SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Faith Choked... AGAIN!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Faith Choked... AGAIN! « Previous Next »

Heather Weir
Breeding Stock
Username: Ctcountrygurl

Post Number: 128
Posted on Friday, October 30, 2009 - 10:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So at 7 months old, Faith choked again. I thankfully caught it right when it started, so the vet was out within the hour to tube her and check her out. This is so frustrating!!! Our next step is to get her scoped out to see if there is any inherited defect of her esophagus that may be causing the choke. I just don't know what else to do! I just want to make sure she gets the best care possible... Any advice?

Samantha
Breeding Stock
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 872
Posted on Saturday, October 31, 2009 - 12:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heather, I have a filly with a developmental problem.. the muscles in her esophagus are VERY weak. She went downhill quick, and ended up spending a long time in ICU. Anyways, she recovered. She was only a month and a half old when she came home from the hospital, we weaned her because she was aspirating and had gotten pnuemonia. Anyways, choking was also a major concern, and still is.

For the first month I wet her Omolene and Equine Junior down, and fave her a very soft wetted down grass hay. How old is Faith now? My filly didn't have the condition when she was born, something (some of the best vets in the United States can't figure out what...) caused it. I doubt your filly has what mine does, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. We discovered this by an endoscopy. I'd just be very careful about what she's eating. Maybe feed her in more frequent, smaller meals. Make sure she's eating really soft hay, etc..

Keep us posted, I hope your girl is okay.

Heather Weir
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 129
Posted on Saturday, October 31, 2009 - 04:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Faith is 7 months old now but it just seems weird that if she had some kind of developmental problem, I would expect her to be doing this more often... I'll be soaking her hay, grain,etc. to be on the safe side. What's the cost now-adays for scoping? Thanks for your concern, I just am upset about having to go through this two times in such a short period...

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 1009
Posted on Friday, November 06, 2009 - 07:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heather, I'm sorry this is happening. Must scare you to death. I can only offer a few very basic things, which you may have already tried.

1. As Samantha said, several small meals. Some horses will bolt their food, especially if fed only two times a day. Wet her food.
2. Get an easily digested grain, such as Sure Choice. The grain is softer and less coarse than most grains and pellets.
3. Put rocks or something in the feed bowl or hay rack, so she has to eat around them.
4. I wouldn't use cubes of any kind.

I hope you get to the bottom of it soon and hope she responds to your more basic attempts, without needing medical intervention again. I'm crossing my fingers for you.

Samantha, I'm sorry this happened to your girl.

Heather Weir
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 130
Posted on Friday, November 06, 2009 - 09:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you so much Samantha and Cjskip. Yes, everytime this happens I just get so upset. She's been on injectible antibiotics all this week (of course she hates me now because I keep giving her shots, 2 times per day). I've been soaking her grain to be nice and mushy and been sweeping off the mats and letting her eat off the floor. I just don't know why she would choke only two times if she had some kind of defect (of course I'm not complaining, I wouldn't want it to happen ever). I'll be setting up an appointment for scoping but I just get so frustrated about it... I'm afraid to put her on another grain because I want to make sure she's on a good diet for healthy growth (have her on a complete grain so that if the hay isn't up to par like it is this year) then she will have a great protein source and balanced nutrition...

Cjskip
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 1012
Posted on Friday, November 06, 2009 - 10:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You didn't mention how many times a day you feed her?

I wonder, does she show signs of allergies? Or is there a lot of dust? I just wonder if her throat is dry. Just a thought.

Samantha
Breeding Stock
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 880
Posted on Saturday, November 07, 2009 - 01:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heather, I think endoscopy exams are around $300, my vet bill was massive, and to be honest I didn't even look at the endosopy cost.. there were so many other things including oxygen therapy, antibiotics, etc.. that were stacking up LOL.

I keep my filly in as wet as an area as possible, meaning NO DUST. None, zero. For a while I had blocked cars from using the turn around in my driveway because they were going by my filly's stall and making dust.

I'd just keep doing what your doing, break it up into as many small meals as possible, this way she isn't scarfing it down.

Keep us posted! I would definately get the endosopy exam done and just see if there is a problem, if not, then you can rule that out and start looking at other possible causes. Could she perhaps have a bad tooth or something? Even though she's young, and it seems a little unlikely... you never know though.

Vicky Castegren
Neonate
Username: Hyperionstudllc

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, November 24, 2009 - 09:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a colt who was doing the same thing. We went over doing the endoscopy and decided to do a blood screen first. My Vet had the same thing happen with one of her babies and found out that there was a selenium deficiency. We had a the same outcome from our blood test. Selenium supplement helped and he no longer chokes.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US