SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Help!!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Help!! « Previous Next »

Emily S; Atticus born 4/29/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Cowgrl88

Post Number: 254
Posted on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 10:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey everyone! I really need a helpful tip on a problem that I am having with my yearling. Lately, within the past week, when I go in to the pen with him he will charge me and turn his hindquarters to me and kick out. Ummm, I am not sure what's going on and I really want to stop this behavior right away. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks. And yes, he has been gelded, so I know that's not the problem.

(Message edited by cowgrl88 on December 03, 2009)

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 2715
Posted on Friday, December 04, 2009 - 10:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How long ago was he gelded? I would carry a long whip or a stick when you go. When he charges you, make a LOUD and SERIOUS yell and lash BACK. Strike hard and fast so he knows you mean business! Be consistent, and do not let him approach you without coming slowly and head first! Depending on pen size, I'd then continue on to work him freestyle all over the pen (if it's small enough to get a good work out) for about 15 minutes. When he's had a little time to work it off, approach him. If he does it again, do the same thing all over again. If you dont' teach him who's boss now, he'll assume it's him forever which will lead to multiple other problems....stallion or not!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 255
Posted on Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 12:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He was gelded like six months ago or so. THank you for your advice! And when you say "work him" do you mean lounge him around the pen??

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 2717
Posted on Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 01:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, that's what I mean. Think like a horse, and react like a horse would. If he did that to his mother, what would she do to him? If he rushed another horse that was dominant in the wild, and spun to kick them, that dominant horse would strike back furiously or be knocked down a notch in the pecking order. If you want to be on the top, you have to be the dominant horse! Be LOUD, be FAST, and make a lasting impression! Carry a lounge whip, when he approaches in this fashion, scream at him, smack the whip on the ground or at his feet, and keep him moving round and round in the pen. When you let up on him, he's allowed to stop. Ignore him at this point...if he approaches you in a head on nice type fashion, reward him... If he rushes you again, do it again. he'll eventually get the picture. It won't be any fun rushing you if he knows he's going to be bullied back. It puts you in a position of dominance, and forces him to either be nice or have a little lesson about it. He'll come around. Be diligent! Always end on a good note with the result YOU want, not with him winning. You don't want him to be afraid of you, you just want him to respect you.

(Message edited by kdgilger on December 05, 2009)

(Message edited by kdgilger on December 05, 2009)

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bonny

Post Number: 1892
Posted on Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 05:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree totally with what Diana said! That was great advice!
Another thing to establish authority and respect is to approach him when he is grazing in the pasture. Slowly and cautiously, and move him out of his grazing area. How you do this is to walk up to him in a non threatening manner( carry your whip) when your getting close ( horses assume about 13 foot area as personal space) raise your hands and drive him out. Stand in the spot he was grazing. He will look at you when he moves on. Then he will start grazing again, repeat this process several time until after he moves out he lowers his head and wiggles his bottom lip. This is a sign from him he sees you as "Lead Mare". The point of this is not to chase him, or be aggressive, just make him move away. He will be more respectful of your space and he will see you as alpha.
Is he trained to a halter and can he lead? If so I would def start deeper ground work with him to reinforce good behavior.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 256
Posted on Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 07:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you guys so much. Yes, he can lead, and I am still working with him on standing tied. He loves to be brushed and all of that, but I don't lounge him for long periods of time at all because I heard that that can damage their legs while they are still growing.

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bonny

Post Number: 1893
Posted on Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 08:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats great he will lead. Start working with him on ground and he will come around.Lounging is great for them, 15 minutes is sufficient.And remember lounging is teaching for future saddle work not just mindless circles. So use that time to teach him manners first then work him up to cues. He is testing you and dont let him down lol. Make sure to teach him to back also!
How about some pics?

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 257
Posted on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 03:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you, Holly :-). Here's a couple of pics of him that aren't very good but they are the most recent ones I have of him. Lol. These were taken a couple of months ago.
http://s559.photobucket.com/albums/ss40/countrygrl32288/Atticus/

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US