SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Training question

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Training question « Previous Next »

Emily S; Atticus born 4/29/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Cowgrl88

Post Number: 249
Posted on Thursday, November 05, 2009 - 02:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey guys, I am still having the little problem of my yearling trying to walk ahead of me when I lead him. Does anyone recommend maybe using a nose chain, if used properly? I have tried just about everything else with him, and it doesn't seem to be working.. If anyone could help me out, I'd appreciate it!

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 1006
Posted on Friday, November 06, 2009 - 05:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw a training video and if I remember correctly, it was Julie Goodnight. Her hand that is closest to the horse's head while she is leading it, is the boundary line. If it goes ahead, she tugs, then backs the horse up. She never allows it ahead of her hand while she is leading it.

Good luck. These little buggers can be so pushy! But we luv 'em anyway!

Esther Johnson
Weanling
Username: Estherj92

Post Number: 34
Posted on Friday, November 06, 2009 - 08:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recommend the Dually halter...a product that Monty Roberts came up with to help remedial horses. Instead of a metal chain, it has a nylon attachment built into the halter itself that goes over the nose and has a ring on each side to snap into. It acts the same way as a chain, (i.e, tightening when the horse pulls against it) but doesn't cause pain, just discomfort as it tightens down. If you buy it, I'd try to get the instructional dvd that comes with it. Also, this halter is not by any means limited to helping a horse that doesn't want to lead properly...it can help with so much else! ...just a suggestion, hope it helps. :-)

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 250
Posted on Saturday, November 07, 2009 - 10:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you everyone :-)

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 251
Posted on Saturday, November 07, 2009 - 10:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the way, how much does a Dually halter cost and where is the best way to get one??

Rebecca Cook
Neonate
Username: Rcook

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, January 17, 2010 - 02:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Something to consider is that nylon burns, especially on fine skin. I use only cotton leads and sometimes with babies, until they are being fit on on for in hand classes, I will loop the cotton over their nose,a little lower than the noseband. Very mild and works pretty good, if they should happen to slip loose of you, usually there is minimal injury versus a chain or permanantly affixed strap. Just a thought.

RAS
Neonate
Username: Bbr10

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 06:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Julie Goodnight has a good idea on that one...so does Clinton Anderson I'm sure! Anyway, I watched Julie's show on a pushy horse the other day and she suggested holding a whip and if she tries to walk ahead of you, give her a nice pop in the chest with the whip. Thats just my two cents. Good luck!

cindy werner, fate born 4/05/2008
Breeding Stock
Username: Cricketsmom

Post Number: 431
Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2010 - 09:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi emily, my colt is 2 also, he was born on the 5th of april 08..he had a bad case of this, with biting also,still has this issue..but, what i did and still do if he gets this way, is like ras said, carry a whip and if he gets ahead of you give a pop to chest area and i have him back up a few feet also..they hate to back up, so this is a punishment.he reacted to this very well, and he is a appy, so double the attitude!!iam riding him now, about a month in training, just at a walk..doing good..but try this carry whip at all times,if he gets out of hand, tap on chest and back up..

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 1371
Posted on Friday, August 06, 2010 - 05:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have used the "whip" idea too, although I substituted a crop. It does work well. Since there is a wrist strap for easy carrying that prevents dropping it by accident, that is a plus too.

Be careful not to be too overly corrective with it though, as the young ones can really grow fearful of it. Just let the horse think they are running into it themselves, which they are.

I've also used it as a corrective device on the older horse (as opposed to a training device for the young horse). In the second case I really get after them, with a pop of the crop coupled with a loud voice.

This works for me anyway. Good luck.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US