SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Feeding in early pregnancy

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Feeding in early pregnancy « Previous Next »

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 954
Posted on Thursday, August 13, 2009 - 11:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have two pregnant mares, who are almost 120 days in foal. What should I be feeding them? Right now, they are getting grass hay and LMF Super Supplement grain, which is a complete nutrition, without the weight gain properties of some grains.

I am concerned that I need to start alfalfa? One mare is ideal weight. My second mare is a little overweight. She has reduced slowly on the current diet, but will be ridden more now that my riding class has started.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 955
Posted on Saturday, August 15, 2009 - 03:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Upon reading my post again, I realize that it might be confusing. The grain gives all the vitamins and minerals needed, but not the protein, etc.

So my question is, at what stage of pregnancy is alfalfa needed?

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 2543
Posted on Saturday, August 15, 2009 - 11:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you're going to end up knowing everybodys feeding plan now...LOL I never feed alfalfa, as it is way to rich for my minis. When I bred big horses, I didn't feed alfalfa then either! But, during about the last 90 days of pregnancy, I increase grain, and give them supplement with the extra stuff they need. I'm sure you'll get many more opinions here, but alfalfa is not necessary for pregnancy maintenance. Although, if you live in an area where good grass hay is "not so good"...I'd give alfalfa.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 961
Posted on Tuesday, August 18, 2009 - 03:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Diana. I hear so much conflicting information. I'm taking a class this fall (just started today) on Elements of Horse Production. We will learn about nutrition at some point, but I am winging it right now.

Bobbi Govro
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 1326
Posted on Tuesday, August 18, 2009 - 04:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cj: Hey Girl! I "echo" Diana in this. I don't feed alfalfa either. I did supplement our Timothy/Orchard grass hay with a few flakes two years ago but we had a really tough winter and the previous summer lacked in hay quality for my area. This year, I've fed zero alfalfa. Been lucky to have a great year in good hay production and both my mares have done well with udder development. I also step up my graining and supplements in the last trimester. Mares look great this year and have maintained excellent weight and appearance.

I have a friend of mine that feeds nothing but alfalfa. Don't really know if its by genetics, chance or her feeding regiment but she always, always has bone issues with her foals. Makes me almost wonder if the alfalfa is just way too high in protein and her mares aren't enough of some good ole roughage. Everybody is so different based on housing, environment and physical limitations of their area that I think nutrition programs are just always going to be varied from person to person.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 967
Posted on Monday, August 31, 2009 - 01:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank-you Bobbi and Diana. Well, I asked my teacher and she said grass hay is enough, but to be sure they get their minerals and vitamins. I'm doing that, so will hold off on the alfalfa until close to term. My girls will not be happy to hear that!! LOL

P.S. Bobbi, have you seen the new series, Jockey? Just wondered what you thought of it?

Chelsea Sharpe
Neonate
Username: Royalriders

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 12:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a mare that(if she is actually pregnant-will find out soon) is 5 months along. She is on 24/7 turn out(she's never been in a barn actually)and has free choice grass hay that is home grown. In addition to this she gets a little grain and a carrot or part of a sweet potatoe every evening. Do I need to add anything else vitamin/supplement wise?

Paige Dorsey
Neonate
Username: Realrush89

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 01:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the single biggest issue with feeding pregnant mares is,(depending on what part of the country you live in) taking them off any kind of fescue the last 90 days. No grass, no fescue hay, nothing, unless you have had your pasture tested to make sure it is endophyte free. Ingesting infected fescue grass or hay can affect everything from the mare's milk production up to and including death of the foal. You don't necessarily have to switch to alfalfa, but they definitely need to come off the fescue.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 2722
Posted on Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 02:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Depends on what kind of grain she's getting in my opinion. Yes, I'd like her not to be on endophyte infested grass, but prego mares need more vitamins than just grass hay and most feeds can accomplish. Here's a great site to read:
http://www.mirrorkbranch.com/article35.html

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US