SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Stallion Foaming at the mouth????

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Stallion Foaming at the mouth???? « Previous Next »

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 2567
Posted on Wednesday, August 19, 2009 - 03:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, I know this isn't technically a breeding question, but this is my only breeding stallion and my pride and joy, and he's foaming at the mouth!! I have never seen this before, and have a call in to my vet. But has anyone ever had a horse do this? For 2 mornings, when I go to let him out of his stall, he's foaming at the mouth like when my dog catches a frog....he goes out to graze, and acts normally all day, and has no foam in the evenings...but in the morning, he has the foam. HELP?

Samantha
Breeding Stock
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 824
Posted on Wednesday, August 19, 2009 - 03:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmm, is there anything in his stall that he could be chewing on? I used to own a gelding that would chew on anything he could get his lips around (ropes were a favorite, but rubber mats were acceptable as well), so often time's he was foaming at the mouth.

Is it white throth? Like that of a horse during work? Or could he be choking? Although if it were choke, I'd assume there would be more signs... and he wouldn't be grazing normally.

Right now, I have a 3 1/2 year old Selle Francais gelding who will literally take a mouthful of hay, and dunk it in his water bucket across the stall, then eat it back out of the water bucket. When he's eating, he's almost always "foaming".

BTW, I know how you feel about being protective of the stallion. I've got the vet looking at my boy if for any reason something isn't right. I LOVE my boy too :-)

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2569
Posted on Wednesday, August 19, 2009 - 06:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes! it's white frothy foam like a horse who's been worked hard. He's eating fine,and doesn't seem to have any other signs of anything. I put down some Triazicide for fleas in the barn and the vet thinks he's picking it off the ground. Turns out, it causes ulcers and sores in the mouth if eaten, and is stored in the fat cells....so it builds up over time,and if he's continuously picking it up, she says the next sign I will notice is seizures. Can't have that. So, this evening, I am actually SWEEPING his stall, and bedding it deeply. I also have to water down the barn hallway in an attempt to water in the bug stuff, and she gave me some stuff to rinse his mouth with several times a day to keep sores/ulcers from getting infected. UG....I have used this stuff a million times, and never had a problem with it....leave it to Dynamite!!

mary anne higgins
Breeding Stock
Username: Mary_23

Post Number: 107
Posted on Friday, August 21, 2009 - 05:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana any news on your stallion.
my stallion jedi foams from his mouth every morning especaily when he sees his breakfast coming he looks like a saint bernard with all the drool driping down, you even get it in your mouth when he gives you your morning kiss lol.xx

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2580
Posted on Friday, August 21, 2009 - 09:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey mary anne, his foaming was all but gone this morning, and I think the chlorhexadine I've been rinsing his mouth with has helped. We couldn't find any abcessed teeth, so we assume it was the flea stuff that did it
I have watered it in in the barn, and he no longer has access to it, hopefully that's enough. Vet pulled blood this evening just to be sure. I'll know more tomorrow or monday.

mary anne higgins
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 108
Posted on Sunday, August 23, 2009 - 02:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

fingers crossed youve found out what it was.xx

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bonny

Post Number: 1832
Posted on Sunday, August 23, 2009 - 06:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana, have you gotten the results on Dynamite yet?

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2586
Posted on Sunday, August 23, 2009 - 11:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not yet, i should know more tomorrow. I actually thought he was over whatever it was....as he had quit foaming for a day or 2. This am, it was worse than ever, dripping out of his mouth. He hasn't had access to the flea stuff, and he HAS to have something wrong in his mouth....though he is eating and grazing well...vet is going to bring smaller tools to try and get a better look in his mouth. There are definite downsides to owning such small horses.....and of course, this has to happen to the smallest one i own. I'll keep ya posted

Samantha
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 831
Posted on Monday, August 24, 2009 - 02:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana,

Once when I was riding along with my vet, we went to see a gelding that was foaming at the mouth, hanging his head low, and his tongue was hanging out. Checked him for choke, neuro signs were all fine, then when we pulled his tongue to the side, there was a puncture wound. At first glance, it didn't look bad. However, with some probing, we discovered some wire in there. Pulled the wire, cleaned the wound, put on antibiotics, and he was fine in a week or two I believe.

Good luck, keep us posted!! When is the vet coming?

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1834
Posted on Monday, August 24, 2009 - 02:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana, thats terrible, I am sorry he is still foaming!
I hope the vet can find the problem!
Prayers for our little dynamite!

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 2233
Posted on Monday, August 24, 2009 - 09:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's very scary for you Diana! I hope the vet can find a reason for this weird thing to happen.

When your passion is horses or any animals in our lives, there are times when you feel so out of control and it's scary... Good luck Diana.

Zealand is having some spongyness happening under her newly healed over wound. So this is a concern for us as well. If she doesn't improve in the next few days, we'll have to have the vet out again and take a look.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2591
Posted on Monday, August 24, 2009 - 09:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well, goodluck to you too, marilyn!! Vet came today, and tools weren't small enough to get in his mouth.....AND, no results from the lab yet....good thing he's not dying. LOL

Samantha
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 832
Posted on Monday, August 24, 2009 - 11:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana, so sorry you don't have an answer! Maybe you vet should borrow some tools from a dog vet LOL. I've actually never thought about how difficult it would be to do a mini's teeth, I don't think you could use a power float. My vet actually has some special little tools that he uses for mini's LOL.

Marilyn, good luck to you too! I hope Zealand pulls through allright, she's come this far, it would be such a shame to have any further complications.

Samantha
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 834
Posted on Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 07:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hows your boy doing Diana?

Marilyn, how about Zealand?

mary anne higgins
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 111
Posted on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 06:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

diana hows your boy doing any news yet?
hope hes feeling better and stopped frothing.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2603
Posted on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 04:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this is really weird, as i just answered this post on my laptop, and now it isn't here!! The vet came out on friday, and everything about Dynamite is normal (temp,respirations, etc). She was finally able to get into his mouth, and says he has a cap on a way way back tooth that's 1/2 way off. She couldn't reach it to help it off, but thinks that possibly he's just messing with it all night in his stall, therefore the foamy mouth in the mornings only. I put a ball in his stall and started feeding hay at night (to give him something else to do) and there hasn't been anymore foam since friday. Hopefully that's the only issue

mary anne higgins
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 112
Posted on Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 01:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

fingers crossed its just teething problems .xx

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 974
Posted on Monday, September 07, 2009 - 04:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana, has this resolved? Sure hope so. Can you post of a pic of him? I know advertising isn't allowed, but a regular pic should be okay. Would love to see him.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2621
Posted on Monday, September 07, 2009 - 05:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii281/kdgilger/DSC01758.jpg
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii281/kdgilger/DSC01761-1.jpg
This is Dynamite!! I dont' have many great size comparison photos, though you can kinda see how tall he is to my hubby in one pic. He's 25.5 inches tall, and gorgeous!! (I might be biased a tiny bit) LOL He is still foamy at tines, but he still has that cap too.......

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 977
Posted on Thursday, September 10, 2009 - 08:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good looking boy! How old is he? Hopefully the tooth cap is the only problem, which of course, will go away when he loses it.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2631
Posted on Thursday, September 10, 2009 - 11:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

he's 3....and is still foaming away....hasn't lost it yet, but doesn't show signs of anything else being wrong.

mary anne higgins
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 115
Posted on Sunday, September 13, 2009 - 12:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

he is so sexy .xx maybe hes just like jedi and gets excited and froths over his food or something
he likes . I will try and get a pic of jedi drooling for his tea lol.xx

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2635
Posted on Sunday, September 13, 2009 - 12:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well, now we have a whole new situation. He has been foamy, but it lessened after I gave him a ball and some hay at night. Yesterday I noticed he was doing it more than ever...it is all over his stall walls, his legs, etc. I looked in his mouth and it looks as if one of the girls has kicked his teeth out...one front is totally gone and one is broken. So now, the vet must come out in this nasty rainy muddy weather to try and knock him out and fix some stuff, so we'll likely pull the caps while he's out. What a mess!! I'll let you know how it all turns out. Thanks mary anne for the compliments...he is QUITE sexy...and he knows it!! haha!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 983
Posted on Sunday, September 13, 2009 - 10:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeeezzzzz Diana, what a sight that must be! You sound like you're taking it all in stride though.

Hasn't anyone told him that foaming at the mouth id NOT sexy? LOL

Samantha
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 850
Posted on Sunday, September 13, 2009 - 11:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana, be sure to take radiographs of his jaws... I've had two fratured jaws, neither of which were fun. One was an obvious kick to a three week old, fractured several teeth that needed to be removed, but he recovered fine. They kept him at the Clinic for 2 weeks, removing his muzzle every two hours to nurse. The other case was a yearling stud colt, we have no idea how he did it... he was by himself in a pipe pen enclosure. Anyways, he required emergency surgery to wire it back together. I don't remember either of them foaming really, but they wouldn't eat. The youngster wouldn't nurse. They also became senstive to handling their faces at all. The colt that injured himself as a yearling does have a bit of a parrot mouth now, not bad though. Other than that, he can wear a bit, and is completly normal.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2636
Posted on Monday, September 14, 2009 - 09:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks guys, the vet will be out this afternoon around 530...so I'll fill ya in as i know more. He seems to be eating just fine for now. Poor guy

mary anne higgins
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 116
Posted on Monday, September 14, 2009 - 02:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

any news yet?.
hope dynamites ok.xx

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2637
Posted on Monday, September 14, 2009 - 02:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not yet, vet is coming in about 4 hrs or so......he's grazing away as if nothing is wrong...obviously he hasn't seen his MOUTH!! HAHA!

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2640
Posted on Monday, September 14, 2009 - 10:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok guys....the vet left at 845 this evening, what a long and gruelling task taking care of Dynamite was! It was horrific, and I thought I would lose him a couple of times. We found no feasible way to leave him standing and take care of his teeth (he got floated and had caps removed), so we had to lay him down...in order to do that, she had to give him two different medications, then finally pull out the big guns and give him a paralytic. We finally got him down on the ground, and the vet went to work on him while LAYING DOWN.LOL...she's like, "I've never done it like this before..." But, all seemed to be going well and Dynamite woke up from the sleepy drugs only a few minutes in....he started flipping and flopping, crazy with the speculum in his mouth...fortunately, he's small enough my son and I could cover his eyes and hold him down until the vet could get another shot in him. Had to do that twice before finally getting done in his mouth. When he woke up the last time, we just called it done and let him wake up. Well, therein lied the problems....turns out, Dynamite can't really be normal. Haha!! Apparantly, the sleepy meds have very little affect on him, but the paralytic was working him over bigtime. So, he's awake, and in a panic, trying to get up and keeps falling and flopping and rolling everywhere. It was so scarey. Even the vet was like, "i've never seen this....and don't want to again." It was truly freaky!! I grabbed his tail and she held his head, and we stood there for like 20 minutes, keeping him from thrashing about in a mad panic.....then when it seemed it was wearing off, and all was turning 'normal' again....he went into seizures.His neck bent into a position I have never seen a horse neck go...and he just curled up and fell over. He stopped breathing, and I was positive the vet had killed my horse. LOL Anyhow, she gave him something else (i have no idea what, and my technical terminology is failing me in such a rush)....but he came out of it and is ok. SO....here's what she said. 1) she has never seen such black tarter on teeth in her life 2)he has gingivitis really bad 3) his mouth is so small he has apparantly been unable to shed his own caps, but they were loose enough that a bunch of grass and gunk had gotten b/w them and the new teeth, causing infection and nastiness. 4)she floated him and said his hooks were so bad that they were digging holes in his cheeks
AND.....she is suspect that the black tartar and gingivitis is caused by acid reflux or ulcers. She has put him on antibiotics and meds for ulcers, pulled 4 caps and the front broken tooth....and says if his foaming hasn't stopped in 10 days, that he gets to go on a road trip to OSU to the "gurus" to figure it out. YIKES....I certainly hope this has fixed him......poor guy, i have him on cam tonight , and he's propped himself up in the corner, sleeping it off

I dont' know if he'd appreciate visitors or not, but he's here
http://kdgilger.camstreams.com

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2238
Posted on Tuesday, September 15, 2009 - 07:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana, what a horrible thing to go through! You must have been out of your mind watching him seisure and carry on. I'm so relieved he was able to pull out of it.

Is he able to eat anything with such a sore mouth? I saw him on the cam and he looks like he's doing well. He was circling one way then the next and I was a little concerned until he layed down. Yea! I hope you were able to get some rest last night.

Good luck and hopefully he'll be 100% very soon.

Lots of prayers and well wishes going your way.
Marilyn

Linda Bauer --
Breeding Stock
Username: Llazyt

Post Number: 299
Posted on Tuesday, September 15, 2009 - 08:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How scary for you! Hope everything is good now.
Linda

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2641
Posted on Tuesday, September 15, 2009 - 10:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, he ate with a VENGANCE this morning, and when let out, went RUNNING and stomping around here like I haven't seen him do in a while! I guess I didn't really realize he seemed down at all, until seeing him act that way this morning. I assumed he had just slowed down because all his mares were bred.....he's a totally different horse this morning, and by all means STILL my crazy boy who LOVES getting into trouble with the girls!!! yay!!!!

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2239
Posted on Wednesday, September 16, 2009 - 06:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a relief Diana!!! I'm sure this took care of the problem and things will be getting back to normal for you. Yea!!!!!!

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2645
Posted on Wednesday, September 16, 2009 - 09:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After all this, I certainly hope so Marilyn!! How has Zealand's surgery gone? or has she had it yet?

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 989
Posted on Thursday, September 17, 2009 - 03:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana, I just checked back to see how things turned out with the vet visit, and OMG! What an ordeal. I can imagine you watching this all going on with your boy and hoping the vet would know what to do. I'm sure it was quite and ordeal for her too! Wow.

So very glad he seems okay now. Hope the drooling has stopped and the problems all stop here and now. I tried to look at the video, but have to download the site first. Just wanted to respond. Whew! Glad all appears to be well. Bet he feels so much better!

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1857
Posted on Monday, September 21, 2009 - 12:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana, How is Dynamite now??? I am hoping to hear the foaming has STOPPED and all is well!

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2651
Posted on Monday, September 21, 2009 - 12:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the foaming has indeed stopped!! He is on day 7 of antibiotics today (out of 10)...then he stays on the ulcer meds for 3 more weeks. So i guess I won't truly know if it was his teeth or ulcers until he's been off antibiotics for a while? He eats much slower, and doesn't kick his feeder anymore while he eats....it used to sound like he was building a new barn LOL. Wonder why this is?

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2250
Posted on Monday, September 21, 2009 - 02:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It sounds like he's a much happier horse Diana. I'll bet it doesn't hurt while he's eating now and isn't aggrevated. I'm so happy to hear he's doing better!

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2653
Posted on Monday, September 21, 2009 - 02:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks!!

sally cory
Neonate
Username: Sally_c

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, September 21, 2009 - 04:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm please to hear Dynamite is getting better, you've been through alot wih him the last few weeks.

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1859
Posted on Monday, September 21, 2009 - 06:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That great news!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US