and what a difference!!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 402
Posted on Monday, May 17, 2010 - 08:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI KIM, WOW, HE IS AWSOM!!!JUST LOVE HIS COLOR, HE IS ONE BIG BOY!!CANT WAIT TO SEE SOME RECENT PICS, I CANT BELIEVE HOW BIG HE IS, GUESS IAM SO USE TO SEEING MY LITTLE GUY, ONLY 14.2 AT 2 YEARS OLD...
CJ, THATS FUNNY, SOUNDS ALOT LIKE HOW FATE IS WITH OTHERS, IAM TRYING SOOOO HARD TO GET HIM TO LISTEN AND RESPECT ME, I REALLY AM, I WORK WITH HIM AT LEAST 3-4 SOMETIMES MORE A WEEK...SHORT SESSIONS TOO, ALL GROUNDWORK AT 20 MIN. AT A TIME..HE IS GETTING BETTER, BUT STILL FEEL HE PLAYS WITH ME, ANY SUGGESTIONS??
WPP, I WOULD HAVE LOVE TO BEEN ABLE TO SEND MY LITTLE GUY TO SOMEONE LIKE YOU EARLIER, BUT AROUND HERE, IN MARYLAND, IT IS VERY EXPENSIVE TO SEND THEM OUT TO GET TRAINED..SO, I HAVE TO TRY TO DO IT MYSELF, AND WITH HELP FROM MY FRIENDS, WHO HAVE TRAINED HORSES BEFORE,HE IS LEARNING, NOT A MEAN HORSE, BUT DOES HAVE THAT APPY ATTITUDE, WHICH IAM NOW ABLE TO READ HIM, WHEN HE GETS READY TO ACT UP...
SO, I HOPE I AM NOT RUINING HIM BY WORKING WITH HIM ALOT, ESP. JUST DOING BASIC GROUNDWORK, I FIGURE THIS CANT HARM HIM??RIGHT??

WSTRNPLEASUREPAINTS
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, May 17, 2010 - 08:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CONSISTANTCY, CONSISTANCY, CONSISTANCY! He sounds like he is intelligent, and I would love to work with the fellow, I LOVE SMART! But, he HAS to respect you from the ground, and messing with 2lb, of brain IS MUCH easier than battling 1200 lbs of body mass. This smart little guy WILL test you, and get away with what he can, as SO WOULD I OF WHEN I WAS A KID. Or so my mother says? Just be firm, and consistant. If you say whoa, and he steps 2 more steps, back him up 2 steps. AND always keep the consistancy, and soon he will realize you aren't the one to test, because it's not fun anymore. I believe you will learn to read him over time! He talks just like us, but with his body, and ears... When you understand them they look at you different! Horses are so AMAZING , as they are SO intuitive, and can almost read our thoughts, as they are prey animals. STILL TO THIS DAY,in a class, and I am nervous as hell... I have to clear my mind, cause if I anticipate the announcer is going to ask us to walk... I know my colt will slam down his rear prematurely, My colts pick up a thought as I unknowingly, make that slight change in my body.(OR THEY READ MY MIND)?

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 403
Posted on Friday, May 28, 2010 - 08:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi guys,
heres fate lunging, doing so good with saddle..iam feeling more secure doing this, your so right wpp, iam really starting to learn to read his moves,when he is going to act up and when he is not...i really look forward to working with him.. just hope he doesnt get too bored, like people say he will... i just want to take it slowly at my pace, and lunging him every other day, is making me feel comfy..i want to start doing different things, like putting poles, tarps, how do i slowly introduce this?/
[IMG]http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd31/tizprime2/108E8718.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd31/tizprime2/108E8722.jpg[/IMG]

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 405
Posted on Saturday, June 05, 2010 - 10:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

[IMG]http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd31/tizprime2/108_8774.jpg[/IMG]
I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i got on fate for the 1st time..here we are, the two of us, and he was a gentelmen..i was so impressed, all this work is paying off, i just sat on him a few times, nothing big..this made me so happy, and sad in a way, he is growing up, not my little boy anymore..

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US