SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Lungeing question

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Lungeing question « Previous Next »

Emily S
Breeding Stock
Username: Cowgrl88

Post Number: 247
Posted on Monday, October 05, 2009 - 09:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello everyone, I have been training my yearling to lunge and I was wondering if I need to wrap his legs for this? I do not lunge him for long periods of time, but he does like to run around a lot, so I was just wondering if this might be something I should do. Thank you!

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 2269
Posted on Monday, October 05, 2009 - 04:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would do very little circles with a yearling. At a walk, this is not a problem, but at a trot and a canter, it could damage the young, growing bones in their legs.

When I lounge Asia, I would do very little circles, I would do a half circle, then walk with her and do another half circle and walk, so on and so on. I was told if the knees are not closed, you can do much damage to their legs.

Samantha
Breeding Stock
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 862
Posted on Monday, October 05, 2009 - 08:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Definately don't lunge a yearling, big no-no. You can do damage even with a full grown horse.

If you want to work him, freelunging in a big arena is an option I guess. I don't wrap young horses legs, I use boots, then they graduate to wraps once they are undersaddle (you can do A LOT of damage if they are not wrapped properly).

Although, why bother lunging a young horse in the first place? If you want to exercise him, perhaps consider ponying him? As far as training goes, there is so much more you can do without lunging. Trailering, bathing, clipping, etc.. or just let them be a horse. They can worry about being lunged when they are three or four, there's no reason to start so early.

Terry Waechter P.R.E. foals
Breeding Stock
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 881
Posted on Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - 10:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we do a lot of in hand work at the walk and a little jogging in a straight line on command. It provides short interesting lessons for the youngster without stress or strain...they learn whoa, back, walk on, trot, stand, sideways moves, turn on the haunches , turn on the forehand etc....all useful when they are older....

RAS
Neonate
Username: Bbr10

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 06:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi I have a foal that was born 13 weeks ago. She is very energetic and sweet as pie..unless you work with her for over 15 minutes lol. Okay so I have been working on leading with her. If she balks give consistent pressure until she gives in and it works. I use Clinton Anderson's training, I am currently watching his 3 shows on breaking to saddle. I am not going to green break my filly until she is 2 years old. She will not be put to work until she is 3 and a half. I need some advice, I have been slowly teaching her to lunge at a walk, just a tiny circle around me and not for long periods of time. (Her mother is WONDERFUL and is completely ok with this) I have even begun entroducing her to standing tied (with mom nearby and for VERY short periods of time.) this is my first foal and want her trained to do all these things asap to prevent dangerous situations later on. (I would rather teach a 200lb baby to stand tied then a 800lb yearling.)I want to know if this is going to hurt her in any possible way? I have even been desensitizing her to heavy blankets over her back and gently hitting her with them and she doesn't mind at all. And she has been coughing a little, no runny nose, etc. but just coughing. Is this normal?

Thanks!

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2970
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 10:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Be aware that lunging young horses is hard on their legs - particularly their joints. Lunging a foal would be incredibly hard on it and I would not recommend it even for short periods.

Brittany Hindes
Yearling
Username: Bhindes

Post Number: 100
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 11:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Ras,

The filly my mare had in 2005 we started tieing her when she was 3 months old. She did great, but we also had mom tied right next to her. Actually I think it helps a lot teaching them all the basics when they still have mom for comfort. She was halter broke by the time she was 2 weeks old and she was already used to being clipped by the time she was 1 week old. I even was training her to pick up her feet as soon as she was halter broke. Because she was born in January and it was so cold and wet still I was not able to introduce the hose until she was 4 months. By the time she was about 4 1/2 months she was getting a regular hosing every weekend and every so often she would even get a bath. We did all this while she was tied and of course mom was right next to her. We had no problems and she never pulled or did anything stupid. Like I said I think it helps a lot when mom is there for comfort. Also I did not start lounging her until she was at least 6 months old. I only free lounged her as I heard tight circles is hard on their joints and could possibly lead to early airthirits. Not sure if this is true but I did not want to take any chances. Hope all this helps.

Brittany

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US