SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Halter show Q's on a weanling

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Halter show Q's on a weanling « Previous Next »

Baraaks_Storm
Weanling
Username: Baraaks_storm

Post Number: 27
Posted on Sunday, July 19, 2009 - 09:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My friend is getting a weanling and is wondering what is the best feed for a weanling, how much to feed, the best hay, and any tips for Halter Showing a weanling. Filly is 4 months old I think.

Deb Anderson
Breeding Stock
Username: Bobs_mom

Post Number: 145
Posted on Monday, July 20, 2009 - 08:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It depends on the breed for halter tips.

She should ask what the filly was eating before and change SLOWLY only if necessary.

We add corn oil for a nice hair coat (start very small and increase to about 1 - 2 Tblsp - depending on the size of the filly. We also give all our horses a vit/min supplement appropriate for the size and age.

We use Mare and Foal blend until the foal is 1 year old.

Good luck - it is fun to show

Baraaks_Storm
Weanling

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, July 20, 2009 - 06:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, the filly is a Quarter Horse and he is slowly changing the feed.
Thanks for the help and if anyone is able to give tips on halter for a weanling quarter filly the tips would be appriciated.

Ann
Yearling
Username: Northernperch

Post Number: 86
Posted on Monday, July 20, 2009 - 08:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't help with halter tips for a QH..except to say that no matter ow much training you do at home, one yu get to the show, you will have a rodeo!

Good luck and if you do show, and you have to ship, I would suggest probiotics about 3 days prior to shipping!

Good luck to you!

Mary Greer
Breeding Stock
Username: Cowgirlup07

Post Number: 223
Posted on Monday, July 20, 2009 - 11:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In my training experiance of my QH foals (I've not had any fillies unfortunaly only colts) Have an easy hand and start them out just playing around 15-20 mins a day until they get good at just leading. NEVER let them wlk in front of or behind you, Always keep them at your shoulder even during the first stages because the walking in front of and behind are hard habbits to break. After she is leading good start her on trotting next to you, When that is established (most smart/willing foals will catch on in 2 or 3 days) start working on your left and right pivot but dont only work the front end or back work both so that you control her feet, get her pivoting on her hind end (left and right) first and work on pivoting the front end 2nd. You can enter mix these manuvers. Make sure during everything that you back her one or 2 steps every so often that way she looks at backing as a reward. If nessicary, I use a pig bat during trainng to tap them forward if they have been halter broke with a butt rope this makes things ALOT simpler for you and her both. Also make sure (for when she is being worked and for yearling lounge line) you start her on walking and trotting small circles around you, again, the "crop" comes in handy at this time. Do notuse the whip for punishment only for a smal incintive to move forward, back, and to the side. Just taps will do you shouldn't have to actually use it at all. I will post a video soon showing how to go about all of this if you think it would be simpler to watch then train.

Baraaks_Storm
Weanling

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, July 20, 2009 - 11:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, I'll let my friend know. I don't think he plans to go to any big shows, just local so he shouldn't have to ship but I'll tell him just in case.

Thanks again for all the tips!!!

Linda Bauer --Rebel foaled day 333
Breeding Stock
Username: Llazyt

Post Number: 290
Posted on Tuesday, July 21, 2009 - 09:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mary would love to see video. If you don't want to post here you can e-mail me @ llazyt@yahoo.com
Thanks

Mary Greer
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 224
Posted on Wednesday, July 22, 2009 - 09:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the wether is good I'll get them tomorrow. My colt is pretty much finished all I have left is finishing him on setting up and being "square" so he will be a prime example.I will also be taking videos soon of my yearling QH filly whom I purchased and she is very under schooled for her age so those videos will be more of an examle on training yongsters. I am no professional but all of my methods are 100% safe effective and gentil on the horses. I would greatly appreciate any input on stuff that anyone thinks should be done differently, I have been training for almost 13 years but I am ALWAYS open to try new things and learn more from other people. Sorry for any typos my keyboard isn't wanting to work right

Mary Greer
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 227
Posted on Tuesday, July 28, 2009 - 09:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are not good quality videos and Jack was kinda acting up alot cause he is camera shy but here are the training videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tm7MVEX7OI0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOkyFvrmJBM

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US